U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:14 PM

1,253 posts, read 666,860 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm a thirtysomething mom of three from Laguna Hills, California (Orange County) and about to relocate to the Cleveland area. I'm a California girl, but my husband is an Akron native, and has been offered a job there, and since Cali is becoming more expensive, more crowded, and less family-friendly by the day, I agreed to make the move.

I've been there a few times, and I like the area, but the weather will take some getting used to...but I think seeing snow will be fun, especially for my kids.

My hubby's job will be in Twinsburg, and we want to live south of there to be a bit closer to his family in Akron and Medina and we think we have it narrowed down to Bath, Richfield, or Hudson, based on the schools and the type of home/neighborhood we're looking for. I'm posting on both the Cleveland and Akron-Canton boards for feedback, since my desired areas are between both.

Our housing budget is $550,000 - $700,000, which in OC barely gets us a decent home, but as I discovered, gets us a lot of home in NE Ohio...thankfully, despite the down market, our house in Cali is nearly paid for and we should do pretty well on the sale, and can comfortably afford this range in Ohio.

I see that we should have no problem finding something in any of those communities, but here are my questions:

1. Prefer 4+ bedrooms. We're used to being very close to neighbors in CA, we'd like something 0.75 acres or better.

2. Good public schools--I believe that all three towns I mentioned are in the better schools in Summit County from what I've read.

3. Suburban living with some small-town community type feeling would be nice.

4. Relaxed pace of life but not isolated.

5. Things to do, but, a neighborhood that itself stays pretty quiet.

6. My husband and I lean conservative politically, and would prefer somewhere that is similar to our ideology, or, at least tolerant of it. Despite being from California, we're not liberals as many people would expect. Although OC is considered a "conservative" part of California, lately it seems like we're the only one's left who don't vote Democrat. This isn't meant to shun anyone here who may lean that way, I'm not looking for argument, just information about the areas we may move to!

Between the communities I've mentioned, what are some pros and cons, how are they the same and different?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM

442 posts, read 1,210,320 times
Well, just some info for you.

Love your handle by the way, if it means what I think it does.

Bath and Richfield both go into Revere schools, which are probably second-best in Summit County (Hudson is first). Both are ruralish communities, Bath is a tad more upscale, but Richfield has more high-end newer construction I think. Compared to Hudson, both communities have both more super-high (over 1M) end homes and low-end (under 150k).

Hudson has a much better "downtown" area and a more cohesive "community" feeling. Since Bath is a township, and Richfield is a township+village with no "real" town center, both communities just feel more like classic rural suburbia. Hudson, on the other hand, is a VERY old town, with upscale development around it. You can find both newer (post-1960s) large homes and well-kept historic homes in the center of town, and mostly new stuff out of it. However, due to building restrictions, there isn't much really new (after the late '90s) construction in Hudson. Bath and Richfield have more housing stock built after 2000.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,208 times
You'll love Hudson. It's a very family friendly community. I wish I could afford to live there. Also, I would recommend viewing the newspaper websites of these communities. You'll get a more balanced view, and be up-to-speed on important issues if you decide to move there. Try not to laugh too hard at the crime reports. Good luck in your search.

Hudson: Hudsonhubtimes.com - Breaking News, World & Local News, Sports & Multimedia

Twinsburg: Twinsburg, OH Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals

Here are some nearby locations...

Stow: Stowsentry.com - Breaking News, World & Local News, Sports & Multimedia

Solon: Solon, OH Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals

Old 04-08-2012, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,938 times
I just read Hudson's crime section. You probably should reconsider...

Egg thrown at vehicle: An Abbyshire Drive resident said someone threw an egg at his vehicle which was parked in his driveway March 31. No damage was reported. Surveillance camera footage showed a suspect exiting a vehicle and throwing the egg, then entering the vehicle and departing, according to the police report.

Building paint-balled: An employee of a fitness facility on Darrow Road said March 31 that someone paint-balled the outside of the building sometime during the night. More than 30 paint-balls were fired at the building. Damage was estimated at $150.

Suspicious man: A Hudson woman said March 29 that she saw a man smoking a cigarette in her backyard next to some trees at 6:54 a.m. An officer searched the area but could find no one in the yard. The woman said she had just awakened and maybe she had been dreaming. The officer reassured the resident and said he would be in the area for a while and encouraged her not to worry.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_thumb View Post
I just read Hudson's crime section. You probably should reconsider...

Egg thrown at vehicle: An Abbyshire Drive resident said someone threw an egg at his vehicle which was parked in his driveway March 31. No damage was reported. Surveillance camera footage showed a suspect exiting a vehicle and throwing the egg, then entering the vehicle and departing, according to the police report.

Building paint-balled: An employee of a fitness facility on Darrow Road said March 31 that someone paint-balled the outside of the building sometime during the night. More than 30 paint-balls were fired at the building. Damage was estimated at $150.

Suspicious man: A Hudson woman said March 29 that she saw a man smoking a cigarette in her backyard next to some trees at 6:54 a.m. An officer searched the area but could find no one in the yard. The woman said she had just awakened and maybe she had been dreaming. The officer reassured the resident and said he would be in the area for a while and encouraged her not to worry.
There's no way we can move there!! Haha...even Laguna Hills, which has rather low crime by Cali standards, has a lot more going on than Hudson!

Sounds like what we're looking for.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_thumb View Post

Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,460 times
Live in Hudson now. Moved from Solon to Twinsburg to FINALLY Hudson (don't ask why it took us so long). We love it and haven't met anyone else who hasn't. PROs and CONs to every town so take what you read with a grain of salt.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 AM

2,358 posts, read 1,691,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
Hi everyone. I'm a thirtysomething mom of three from Laguna Hills, California (Orange County) and about to relocate to the Cleveland area. I'm a California girl, but my husband is an Akron native, and has been offered a job there, and since Cali is becoming more expensive, more crowded, and less family-friendly by the day, I agreed to make the move.

I've been there a few times, and I like the area, but the weather will take some getting used to...but I think seeing snow will be fun, especially for my kids.

My hubby's job will be in Twinsburg, and we want to live south of there to be a bit closer to his family in Akron and Medina and we think we have it narrowed down to Bath, Richfield, or Hudson, based on the schools and the type of home/neighborhood we're looking for. I'm posting on both the Cleveland and Akron-Canton boards for feedback, since my desired areas are between both.

Our housing budget is $550,000 - $700,000, which in OC barely gets us a decent home, but as I discovered, gets us a lot of home in NE Ohio...thankfully, despite the down market, our house in Cali is nearly paid for and we should do pretty well on the sale, and can comfortably afford this range in Ohio.

I see that we should have no problem finding something in any of those communities, but here are my questions:

1. Prefer 4+ bedrooms. We're used to being very close to neighbors in CA, we'd like something 0.75 acres or better.

2. Good public schools--I believe that all three towns I mentioned are in the better schools in Summit County from what I've read.

3. Suburban living with some small-town community type feeling would be nice.

4. Relaxed pace of life but not isolated.

5. Things to do, but, a neighborhood that itself stays pretty quiet.

6. My husband and I lean conservative politically, and would prefer somewhere that is similar to our ideology, or, at least tolerant of it. Despite being from California, we're not liberals as many people would expect. Although OC is considered a "conservative" part of California, lately it seems like we're the only one's left who don't vote Democrat. This isn't meant to shun anyone here who may lean that way, I'm not looking for argument, just information about the areas we may move to!

Between the communities I've mentioned, what are some pros and cons, how are they the same and different?

Thanks!!
I was born in Akron and moved from there in 92 when I went to college. Akron is a nice town and is pretty laid back. I see no reason to live in suburbia, despite what many say about the city on these fourms there are still a lot of good, safe, neighborhoods within the city itself. Cleveland is a bit of a different story, it was always a rough town, and I'm sure given the downfall in the economy is in an even worse position than it was when I was around but OTOH there are vibrant areas downtown that are nice. However I do like the sheer size of the city, it is really a place that you can get lost in. You can't really say that about Akron as it is on a much smaller scale; you
have to look at the entire county or perhaps even Canton to get the same scale that you get within the city alone in Cleveland. I'm not saying that Akron is not without its problems, but to be fair, from what I've seen in Virginia, DC, NY, and NJ, Akron is a breath of fresh air compared to the problems they have in those places. Transportation, cost of living, the sheer number of transients, which is often in the hundreds of thousands and the isolation you feel because no one stays in one place for long for more than a few years are serious issues in those areas I've mentioned.

The Cleveland Metro area is definitely a lot more dense and perhaps far more urban than what you're accustomed to in Orange County. That may or may not translate into a faster pace than OC. Even in suburbia, it just seems to be in a different lane than Akron. I would think that the Cleveland suburbs would have good schools though.

Short answer; if you like large metropolitan areas of which there is no end in sight and want to get lost look at the Cleveland area and if you want something that is large enough, but you can get to where you need to go in under an hour (or even under a half hour in some cases), stick with Akron. They are different as night and day. Just keep in mind in Cleveland you will have those long commutes people complain about in areas like DC, Virginia, where you're at now, NY, etc and all of the problems that go along with it.

Akron gives you enough of the city without overwhelming you, and you don't have to go out to suburbia to find peace of mind. Suburbia is just an added bonus if that is the type of lifestyle you're looking for. What about Twinsburg itself though? Its still in Summit County. To be honest you could live just about anywhere within Summit County to find what you're looking for, the county isn't that big and it would not be that much of a commute.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,216 times
I have lived in Hudson for 15 years, moved from nyc area, very ct/mass feeling of community, visited laguna beach about three years ago, believe u will find best fit in hudson and for your price range a great home. the larger upscale neighborhoods have pools, there is no outdoor water parks or rec centers like twinsburg has which are fantastic, but hubby working in town there can join the family, excellent facilities and if u be republican u will be in the heart of the gop for summit county. Plus schools fantastic, downtown walk friendly, upscale restaurants, shops, easy highway access to ohio turnpike, 10 min care free ride to twinsburg, 30 minutes to cleveland for sports,concerts,restaurants u would be crazy not to buy in hudson

Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM

3,357 posts, read 3,029,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I was born in Akron and moved from there in 92 when I went to college. Akron is a nice town and is pretty laid back. I see no reason to live in suburbia, despite what many say about the city on these fourms there are still a lot of good, safe, neighborhoods within the city itself. Cleveland is a bit of a different story, it was always a rough town, and I'm sure given the downfall in the economy is in an even worse position
You must not get up here much.

Quote:
The Cleveland Metro area is definitely a lot more dense and perhaps far more urban than what you're accustomed to in Orange County. That may or may not translate into a faster pace than OC. Even in suburbia, it just seems to be in a different lane than Akron. I would think that the Cleveland suburbs would have good schools though.
Orange County is a very urban setting.

Quote:
Short answer; if you like large metropolitan areas of which there is no end in sight and want to get lost look at the Cleveland area and if you want something that is large enough, but you can get to where you need to go in under an hour (or even under a half hour in some cases), stick with Akron. They are different as night and day. Just keep in mind in Cleveland you will have those long commutes people complain about in areas like DC, Virginia, where you're at now, NY, etc and all of the problems that go along with it.

Akron gives you enough of the city without overwhelming you, and you don't have to go out to suburbia to find peace of mind. Suburbia is just an added bonus if that is the type of lifestyle you're looking for. What about Twinsburg itself though? Its still in Summit County. To be honest you could live just about anywhere within Summit County to find what you're looking for, the county isn't that big and it would not be that much of a commute.
^Someone from the Greater LA area will get a good snicker out of this.

TBH Crue, all of the suburbs you are looking at are fine (Bath and Richfield are adjacent and have the same school system). At your price range, you can buy a fantastic home just about anywhere that easily fits what you're looking for. Being from OC, you'll probably find that the Cleveland/Akron dynamic is similar to LA/OC only on a smaller and far less congested scale. Akron is a satellite city of Cleveland, the economies are very closely intertwined, and most of the northern Summit county suburbs are closer in identity to Cleveland than Akron. As for politics, OH is a swing state that is more blue the closer you get to urban centers. The political mood gets more contentious around Election Day, but you wouldn't likely know much difference any other time. IMO, if you let your politics dictate where you live or who you fraternize with, you'll probably wind up kicking yourself eventually. Some of my better friends and I are diametrically opposed on many a political issue. It makes for lively debate, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton