Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,301 times

Advertisements

So We just got back from a house hunting trip in Akron--my husband will be working at the U of Akron this fall, and we both liked different houses. Mine was on Sunnyside Ave in Akron and his is in Munroe Falls. (We have three kids 9, 7, and 2) and I know the schools are rated much higher in Munroe Falls, but I visited a few school in Akron (Resnick and King) and liked them too. Can families live in the city or should I give up and head to the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslismith View Post
So We just got back from a house hunting trip in Akron--my husband will be working at the U of Akron this fall, and we both liked different houses. Mine was on Sunnyside Ave in Akron and his is in Munroe Falls. (We have three kids 9, 7, and 2) and I know the schools are rated much higher in Munroe Falls, but I visited a few school in Akron (Resnick and King) and liked them too. Can families live in the city or should I give up and head to the suburbs?
That's ultimately a personal choice you'll have to make. I live not far from Sunnyside (relatively speaking) and I really enjoy living over here. King and Resnik are both great schools. King's PTA is really, really active, and they generally have an annual budget approaching six figures (I mention that because they are really able to help out the school, teachers, and students). Akron also has some absolutely amazing magnet middle schools - STEM [5-8] and Miller South [4-8] - which I can absolutely, positively guarantee none of the suburban districts have any sort of equivalent to (how many 4th grade classes take field trips to NYC?). People open enroll their kids from the suburbs to go there. You'll also have company in that neighborhood as there are other UA staff and professors that live and send their kids to the local schools. You will also find that most of the type of people you'll find around there are the same type of people you would find in the suburbs - mostly white collar professionals.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of crappy neighborhoods and plenty of crappy schools in the city, but not all neighborhoods are made the same, and that area of NW Akron is definitely a good one.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask away.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,824 times
I have always heard good things about King.
Although....Square - - they tore down the old King elementary and are starting over....where are they sending the kids in the meantime?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,824 times
Isn't Sunnyside where some of the rich people of the Merriman area reside?
I wouldnt think that you would have any problems over there. I live down North Portage Path in Highland Square and have been in this area for years - I think you would be ok on Sunnyside.
Munroe Falls is nice though.

Personal choice, as Square mentioned....

Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrrl77 View Post
I have always heard good things about King.
Although....Square - - they tore down the old King elementary and are starting over....where are they sending the kids in the meantime?
400 W Market @ Aqueduct

Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
Munroe Falls is great! I have lived in Cuyahoga Falls, Ravenna, Akron(near Highland Square). All of these are great areas. The school systems are great, and crime is low in these areas.

Now to answer your real quesiton. If you want the "family" atmosphere to be nice and quiet, Munroe Falls is it. If you do not mind the hustle of the city...Akron would be okay as well. It sounds like the house is in a decent area, so there are no worries there. But education was huge for my twins...so if you have narrowed it down to 2, Munroe Falls is the best all around answer.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 16,762 times
you might also check out austin estates in barberton--all the schools are new and academics are very good.also,not far from akron u
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton