U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:19 AM

96 posts, read 76,275 times

Advertisements

I found this article (FOX 8 Best Breakfast, 2012) and from that list I'm leaning towards either Freds Diner in Akron or Enchanted Cafe in Barberton. What do you recommend?

Then, after visiting the football hall of fame I'll want a good lunch place before driving over to Wheeling. Any places you'd recommend?

I prefer places with local flavor, and want to avoid large chains. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,192,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I found this article (FOX 8 Best Breakfast, 2012) and from that list I'm leaning towards either Freds Diner in Akron or Enchanted Cafe in Barberton. What do you recommend?

Then, after visiting the football hall of fame I'll want a good lunch place before driving over to Wheeling. Any places you'd recommend?

I prefer places with local flavor, and want to avoid large chains. Thanks in advance.
In my breakfast travels I don't think I've run into anything that is really blockbuster. Fred's does have a good reputation. Wally Waffle is a local staple, Valley Cafe isn't bad, etc. etc.

Lunch around the HOF? It is actually in kind of an awkward location off an expressway exit. There are several good restaurants in downtown Canton as well as Belden Village, just depends which direction you want to go. For local flavor I would go downtown, BV is loaded with chains.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 AM

993 posts, read 1,230,076 times
I've actually been meaning to try Wally Waffle for a while now.

Once I heard that Rubber City Clothing was considering making WW t-shirts I thought to myself: Okay self, time to finally try this place.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post

Lunch around the HOF?...

... just depends which direction you want to go.
From the HOF we'll be driving on to Wheeling.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,192,324 times
Quote:
From the HOF we'll be driving on to Wheeling.
No no, either way has easy access to the expressway. I just mean that downtown and Belden Village are in opposite directions.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,070,580 times
Lunch in Canton:

I've always liked Grinders & Such if you are looking for a cheaper lunch ($5-10) - there is one about a mile or so from the HOF on Whipple Ave. (just go west on Fulton, stay to the left to continue on Hills & Dales, first light is Whipple, turn right and it will be very quickly on your right side). As square pointed out, there are a bunch of chain restaurants in Belden Village and along the Strip if you want something familiar.

For breakfast, not sure if you wanted to specifically keep that in Akron, but there is a nice little restaurant on Portage Rd. in Jackson Twp. right off I-77 near the Strip called Samantha's. Good food at reasonable prices.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM

Default Thanks! We enjoyed it...

To close the loop on this, we got a late start so did enjoy breakfast in Barberton but didn't have lunch in Canton. The football hall of fame was great.

Breakfast at the Enchanted Cafe was really very good. If you haven't been, give it a try. Their pancakes were nice and chewy, and I had sausage gravy poured over it (instead of biscuits & gravy, it was a pancake & gravy) - it was great. They also make a baklava and my wife and I tried some. It was by far the best baklava we've ever had. Light & crispy. Many places put too much honey where the bottom becomes soaked like a piece of chewy leather. Not good. This was excellent.

Give it a try there! And, thanks for all the inputs. We enjoyed our brief time in the area.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 PM

993 posts, read 1,230,076 times
Quote:
We enjoyed our brief time in the area.
Echo, I see that you're from Sunnyvale.

When I was recently in the Bay Area, I talked to a trolley car operator who said he'd been to Ohio, and wanted to go back to visit again. My response was basically "why would you want to do that?" He told me that he stayed in Kent, and eat at "some burger place" that he and his friends absolutely loved.

Turns out that "burger place" was Swenson's.

No one can resist a galley boy.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 AM

15 posts, read 9,835 times
Quote:

Enchanted Cafe is really good. I've been there a number of times and have never had meal. The places that are good to eat by the HOF are chain restaurants. Personally, I like Bravo or Quaker Steak. Good Luck!!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 AM

775 posts, read 806,295 times
I'd recommend Taggarts for lunch.. the food isn't anything to write home about..but the ice cream is excellent and it's just down the road from the HOF

Taggarts Ice Cream Parlor & Restaurant Canton Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton