Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,386,206 times

Advertisements

First, I must say that for a town the size of Akron, we should feel priviledged to have two health food groceries in the area. Many cities much larger than Akron do not have such a convenience.

I have always loved the Mustard Seed, but am taking a "survey" as to whether you prefer the locally owned Seed, or the new kid on the block, the Asheville based chain Earth Fare.

(Alas, please don't post if all you're going to do is tell me that you do all your shopping at Giant Eagle or Acme, and it's foolish to "waste" money on organic/healthy foods. I am a firm believer in organic, and like to watch what I put into my body. Obviously, so do many others.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,012,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
First, I must say that for a town the size of Akron, we should feel priviledged to have two health food groceries in the area. Many cities much larger than Akron do not have such a convenience.

I have always loved the Mustard Seed, but am taking a "survey" as to whether you prefer the locally owned Seed, or the new kid on the block, the Asheville based chain Earth Fare.

(Alas, please don't post if all you're going to do is tell me that you do all your shopping at Giant Eagle or Acme, and it's foolish to "waste" money on organic/healthy foods. I am a firm believer in organic, and like to watch what I put into my body. Obviously, so do many others.)
Glad that the NE Ohio area is getting a nice store like Earth Fare. I haven't been to the location in Akron, but have to believe since it is newer that it is as nice if not nicer than the one we have here in Columbia, and if that's the case, it gets my vote hands down. The store here is very clean and organized, and they have pretty good deals if you sign up to get a weekly email on their website. Great meat selection and deli as well.

Earth Fare is going to get some stiff competition here in the coming months though as a Whole Foods is building a location about a mile or so away, and a Trader Joes is rumored to be coming in the next year or so as well. But, I'm all for good competition in the healthy/organic foods market, can only mean better prices in the long run!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Glad that the NE Ohio area is getting a nice store like Earth Fare. I haven't been to the location in Akron, but have to believe since it is newer that it is as nice if not nicer than the one we have here in Columbia, and if that's the case, it gets my vote hands down. The store here is very clean and organized, and they have pretty good deals if you sign up to get a weekly email on their website. Great meat selection and deli as well.

Earth Fare is going to get some stiff competition here in the coming months though as a Whole Foods is building a location about a mile or so away, and a Trader Joes is rumored to be coming in the next year or so as well. But, I'm all for good competition in the healthy/organic foods market, can only mean better prices in the long run!
How funny that a South Carolinian would respond to my question. I am in the process of moving back to Akron after a year in the Upstate. Actually, the Earth Fare was one of the few highlights I've had while living here, and I'll be glad to get back "home".

Old 05-29-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
How funny that a South Carolinian would respond to my question. I am in the process of moving back to Akron after a year in the Upstate. Actually, the Earth Fare was one of the few highlights I've had while living here, and I'll be glad to get back "home".
Been here 5 years now...no intentions of moving back to NE Ohio at this point, but never say never! Still visit Ohio at least 2 or 3 times/year. What about the upstate was so disappointing to you?

Doesn't Greenville have a Whole Foods as well?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM

50,117 posts, read 63,506,690 times
Wow, Earth Fare is new since I lived there. I hope they both can thrive. I miss the Mustard Seed. Even though I'm not a vegetarian or organic food eater. I always loved the food at Mustard Seed.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Been here 5 years now...no intentions of moving back to NE Ohio at this point, but never say never! Still visit Ohio at least 2 or 3 times/year. What about the upstate was so disappointing to you?

Doesn't Greenville have a Whole Foods as well?
Yes, they do have a Whole Foods.

I can't take the ultra-conservatism. I also found there is very little to do...you have to drive miles to get to a hiking trail and there are few museums, there are hardly any bookstores or CD shops, the newspaper is real right wing, and the religion thing is just too far overboard for me.

If I could shift the weather in Greenville to Cleveland.....everything would be great living in Ohio.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, Earth Fare is new since I lived there. I hope they both can thrive. I miss the Mustard Seed. Even though I'm not a vegetarian or organic food eater. I always loved the food at Mustard Seed.
What's really weird is that they are only a block away from each other.

I agree about the Mustard Seed. The cafe is my all time favorite restaurant. I nevre, ever had a bad meal there.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:

If I could shift the weather in Greenville to Cleveland.....everything would be great living in Ohio.
I would probably move back to Ohio (or never have moved in the first place) as well if the weather were what it is here!

You may have liked Columbia or Charleston a little better than Greenville as while religion/faith is still a big deal, it isn't nearly as conservative as the upstate is known to be. In fact, Richland County almost always favors Democrats in elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton