Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times

Advertisements

It seems at least once a week some kind of a crime is committed in Highland square.

I remember when the Crosby & Valley st area was becoming bad . the west side neighbors used to patrol the area and report unsavory people to law enforcement.

the only problem with that today is that one would be risking a bullet fired at them .

The Mayor seems to address crime as a insignificant problem in Akron......maybe the new police officers will help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM

122 posts, read 482,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
It seems at least once a week some kind of a crime is committed in Highland square.

I remember when the Crosby & Valley st area was becoming bad . the west side neighbors used to patrol the area and report unsavory people to law enforcement.

the only problem with that today is that one would be risking a bullet fired at them .

The Mayor seems to address crime as a insignificant problem in Akron......maybe the new police officers will help?
It is sad to read this. As a tourist, I would not have guessed that there was so much crime there. I was just up there visiting family last week and my brother met me for a night out in the Square. We hit all the bars of our youth (all the names have changed) along W. Market and had a great time. We left about midnight before it got crazy but I have to say that everyone I encountered was very friendly and I felt very safe walking to the car which was parked on a side street.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
It's not really, one kid with a bb gun got arrested for most of it.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times
It's not dangerous at all. It's sort of annoying when things like this happen. It never fails that some suburbanite that I work with reads about a burglary in the newspaper and informs me that Highland Square is "dangerous". Really? That's interesting, because I was just walking around past midnight last night...

In typical Highland Square fashion, someone put up a huge sign at the corner of Market and Casterton that reads: "STOP BURGLARIZING OUR NEIGHBORHOOD. IT'S LAME"

LOL...I wouldn't worry about HS going the way of West Hill.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:36 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
I read online that there are plans to develop part of the north side of Market Street with some apartments over ground level retail. They would tear down the apartments across the street from the existing retail strip and build it there. Anyone know anything about that?

FYI: Highland Square is easily the most interesting neighborhood in Akron and anyone who thinks it's a rough must lead an extremely sheltered life.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I read online that there are plans to develop part of the north side of Market Street with some apartments over ground level retail. They would tear down the apartments across the street from the existing retail strip and build it there. Anyone know anything about that?

FYI: Highland Square is easily the most interesting neighborhood in Akron and anyone who thinks it's a rough must lead an extremely sheltered life.
They tore them down several weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton