U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 PM

20 posts, read 43,072 times

Advertisements

Due to my mother getting older, she will be moving to Medina, Ohio to live near my brother and my own sense of missing family, I am considering moving from Florida to Medina. I am worried about the adjustment with the winter weather, but especially the number of gray days up there! Although I am from the north, I moved away at 17 and have lived in Florida and the Bahamas for a really long time.

I do miss the change of seasons and am tired of flat old Florida and am getting tired of being on-edge through hurricane season every year!
One big issue is the difference in the cost of living, when I looked up "Bestplaces.net" which allows you to compare what you are currently earning and what you would need to earn in the new location, just to be on par, the Medina area would require I earn almost $4,000 more a year! I work in the Social Services field so that might be difficult.

I just wondered if anyone had made that transition and what they have experienced. Trying to weigh the pros and cons.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,210,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL13 View Post
Due to my mother getting older, she will be moving to Medina, Ohio to live near my brother and my own sense of missing family, I am considering moving from Florida to Medina. I am worried about the adjustment with the winter weather, but especially the number of gray days up there! Although I am from the north, I moved away at 17 and have lived in Florida and the Bahamas for a really long time.

I do miss the change of seasons and am tired of flat old Florida and am getting tired of being on-edge through hurricane season every year!
One big issue is the difference in the cost of living, when I looked up "Bestplaces.net" which allows you to compare what you are currently earning and what you would need to earn in the new location, just to be on par, the Medina area would require I earn almost $4,000 more a year! I work in the Social Services field so that might be difficult.

I just wondered if anyone had made that transition and what they have experienced. Trying to weigh the pros and cons.
Thank you!
Left you a response on the Cleveland forum.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,966 times
I always here that older people who live in the North are more likely to find ease and comfort in being accomodated by the warmer weather in the South...because it's easier on the joints.
Maybe you should rethink that.
And as far as the "gray days" as many people would like to call it, remember this one catch phrase..."THIS.....IS...SPARTAAAHHHHH!!"

Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 PM

355 posts, read 626,308 times
Personally I would not move.......It'll be the dead of winter, 20 some degrees for the umteenth day, your skin will be dry and cracked. You need to wear long underwear under your work clothes. As a matter of fact you won't even want to leave the house december to march because of the weather. When the sun finally comes out again which is rare you will feel like you've been a mole living underground in the dark because it's been so long. You'll want to kick yourself for leaving Florida and wish you were back and could feel the sun on your face and go to the grocery store without taking 15 minutes before you leave to suit yourself up in arctic gear and have to meander around stiff legged from all the layers. I am so glad I left and never have to deal with that winter again. Just think hard as you might really regret it.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 AM

11 posts, read 10,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
Personally I would not move.......It'll be the dead of winter, 20 some degrees for the umteenth day, your skin will be dry and cracked. You need to wear long underwear under your work clothes. As a matter of fact you won't even want to leave the house december to march because of the weather. When the sun finally comes out again which is rare you will feel like you've been a mole living underground in the dark because it's been so long. You'll want to kick yourself for leaving Florida and wish you were back and could feel the sun on your face and go to the grocery store without taking 15 minutes before you leave to suit yourself up in arctic gear and have to meander around stiff legged from all the layers. I am so glad I left and never have to deal with that winter again. Just think hard as you might really regret it.
I totally agree . . .it's definitely not fun in the winter at all. Last year's winter was pretty mild, but that's not always the case. If you have to move, you have to move, but . . .something to think about!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,210,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
Oh man I think I stumbled into the Siberia forum by mistake.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 AM

2,863 posts, read 2,160,052 times
Common, Ohio doesn't have real winters, it's never ending freeze and melt that will get ya annoyed. I would trade freeze & melt Ohio winter for a steady 15-20F real winter in a heartbeat.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:38 AM

20 posts, read 43,072 times
Wow, great feedback, thank you all so much! That is the one thing I want to avoid, going through a major move and then regretting it because I am so uncomfortable.
But....the thing I am getting tired of here in Florida is the season right now.....constantly watching the Weather Channel because each storm out there could be headed towards FL and could be bad. I have to stock up on my hurricane prep stuff in the next day or so. I hate this time of year! The storm part of it is bad but it is worse when you have to go a week to 10 days without electricity!
As far as the responder who suggested bringing my mother to FL, she is not interested in that and her grandchildren are in Ohio.
Looking at job possibilities in Akron and Cleveland. Still undecided what to do! It is that winter weather that scares me; wouldn't be bad if I didn't have to commute in ice and snow in the winter! And....all those gray days!
Say a prayer for us that the storms continue to miss us this season.
2004 was the worst I had ever experienced with back to back hurricanes, it devastated our area!
I had to go and live with friends due to no power at the house for 10 days!
I know Ohio had a really hot summer, hope you get to enjoy a great Fall season!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM

17,253 posts, read 20,348,713 times
I am missing Medina so much right now with the change of seasons. I do not regret moving from there, though, because of the winter lack of sunshine. I can deal with the cold, but not the gray winter.
Is there any way you and your mother could go to FL for a few months in the winter. This would be perfect.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 AM

216 posts, read 188,837 times
I've never lived in NE Ohio, but Ohio south of I-70 has plenty of sunny days in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton