U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 14,944 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to the Akron-Cleveland area. I've been reading posts about the cities adjacent to Akron (where husband will work) and found Hudson and Aurora to be very interesting. We are a young couple with a two year old, we are both professionals who work full time. We live in NY area, so we are VERY used to Maserati, Porsche, Range Rover and 10 million dollar houses all around us (we don't live in one! just neighbors). So, soccer moms driving a Lexus won't be an issue. The most important things for us in this order are: safety, good school system (currently she attends Montessori school, and would love to continue in Montessori system up to Kindergarten), nice homes, convenient shopping, lots of kids activities and young couples around (not necessary, but would love to live in a place where I'm not the second youngest after my 2 year old, like now). We are looking for something in the 400's.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 AM

733 posts, read 640,598 times
I'd look in North Canton.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM

11 posts, read 7,572 times
The North Canton/Jackson Twp area is an option and I would also look around Portage Lakes which is in Summit County the same as Akron. North Canton is in Stark County a little farther south but still a fairly easy commute straight up 77.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,199,708 times
North Canton proper doesn't offer what they are looking for, particularly $400k houses - more like $100k ranch houses. Jackson would be closer. The school districts around Portage Lakes are so-so. Hudson is all around a good fit. Aurora strikes me more as random McDevelopments dropped in cornfields but probably fits as well, but a longer commute. If I had to pick one I would say Hudson. They also have a great walkable shopping district. I would also check Bath on the northwest side. It works for Lebron and the shopping is more robust.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 AM

145 posts, read 94,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
North Canton proper doesn't offer what they are looking for, particularly $400k houses - more like $100k ranch houses.
Not true. Just N of N.Canton (technically Lake Township but N.Canton School district) has plenty of homes in the $400 upwards to near $1000 (St. James Place). There are also plenty of high end homes between Applegrove and Mt.Pleasant.

Also it is not sure if the OP is calibrating that $400K to Tuxedo Park prices or Stark County prices. $400K in Stark Country will probably get you an $800K home in Orange County.

Happy house hunting!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 AM

2,048 posts, read 1,318,113 times
Check out Hills and Dales Village in Canton. Beautiful, large historical homes, 5 minutes from a shopping mecca, next to a golf course, 5 minutes to Rt 77 with easy access to Akron. This is an old money neighborhood and the homes have a European charm. The homes also have very nice mature lanscaping and sit on large lots.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM

10 posts, read 14,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
North Canton proper doesn't offer what they are looking for, particularly $400k houses - more like $100k ranch houses. Jackson would be closer. The school districts around Portage Lakes are so-so. Hudson is all around a good fit. Aurora strikes me more as random McDevelopments dropped in cornfields but probably fits as well, but a longer commute. If I had to pick one I would say Hudson. They also have a great walkable shopping district. I would also check Bath on the northwest side. It works for Lebron and the shopping is more robust.
Thanks! I think I made my mind. Hudson seems like the place for us. I want something in the middle between Akron and Cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton