Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM

32 posts, read 81,157 times

Advertisements

After an extra long wait wherein I was unsure what we would do, we are nearing the top of the list for the housing authority in Akron. They said we could have a place within a month and a half or so probably since I don't have a criminal record which kind of concerned me that having a criminal record was something that came up in an initial conversation.

I'm hoping the wait is not longer. However, I'm concerned about the safety of living in these communities. I want to move to a place where my child can grow up. I don't want to move again until he possibly wants us to move into a house, or if he doesn't want to move, we just stay until he's 18.

I've seen that there are upwards of 20 different properties on the AMHA list, however, I don't know where they will have openings for us. Also, I've heard a few stories that even though the properties look decent or even very nice on the outside, they are full of drug dealers and single women with a lot of dangerous types of guys they're dating coming in and out. I've heard the communities have violence and other sorts of trouble because of the residents. I don't want to raise a child around that type of thing. I know Wilbeth Arlington looked nice when I drove past it, but I've heard those bad things about the residents there. Is this the same across the board with these properties? If so, I'll have to find another solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Public housing is supposed to be temporary. You don't plan on moving up in life? Willing to stay until the child is 18 if he doesn't want to move? Do you plan on always staying unemployed or under employed?

You child will have the worst role models possible in public housing.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 PM

Oh I didn't know it wasn't long term. I just thought it was income based and long term. I never lived in it before.

I lost one of my jobs because of harassment from my son's father and members of my family, one that he cheated on me with, and needed to move to a place that was more affordable so I don't have to depend on him any further in case they keep trying to keep interfering in our lives financially and otherwise.

When I moved to Ohio, I went into the domestic violence program because of these harassment issues and they told me to get on several lists, one being the AMHA one. However, I really want to live somewhere long term because I don't want us to have to move again. So you've actually answered my question in a way I didn't realize. I want my son to have a long term home until he's ready to move somewhere else, not because I don't want to earn more money, just because he's a child. I want him to have friends and a long term home is all. I'm actually taking classes now to earn more money. Thank you for your answer.

Last edited by cdy17; 06-12-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,794 times
amha is full of people who abuse the system if you want role models for your child get a job and rent a apt in a nice area and keep your child away from the free ride people

Old 06-15-2013, 05:35 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy17 View Post
I want my son to have a long term home until he's ready to move somewhere else, not because I don't want to earn more money, just because he's a child. I want him to have friends and a long term home is all. I'm actually taking classes now to earn more money. Thank you for your answer.
If you can manage it, you should really find a couple part time jobs and pay the money to live in a decent neighborhood, at least for your kids sake. Akron rent is really cheap. Almost anywhere in Akron would be preferable to public housing.

Public housing should be an absolute last resort. And yes, it's not supposed to be permanent, but the vast majority of people living there are permanent residents.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy17 View Post
After an extra long wait wherein I was unsure what we would do, we are nearing the top of the list for the housing authority in Akron. They said we could have a place within a month and a half or so probably since I don't have a criminal record which kind of concerned me that having a criminal record was something that came up in an initial conversation.

I'm hoping the wait is not longer. However, I'm concerned about the safety of living in these communities. I want to move to a place where my child can grow up. I don't want to move again until he possibly wants us to move into a house, or if he doesn't want to move, we just stay until he's 18.

I've seen that there are upwards of 20 different properties on the AMHA list, however, I don't know where they will have openings for us. Also, I've heard a few stories that even though the properties look decent or even very nice on the outside, they are full of drug dealers and single women with a lot of dangerous types of guys they're dating coming in and out. I've heard the communities have violence and other sorts of trouble because of the residents. I don't want to raise a child around that type of thing. I know Wilbeth Arlington looked nice when I drove past it, but I've heard those bad things about the residents there. Is this the same across the board with these properties? If so, I'll have to find another solution.
I grew up in Akron, it isn't that bad of a place to live at all in comparison to say, Cleveland or Dayton. Akron can be sketchy though. If you do get into the projects do what you can to get out of them as soon as you get in. To be honest, one of the poorer, Section 8 neighborhoods in the surrounding suburbs would probably be preferable, but that list is usually an even longer wait than the actual housing projects in the city.

But yes you are right, Akron never looks as bad as it actually is; particularly on the West side. Akron is relatively cheap though, I mean, if you're making at least $10 to $15 an hour you should be able to afford an apartment in a decent neighborhood. If you're referring to the actual Ave. (you mentioned Arlington) that place used to have an "open air" type of environment to it, for lack of a better term. I never did care for the East side of the city at all. If you have any choice in the matter I would move to the North side of the city. They've closed up the projects and it is more working class than it used to be. The 'hoods are a lot smaller than they are on the East side and easier to navigate, if you find that you have no other option but to live there.

Another one of the reasons Akron doesn't look so bad is because it is hilly, so it is built out differently. Think more Washington DC, Pittsburgh, etc. and you begin to understand why neighborhoods in Akron look the way that they do. Only other city in Ohio like this is Cincinnati.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:49 PM

I've seen the East Side. All I can say is whoa. There were some houses for rent on Craigslist and we went to drive by and check them out. Men were actually jogging for a bit towards my car like I would actually pull over my car and let them try to talk to me. I was yelled at by men on foot like 3 times just driving to look at the houses and the houses themselves looked to be in pretty bad shape and the neighborhoods too were some okay and some not okay. The places around the houses themselves were pretty bad as well. I can't say the whole east side was like that, but I wound up driving around there for 20-40 minutes or so total and what I saw was pretty scary. Even the large groups of people I drove past hanging outside of stores and carry outs etc., did not look like nice people.

Please tell me what you guys think of these locations. From driving through at 5pm etc., I saw mostly what looked like decent hardworking families getting off of work. Mixed races. No bad stuff seemingly going on and no harassment. Do you guys have any views on these apartment complexes or the areas they are in?:

King Apartments at Shorline Beach Club
666 Carnegie Ave. Akron, OH 44314

Park Lane Manor
744 Colette Dr Akron, OH 44306

Mogadore Square Apartments
2888 Mogadore Rd Akron 44312

Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,794 times
king apts are ok there are some shady people who live in the apts just beware ,
for the price king wants you might be able to rent a small home a few blocks south in the lakes

Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
King is ok, Park Lane I would skip, don't know the last one but that area is generally ok. Any projects are not going to have the cream of the crop but at least you can have variance in neighborhoods surrounding them. Prange Drive in the Falls is ok, also the complex on Portage Trail in Merriman Valley. The Wilbeth is not the worst but it wouldn't be near the top of the list for me. Occasional gunfire over that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton