Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 AM

11 posts, read 18,294 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your input

Dave, the main reason we are focused on NE Ohio is due to its somewhat centralized location from family (Toledo, OH and Harrisburg PA) as well as the fact that most of my husband's job offers have been from Cleveland or its western suburbs. Specifically Elyria is where he has received a handful of offers and we've been focusing our search in that area lately.

We will more than likely be renting first in hopes to buy a house in a year or so once we are familiar with the areas.

Are there any areas to stay away from? I know this is the Akron forum but all I've heard in regards to undesirable areas is eastern Cleveland. Are there any Akron/Canton areas to be weary of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
The difference in cost of living between Ohio and the west coast is like night and day. I lived my entire life in NE Ohio (Canton area) prior to moving to the Portland area two years ago. The cost of living here is easily 30% more, overall, and housing is a good 70% more. And we're (Portland) considered cheap to most of California, so the sticker surprise isn't a surprise at all, IMO.

However, I must ask - is your income keeping up w/California standards, or will it be dramatically less in Ohio? When I moved here, I took a huge pay raise, but it really didn't put us in any better of a situation, financially, due to the huge cost of living increase. The same $200k income in California would be like $500k+ in Ohio.
Hi,

Here in California we are living check to check and we're barely making ends meet.

Not only is our rent outrageous but the cost of living in general is much higher than most places in the country. Due to multiple taxes and regulations placed on gasoline, car insurance, and dmv/registration fees, driving a car is a huge expense compared to other states. My husband explained that it is much different in the mid-west/back east and they don't have as many environmental regulations or other extra costs that are regularly tacked on here in CA.

We make approximately $50k a year here in CA and are more often short every month. Even with a dramatic reduction in pay, the $500+ drop in rent would make life much more comfortable.

The other headache out here in CA is credited to how impossible it is to buy a house anywhere even close to desirable. You either have to head to some super sketchy neighborhoods or to the desert We pay $1500 a month for a 2 bed townhouse with a two car garage and we're in a questionable area.

I stay at home with my son and we've been living on just my husband's income for almost 2 years. When I was working we were bringing in double than what we do now, but we decided to sacrifice the extra income to avoid sending my son to daycare. We're hoping that we will be a little more comfortable in an area that is more supportive of a middle class lifestyle. Here in CA you're either really well off, part of the struggling middle class, or you're on government assistance.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 PM

780 posts, read 1,569,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasitacass View Post
Hi,

Here in California we are living check to check and we're barely making ends meet.

Not only is our rent outrageous but the cost of living in general is much higher than most places in the country. Due to multiple taxes and regulations placed on gasoline, car insurance, and dmv/registration fees, driving a car is a huge expense compared to other states. My husband explained that it is much different in the mid-west/back east and they don't have as many environmental regulations or other extra costs that are regularly tacked on here in CA.

We make approximately $50k a year here in CA and are more often short every month. Even with a dramatic reduction in pay, the $500+ drop in rent would make life much more comfortable.

The other headache out here in CA is credited to how impossible it is to buy a house anywhere even close to desirable. You either have to head to some super sketchy neighborhoods or to the desert We pay $1500 a month for a 2 bed townhouse with a two car garage and we're in a questionable area.

I stay at home with my son and we've been living on just my husband's income for almost 2 years. When I was working we were bringing in double than what we do now, but we decided to sacrifice the extra income to avoid sending my son to daycare. We're hoping that we will be a little more comfortable in an area that is more supportive of a middle class lifestyle. Here in CA you're either really well off, part of the struggling middle class, or you're on government assistance.
$50k in CA? Good grief, that's not much, even by Portland standards, which are lower than CA. I cannot even fathom living on that in CA. $50k in Ohio isn't exactly wealthy by any stretch, but it'd put you in the middle class. Less than that, and you'd still be looking up at many in the population. I used to live in Jackson Township (northern Stark County), which was a much wealthier area than most, and $50k was definitely in the lower end of things, there, but in most places in NEO, it'd be right about middle of the road.

To keep yourself reasonably comfortable, I'd recommend spending no more than about 1/3 of your take home on a rent. That's generally a pretty good baseline.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
$50k in CA? Good grief, that's not much, even by Portland standards, which are lower than CA. I cannot even fathom living on that in CA. $50k in Ohio isn't exactly wealthy by any stretch, but it'd put you in the middle class. Less than that, and you'd still be looking up at many in the population. I used to live in Jackson Township (northern Stark County), which was a much wealthier area than most, and $50k was definitely in the lower end of things, there, but in most places in NEO, it'd be right about middle of the road.

To keep yourself reasonably comfortable, I'd recommend spending no more than about 1/3 of your take home on a rent. That's generally a pretty good baseline.
I realize its not a lot, and that is partially why we are moving. Our income was closer to 90k while I was working but after my son was born prematurely, we decided it would be best for me to stay home with him and that daycare wouldn't be the best place for him.

It definitely is a sacrifice and puts a huge stress on our finances, but with my son's prematurity there was no way I could put him in daycare without compromising his health and well being.

This is why we're moving to Ohio where the cost of living is less, but in my husband's field of work the pay is about the same in the Cleveland/Akron area as it is here in California if not slightly higher. For some reason out here in CA employers don't take his Ohio Journeyman's card (a four year apprenticeship program for manual machining -- like a carpenter but with metal) as a real education simply because he earned it in Ohio.

We're just really frustrated with all the road blocks out here and are ready for a fresh start. I would move tomorrow if I could, just need to pick a town and go!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,987,886 times
Regardless of the situation, welcome. If you can make it in Cali on 50k you will be fine here.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Another question for you guys, what are your utility bills like?

Out here in California we barely use our gas so our bills are maybe $30 at most but our electricity bills are out of this world. I've had a $500 electric bill one month during a really hot summer a few years back.

I figure your gas has to be more expensive, what is the average?

I'm trying to hammer everything down because I think we're going to be moving next month (Sept) due to my husband having no luck finding a job out here in CA and only getting calls back from companies in OH!

Any tips on moving trucks or driving cross country with a 1 yr old? So not looking forward to the drive with him

Old 08-01-2013, 05:28 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,987,886 times
Thats really dependent on the type of dwelling you're in. I've never had a gas bill hit $300 and that is in an average size not well insulated older home. However, I also keep the temp down. My cold month bills are usually in the 100s to 200s area. Electric can be the same with AC but again can vary on your usage. I personally think there are 2 to 3 weeks each summer where it is truly uncomfortable without AC but that's me.

Otherwise both are low in non-peak times.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 PM

120 posts, read 215,912 times
I live in California and for the past year I was obsessed on moving to Ohio after visiting last summer. The more I wanted to move there, the more I hated California, the only place I have ever lived.

Anyway, after my wonderful visit last year I had to return again. I loved the fact that I was actually cold at the end of July. Unfortunately, I packed for the heat wave that was happening so I was cold. That's nothing but I don't think I can handle the winters. I thought I could but I probably can't.

One thing both states have in common is that there is an extreme job shortage. If you can get a good job, follow your heart.

I was also disappointed this year as last year's trip was so perfect and this year didn't go so well. We stayed with some people that were less than savory, unusual for the Ohio folk, It ruined my desire to move there even though Ohio is a very beautiful state with very friendly people as I stated.

One thing that bothered me is that the people we stayed with were terrible chain smokers and my boyfriend who was born and raised in Martins Ferry (where we were) said that is very common there. Is that true, that smoking is a big thing there or was it just our hosts? I am curious to know because I can't just stop loving such a gorgeous place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton