Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 AM

6 posts, read 8,240 times

Advertisements

Having just moved from the Columbus area to Akron I can tell you I wouldn't live in the North Linden area ever, even if the rent was free! If you have kids, forget it. That area of Columbus is in the news almost nightly! As for Canton I cannot really give you any advice, but I have to believe it has to be better than North Linden!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,322,586 times
Used to live on the border of North Linden (but not actually in NOrth Linden) in Columbus. I wouldn't want to go back there. Better to be on the west side of Indianola/4th street, in my opinion. Just not a nice area. I don't think you being from the northeast has anything to do with it. Rough areas are rough areas and you shouldn't want to live there.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,950,202 times
Some areas of South Linden are seeing gentrification.

-South of Maynard Avenue along and near Cleveland Avenue.
-Along and southwest of Cleveland and E. 17th.
-Along and southeast of Cleveland and E. 17th.

All these areas are seeing large increases in White, Asian and Hispanic populations.

North Linden is the real problem area.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 PM

145 posts, read 192,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2oh7 View Post
My Sticking Points: Canton

-I've read so much on here that Canton (outside of Jackson Township and a few other places) sucks miserably.
North Canton is not Canton. It has one of the best school systems in the state and a good sense of community.

I moved here a couple years ago from NY and couldn't be happier. I like it here. You and your family will too I bet.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:20 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,547,523 times
I'm chime in once more: pay attention to what people are saying about the Linden area in Columbus. They are spot-on.

I just moved to Des Moines, IA. It's nice that the lead local story **is not** about some thug or victim that got shot on the near east side. Yes, there is crime here, but it isn't the focus of the local evening news as it is in Columbus.

The same will be true in Canton. Granted, that's not a major metro and certainly not crime-free but you won't feel like you're living near a war-zone either.

One other point: you have a child. A lot of the comments on the Columbus thread about never going back to Canton were from younger people who didn't have families. If one is young and the focus is on parties, drinking, hook-ups, and visiting bars, Canton won't have as much to offer. On the other hand, Canton has a lot to offer parents and older people who have interests besides drinking and parties.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but please don't relocate to the Linden area of Columbus.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,950,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'm chime in once more: pay attention to what people are saying about the Linden area in Columbus. They are spot-on.

I just moved to Des Moines, IA. It's nice that the lead local story **is not** about some thug or victim that got shot on the near east side. Yes, there is crime here, but it isn't the focus of the local evening news as it is in Columbus.

The same will be true in Canton. Granted, that's not a major metro and certainly not crime-free but you won't feel like you're living near a war-zone either.

One other point: you have a child. A lot of the comments on the Columbus thread about never going back to Canton were from younger people who didn't have families. If one is young and the focus is on parties, drinking, hook-ups, and visiting bars, Canton won't have as much to offer. On the other hand, Canton has a lot to offer parents and older people who have interests besides drinking and parties.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but please don't relocate to the Linden area of Columbus.
Des Moines' entire metro is about 200,000+ smaller than just the city of Columbus. That's apples and oranges. Given that news everywhere is almost exclusively focused on the negative, I somehow doubt that the top story in Des Moines is that Mrs. Smith's tabby cat just had kittens. People who equate city neighborhoods with "war zones" probably have never actually been in a war zone. North Linden, as bad as it is, is still NOT a war zone in any way. Run down, sure. Higher crime rates than other places? Sure. As far as I can tell, though, it's not the singular neighborhood one can choose if they move to Columbus. There are plenty of safe, family friendly areas just as I'm sure there are in Canton. If the choice absolutely had to be between North Linden and Canton, I might choose Canton too. But that's kind of a silly choice.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 PM

7 posts, read 11,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadajesse View Post
Having just moved from the Columbus area to Akron I can tell you I wouldn't live in the North Linden area ever, even if the rent was free! If you have kids, forget it. That area of Columbus is in the news almost nightly! As for Canton I cannot really give you any advice, but I have to believe it has to be better than North Linden!
Lol.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 PM

7 posts, read 11,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

Thank you very much. Yes, as a parent, I really like what I'm hearing about Canton. And even the people that are pro-Columbus on other boards haven't been able to sugarcoat Linden.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 PM

157 posts, read 283,005 times
Good god, this isn't even a contest - Columbus is infinitely better, hands down. I grew up in the Canton/Akron area (and also lived in Columbus) and if you're under the impression that it's somehow drastically different than Columbus when it comes to crime, you've been mislead. They are fairly comparable when it comes to that aspect.

Columbus shouldn't even be compared to Canton. Columbus has actual shopping (about as good as it gets for Ohio, anyway), far more restaurants and better night life. It has some excellent suburbs, too. Also, the weather in Columbus is better than it is in Canton. With Canton you're still going to be getting the lake effect from Erie - Columbus will see less snow than NE Ohio.

I would take anyone's comments who hasn't lived in both cities with a grain of salt.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,322,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
Good god, this isn't even a contest - Columbus is infinitely better, hands down. I grew up in the Canton/Akron area (and also lived in Columbus) and if you're under the impression that it's somehow drastically different than Columbus when it comes to crime, you've been mislead. They are fairly comparable when it comes to that aspect.

Columbus shouldn't even be compared to Canton. Columbus has actual shopping (about as good as it gets for Ohio, anyway), far more restaurants and better night life. It has some excellent suburbs, too. Also, the weather in Columbus is better than it is in Canton. With Canton you're still going to be getting the lake effect from Erie - Columbus will see less snow than NE Ohio.

I would take anyone's comments who hasn't lived in both cities with a grain of salt.
Sorry, Canton does not get lake effect snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton