U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 8,105 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job in Solon Monday, and have been thinking for awhile to move closer to Coventry area.

I am thinking that would be a good area, as there are things tying me down to Canton/Massillon area as well, and it would be a nice halfway point. Also, I do not really want to live in Akron, and further north would be getting further from Stark than I want to be. Also, other potential jobs in my field, in the future could easily be in Akron and Fairlawn areas. So it seems like the right physical location.

However I really do not know much about Coventry or Summit County and would appreciate some thoughts.

I am a 27yo single male and plan to rent a house I have been looking at.

1st, and most importantly, I need to know of the good coffee shops in the area.

Are there any neat, locally owned restaurants/delis/cafes/etc? I like a lot of the new restaurants in the downtown Canton and downtown Kent areas, and things like that is what I am looking for.

For at least the next month until I move I will have over an hour commute each day to Solon.

From Coventry I will be pretty close to the highway, and have a little less than 40 minute commute (according to Google.) But what I want to know is how long will it REALLY take me? I have to be in Solon at 8AM (then leave at 5PM) so what is the traffic like. Anyone drive this often? It seems like Every single day, on the radio, they talk about slowdowns and wrecks, etc on rt8.

Any other suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,650,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronN322 View Post
I am starting a new job in Solon Monday, and have been thinking for awhile to move closer to Coventry area.

I am thinking that would be a good area, as there are things tying me down to Canton/Massillon area as well, and it would be a nice halfway point. Also, I do not really want to live in Akron, and further north would be getting further from Stark than I want to be. Also, other potential jobs in my field, in the future could easily be in Akron and Fairlawn areas. So it seems like the right physical location.

However I really do not know much about Coventry or Summit County and would appreciate some thoughts.

I am a 27yo single male and plan to rent a house I have been looking at.

1st, and most importantly, I need to know of the good coffee shops in the area.

Are there any neat, locally owned restaurants/delis/cafes/etc? I like a lot of the new restaurants in the downtown Canton and downtown Kent areas, and things like that is what I am looking for.

For at least the next month until I move I will have over an hour commute each day to Solon.

From Coventry I will be pretty close to the highway, and have a little less than 40 minute commute (according to Google.) But what I want to know is how long will it REALLY take me? I have to be in Solon at 8AM (then leave at 5PM) so what is the traffic like. Anyone drive this often? It seems like Every single day, on the radio, they talk about slowdowns and wrecks, etc on rt8.

Any other suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks!
My first question, particularly since you are using Canton as a frame of reference and Coventry is immediately next door, is why are you ruling all of Akron's neighborhoods out right off the top? Particularly as a single 27 year old looking for locally owned restaurants and coffee shops.

Coventry is an interesting area as there is quite an economic spread in there. Because of the lakes you have everything from run down early 20th century summer shacks to newer lakeside McMansions.

The Portage Lakes area has a pretty lively business district which is loaded with locally owned bars and restaurants. Summer time is prime time with lots of boaters and a great 4th of July display. If Coventry had a "downtown" that would be it.

Other than that there are other average shopping areas with your standard grocery stores (Acme), fast food, etc, and also South Plaza in Akron is literally a stone's throw away with Giant Eagle, Marc's, etc. Not sure on coffee spots.

For commutes depends on where you are in Coventry for. I would say you would likely catch 277 to 77 to 8 to 271. Having spent plenty of quality time on those x-ways I would be suspect of the 40 mins figure for Solon, again depending where in Solon you're going. Traffic can be heavy at various points on more or less every single bit of your commute - as you mentioned, 8 is notorious for slowdowns and crashes, same with 271, 77 before the Central Interchange, and occasionally 277. 40 mins I could see as close to an ideal timeframe, but I would expect some significant traffic issue periodically. Backups at the Central Interchange (8 to 77/vice versa) are very common. I would almost say allot yourself more like 55 mins knowing you'll probably be early frequently but at least you won't be likely to be late.

Do you have any other criteria or are you fairly settled on Coventry?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Do you have any other criteria or are you fairly settled on Coventry?
Thanks for the input. average of 40min, while leaving myself an hour just incase, was what I was thinking as well.

I am not 100% decided on coventry. But I have found a really nice little house that I like that will be around $700 - $800/month.

I have a dog and have lived in apartments before, and had a house before when I was married, so I am really wanting to rent a house rather than something with neighbors directly touching me. Also, my dog tends to bark and whine more often than a neighbor would want since he will be alone for part of the day.

The closer to Solon I get, and some of the nicer Clev'burbs such as Shaker Heights, University Heights are too expensive for a whole house (plus a lot of them for sale/rent are much bigger house than I want) There are some neat half-of-a-house options (split between downstairs/upstairs, etc) there though which I slightly considered, but still would rather have a whole house. Then 30+ minutes east of Solon there are some options again, but that is the middle of nowhere, and who wants that!? Kent/Stow was another option I considered, but I am still 30-40 min away and then further from Stark.

As for Akron, it just seems that all I ever hear is negative things about it. I really don't know where better areas would be there. I see on this board people occasionally say Cuyahoga Falls is a decent area, but the houses for rent there in my price range just don't seem as nice what you can get anywhere south of Akron.

The other option is getting rid of the dog.. but even then, as I mentioned I still have some responsibilities that require me to go to Canton occasionally, and Stark county is where all my friends and family live so I plan to still go there often which would make a long drive from Cleveland areas.

Once I get my student loans paid off (~$600/month) that will open up more possibilities too.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:18 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,650,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronN322 View Post
Thanks for the input. average of 40min, while leaving myself an hour just incase, was what I was thinking as well.

I am not 100% decided on coventry. But I have found a really nice little house that I like that will be around $700 - $800/month.

I have a dog and have lived in apartments before, and had a house before when I was married, so I am really wanting to rent a house rather than something with neighbors directly touching me. Also, my dog tends to bark and whine more often than a neighbor would want since he will be alone for part of the day.

The closer to Solon I get, and some of the nicer Clev'burbs such as Shaker Heights, University Heights are too expensive for a whole house (plus a lot of them for sale/rent are much bigger house than I want) There are some neat half-of-a-house options (split between downstairs/upstairs, etc) there though which I slightly considered, but still would rather have a whole house. Then 30+ minutes east of Solon there are some options again, but that is the middle of nowhere, and who wants that!? Kent/Stow was another option I considered, but I am still 30-40 min away and then further from Stark.

As for Akron, it just seems that all I ever hear is negative things about it. I really don't know where better areas would be there. I see on this board people occasionally say Cuyahoga Falls is a decent area, but the houses for rent there in my price range just don't seem as nice what you can get anywhere south of Akron.

The other option is getting rid of the dog.. but even then, as I mentioned I still have some responsibilities that require me to go to Canton occasionally, and Stark county is where all my friends and family live so I plan to still go there often which would make a long drive from Cleveland areas.

Once I get my student loans paid off (~$600/month) that will open up more possibilities too.
If you've found something that fits the bill that is excellent.

If you're still searching, I will say that if you were entertaining Shaker and University Heights you're doing yourself a great disservice by not checking out the neighborhoods in Northwest Akron. It is very similar to Shaker... sans Rapid, of course (unfortunately!)

The unfortunate thing about Akron is that as often as not they tend to not break out which neighborhood(s) are being referred to, so a lot of the negatives tend to be attributed across the whole city when that may or may not be accurate. Like many mid-sized to larger cities there is a large variance in the socioeconomic makeup from neighborhood to neighborhood.

I live in Highland Square so I am somewhat biased, but Highland Square, Wallhaven, Fairlawn Heights, Northwest Akron, and Merriman Valley are all great places for the most part. Much like Shaker some areas are fairly expensive but there are houses in the 700-800 range floating around. There also are also many locally owned restaurants coffee shops (Angel Falls gets the nod). I'll also say that I'm not too far off from your age and there are plenty of young professionals etc in your/my age range around here.

Anyway, if you've got things nailed down in Coventry that's great; if you're still in the market (and especially if you're not familiar with the area) I would be glad to help see what else may fit your criteria.

Good luck on your hunt!

Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 PM

87 posts, read 125,534 times
I doubt 40 minutes will get you there if you are driving it rush hour whatsoever. If the weather is poor at all it will be about an hour. I would certainly consider somewhere closer to work since that is where you are going everyday. I live in Cuyahoga falls and would think it would be better

Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 PM

The house I was looking at actually already rented, so now I am looking in Cuyahoga Falls. It definitely seems like a better option; especially after driving it for a week now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton