Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 PM

39 posts, read 82,652 times

Advertisements

My current landlord did not own this place when I moved in. The old owner sold this place (never said a word to me or any other tenant here) The new landlord hired a property manager. They have chosen not to renew my lease. They said it's nothing personal and it's just what they are doing.
Here is where my problem comes in. I have 2 evictions. 1 of them is nearly 7 years old and I admit I deserved it due to falling behind on the rent. That landlord worked with me and worked with me as much as possible but were eventually left with no choice but to evict. (I feel like a complete jerk for putting them in that position)
The second eviction occurred in 2011 and it was due to a wishy washy property manager. I was on a month to month lease. The person who owned the property sold it while I was living there. The new property manager of this place was fine with me for a few months but eventually became a pain in the ass. She sent me a 30 day notice in Oct. 2011 telling me I had to move. The same property manager told me in November 2011 I could stay if I paid a higher rent. I was fine with that and was willing to pay. The higher rent was set to take effect Dec. 1st 2011 but the same property manager sent me a 30 day notice on Nov. 30th 2011 telling me once again I had to move out. I was sick and tired of the back and forth crap so I told her she was too wishy washy and if she wanted me out she would have to evict as I was sick of her pulling that crap and causing me undue stress. I do have a felony in my background but many landlords have told me it does not come up. I don't understand how that is possible but I'm not exactly complaining either lol. I haven't been in any legal trouble since and I certainly do not intend to get in anymore trouble. My husband also has a criminal record and this also makes it difficult to find a place that will rent to us. I respect a landlord's right not to rent to convicted felons, people with evictions, Etc. However it is incredibly frustrating. I also have 1 cat age 4 and a half. I understand being upfront and honest is helpful but does not in anyway guarantee anything. I am looking for advice and possibly a landlord in the canton area that would be willing to rent to us.
If you need additional info regarding my criminal background please send me a message and I will reply. Thank you.

Last edited by searching for rental; 03-16-2014 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: added request for handling the need for additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 PM

I looked at a place recently and filled out the application along with my husband but I was very uncomfortable about it as the owner was out of town, had his daughter in law show the place (it was really beautiful too) but they required personal info I wouldn't give my own mother. Most of it was pretty normal name, social security number, past landlords, employment info. What made me uncomfortable was they wanted my financial institution which I gave, my account number I left blank and they wanted my account balance which I also left blank. The actual owner never saw my info just their son and their daughter in law which made me uncomfortable. I was disappointed when they said they could not rent to me but I understand and respect their decision.

Last edited by searching for rental; 03-16-2014 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: edited to correct spelling/grammar errors

Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Some rental management companies will request bank information. Sometimes they ask about the number of times the account has overdrafted in x period of time or average balance. They will try to verify with the bank usually.

That's up to you if you want to answer or not.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Some rental management companies will request bank information. Sometimes they ask about the number of times the account has overdrafted in x period of time or average balance. They will try to verify with the bank usually.

That's up to you if you want to answer or not.
thanks this does make me feel better knowing they actually have a good reason for wanting this information.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:34 PM

13 posts, read 20,341 times
They have to be careful with prospective tenants,they're turning over control of something worth more than probably everything else they own,combined.And frequently,they have their own mortgage to pay on the property and if they're stiffed on rent,maybe have to pay out of pocket to repair damage,they can end up losing their house.
If they don't pry into an applicant's "personal business",who knows?
They could end up renting to a couple who both have criminal records,multiple evictions,get the point?
There are a lot of people who think that because the only committed felonies "in the past",only forced a landlord into the expense of eviction "in the past",that everyone else should just take their word that they never intend to do it again,and ignore the history.Personally,I wouldn't ignore any of it at the risk of $100K or so,or more.
Let me ask,did you "intend" to get into legal trouble the first time?
Like most felons,probably not.
But the saying goes,"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
My nephew rented his house to a nice younger lady with 3 or 4 kids,based on the ability of her 'then" boyfriend to pay the rent.About 2 months later they broke up,and now unemployed,no-income nice younger lady can't pay the rent.He kept being patient,dragging it out,not wanting put nice younger lady and her 3 or 4 kids out on the street.
About 8 months after she stopped paying,they vanished and he was able to get into HIS house.
Apparently,nice younger lady needed money for her next rental,and the easiest way was to have someone help her rip the copper pipes out of the floors and walls,steal the wiring,also copper,every doorknob,piece of hardware,light bulb,toilet seats,2 bedroom doors,ceiling lights,everything that could be stolen and sold at a yard sale.
Over $17,000 in damages alone,never mind nearly a year of unpaid rent,and the enormous amount of time and energy it's going to take to get it into shape to ever rent it again.And the entire time,he's paying a mortgage on a house he can't live in.
I'm pretty sure that IF he ever rents again,applicants are going to think he's a major a-hole because he wants to know too much of their "personal business".And none of them will know that it's all because he was decent to a nice,younger lady with 3 or 4 kids who I'm sure never intended to become a felon either.
But,she is what she is.
And he has a right to know that up front.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 PM

15 posts, read 27,969 times
How do you post in the felon and rental catagory?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,689 times
Is there anywhere in Canton,Oh that will rent to someone with an eviction on their record

Old 11-17-2014, 02:07 PM

13 posts, read 20,341 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton