Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:21 PM

20 posts, read 30,388 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple with their fist baby looking for home. We are looking at a house on Elmdale Ave. It's near the Mull Ave. circle and a church/school (St. Sebastian's I think). How is this area? Is it safe? Is it mostly older or younger people? Are neighbors friendly? I have heard don't go towards Delia... so is this cutting it too close to a bad area? Ideally we would like to be closer to the Fairlawn border or in Fairlawn, but we haven't found anything yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 01:16 PM

10 posts, read 30,502 times
Default Try on local sites

Cant say exactly about homes but you can go through sites in which you can approach alot of homes

Old 10-10-2014, 09:06 AM

12 posts, read 45,544 times
I have friends who live in that area (Clemmer, Mull, S Rose) and like it and think it's nice and safe.

There seem to be more young families in the King School area (north of Market St) though since that elementary is superior to the neighborhood you're looking at. That's where my family lives and we love it

Old 10-10-2014, 10:10 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
That was always a nice area but, the schools are not up to par if that matters. King was rebuilt and Litchfield is the old Perkins Middle School (I guess until they rebuilt it next to Firestone HS in its original locale?). St. Sebastians is still a nice church and the congregation although aging is still there to some extent.

Buchtel's influence is gradually moving in that direction but, like all homes in that area, they are beautifully architected (even on Delia) but, probably in need of updating. The prevailing thought was the further you can get away from Buchtel, the better.

Careful, you may get in easily but, getting out may be a whole other matter. For the money, you might be better to move towards Fairlawn and pay the Delta but, Copley HS is not what it used to be either. Highlands, Revere and the Bath area are all still nice but, priced accordingly.

Shame, there are some beautiful neighborhoods between the Park and Walhaven but, it sure has changed these last 35 years or so. Great deals can be had off all the areas just West of there as well. Just have to look and buy very, very, very carefully.

Not sure how those neighborhoods will look in 20 years. Foreclosures are still very, very much a part of the real estate landscape.

Good luck

Old 10-10-2014, 11:44 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Neighborhood is fine, south towards Copley Road sucks. It's a city neighborhood so being in proximity to less desirable neighborhoods isn't that unusual. You could be in the same boat in Fairlawn with all of the section 8 apartments up off of Miller, for instance.

It's a pretty active location with a split of ages throughout. I know several professional people that live throughout that area. The park is frequently busy and there are always soccer games going on. Same deal across Hawkins at the former Perkins, lots of kids baseball games. Great access to shopping in Wallhaven as well as quick access to I-77 and Montrose or Downtown. Schools vary; Buchtel cluster is no good, Firestone cluster is pretty good, but Akron has open enrollment which is what most people do if they are assigned to a school that isn't so hot. Akron also has phenomenal science and arts schools that are rated Excellent, which is where a lot of people on the West Side end up sending their kids. Shaw JCC is down the road on White Pond which is kind of the hub of recreation on that side of town. (Similar to the Y) If you are unfamiliar with that area of town Delia is probably a decent benchmark to use. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to look at houses around that area as it is one of the better neighborhoods in town.

As to Caleb Longstreet's assessment, I would agree that to some degree he has some points. A little baffled as far as the reference that "Copley HS is not what it used to be" as it is and has been rated Excellent by the state for as long as I can remember. Unless that is some sort of racial reference, which would be exceedingly tacky. I'm also at a loss as far as what he's referring to about foreclosures. Being very familiar with that neighborhood I can't say that there are any more foreclosures or even houses for sale that anywhere else that I've seen.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Neighborhood is fine, south towards Copley Road sucks. It's a city neighborhood so being in proximity to less desirable neighborhoods isn't that unusual. You could be in the same boat in Fairlawn with all of the section 8 apartments up off of Miller, for instance.

It's a pretty active location with a split of ages throughout. I know several professional people that live throughout that area. The park is frequently busy and there are always soccer games going on. Same deal across Hawkins at the former Perkins, lots of kids baseball games. Great access to shopping in Wallhaven as well as quick access to I-77 and Montrose or Downtown. Schools vary; Buchtel cluster is no good, Firestone cluster is pretty good, but Akron has open enrollment which is what most people do if they are assigned to a school that isn't so hot. Akron also has phenomenal science and arts schools that are rated Excellent, which is where a lot of people on the West Side end up sending their kids. Shaw JCC is down the road on White Pond which is kind of the hub of recreation on that side of town. (Similar to the Y) If you are unfamiliar with that area of town Delia is probably a decent benchmark to use. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to look at houses around that area as it is one of the better neighborhoods in town.

As to Caleb Longstreet's assessment, I would agree that to some degree he has some points. A little baffled as far as the reference that "Copley HS is not what it used to be" as it is and has been rated Excellent by the state for as long as I can remember. Unless that is some sort of racial reference, which would be exceedingly tacky. I'm also at a loss as far as what he's referring to about foreclosures. Being very familiar with that neighborhood I can't say that there are any more foreclosures or even houses for sale that anywhere else that I've seen.
Copley's shift has changed over the years. As far as foreclosure, google it...44313 zip code. Go from there....there are 4 or 5 within walking distance of Firestone HS. 30 within 3 mile radius....plenty beyond as well. Those were very nice neighborhoods and are still pretty decent.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Copley's shift has changed over the years. As far as foreclosure, google it...44313 zip code. Go from there....there are 4 or 5 within walking distance of Firestone HS. 30 within 3 mile radius....plenty beyond as well. Those were very nice neighborhoods and are still pretty decent.
And 48 in 44333, which is Fairlawn and Bath. 61 in 44278 which is Tallmadge. 87 in 44685 which is Green.

3 mile radius of 44313 drops you anywhere from North Hill to Montrose to Copley Road to Cuyahoga Falls.

And since, as I pointed out, Copley High School has been and is currently rated Excellent; Copley-Fairlawn City Schools as a whole are rated Excellent. I know what "shift" you are trying to get across while not directly stating it and that as I said is very, very tacky.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:28 PM

12 posts, read 45,544 times
agree with Square

also, despite what the fearmongers want you to believe, crime is down significantly in Akron as a whole

Akron Ohio News - Chief tells Council crime decreasing in Akron

Old 10-12-2014, 04:01 PM

99 posts, read 73,575 times
The area is safe and has nice number of young families. The majority of them send their children to St. Sebastian. My parents have lived in the neighborhood over ten years and the only crime to report has been you r typicall change or radio out of unlocked cars.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
And 48 in 44333, which is Fairlawn and Bath. 61 in 44278 which is Tallmadge. 87 in 44685 which is Green.

3 mile radius of 44313 drops you anywhere from North Hill to Montrose to Copley Road to Cuyahoga Falls.

And since, as I pointed out, Copley High School has been and is currently rated Excellent; Copley-Fairlawn City Schools as a whole are rated Excellent. I know what "shift" you are trying to get across while not directly stating it and that as I said is very, very tacky.
Okay, I'll break it down even closer for you. The 1 square mile around Firestone High School, or, more correctly the neighborhoods from Garman Road to Cliffside drive to Portage Path and to Sand Run....peeeelenty of foreclosures. And those neighborhoods are still relatively nice.

As far as schools, this is over a long, long trend. And no, those Firestone neighborhoods aren't quite what they used to be. Cliffside and Thurmont are section 8 brought to you by the same guy that did that on Miller Road. He's systematically changing the face and value of those neighborhoods. But hey, don't take my word for it, look at what the properties were worth 10 years ago...now go look at them today. They sure haven't gone UP in value.....if you want more specifics like people who actually grew up in those homes and what those homes sold for 10-15 years ago and what their parents got versus what they are worth today, just let me know.

Case in point. 1505 Shatto Ave. I knew the girl that grew up in that house. 10 years ago it sold for 108...today? In foreclosure for 47 and it NEVER, EVER looked as bad. It is DIRECTLY across the street from the Teachers entrance to Firestone HS.....3 more one block over on Berendo.....a few on Bond....that help? Foreclosures were unheard of in this area until about 7 years ago when your guy got in the White House. I have friends who buy rental properties and have never had so much trouble filling them and keeping them in shape. The area by the Fairlawn Bowling alley has similar decline...same by West Point Market....

As far as Copley? It was very much like Firestone in it's day albeit a bit more country/rural. Now? More fights and problems than ever before to include that lunatic running around killing family members a few years back. It's still pretty nice but, don't put lipstick on a pig and tell us it's pretty. Tacky and all. Your defense of the area is through ignorance or wishful thinking and the property values prove I'm right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton