Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:31 AM

28 posts, read 82,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronist View Post
To the contrary, myself, and I've found most people that live here (aside from the poseurs) never even mention the town when meeting other people from the area...just due to those very incorrect assumptions. Rather than get nasty (envious, for who knows why) comments after the word "Hudson" is uttered, most of us just say "North of Akron" or "Southeast of Cleveland" rather than deal with the drama caused by apparent self esteem issues of those who grow up believing the folklore, or have very low standards to measure financial wealth.

Don't get me wrong, Hudson is a nice place to live in general. I wouldn't live in any other city in OHIO. I am trying to spin this positively, since, like MANY others, I'd like to SELL my house and move on from Ohio all together.
You seem to be upset, and I would like to kindly suggest that if you have issues with the way things are going that you have three very clear options:
1) Do something to try to change it. (When my parents were unhappy with the way things were going, they joined the Zoning commision, and the park board and worked hard simply out of a sense of responsibility to the area the chose to raise their families.)
2) If you choose to do nothing, then you lose your right to complain.
3) If you are still unhappy with the area and the job market and want to sell your home, then start the process of leaving.
Seems simple enough to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM

11 posts, read 64,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMcGee View Post
You seem to be upset, and I would like to kindly suggest that if you have issues with the way things are going that you have three very clear options:
1) Do something to try to change it. (When my parents were unhappy with the way things were going, they joined the Zoning commision, and the park board and worked hard simply out of a sense of responsibility to the area the chose to raise their families.)
2) If you choose to do nothing, then you lose your right to complain.
3) If you are still unhappy with the area and the job market and want to sell your home, then start the process of leaving.
Seems simple enough to me.
Um, okayyyyy... Not taking the bait...I'm not the one looking for a job, you are. Go ahead & live in Daddy's basement...sounds fun. Just because reality doesn't jibe with your idealized memories, doesn't make the truth any less true. Good luck, don't forget to update.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 PM

28 posts, read 82,397 times
I would like to apologize to the original poster for helping to get this thread off-track. I got sucked in by off-topic and aggressive comments. I do hope you were able to get a good feel from the majority of replies. As I have said before, I feel that Hudson is quite nice. If you would like a similar community feeling, Cuyahoga Falls is quaint too and the housing prices are much more reasonable... plus if you really love downtown Hudson, living in a neighboring community (like Cuyahoga Falls, although there are many others around it that are just as nice) allows you to visit and still have more affordable housing costs.
As for your question about schools, I saw a number of articles recently talking about high school test scores and state averages... Ohio is doing pretty well as a whole. I know that people could view the schools in more well-to do areas like Hudson as having automatically better educational opportunities but I know a number of people who are wonderful dedicated teachers in Stow, Streetsboro, Cuyahoga Falls and Twinsburg.
I hope you have found this forum helpful... and once again I apologize for my part in encouraging the distractions.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,569 times
Hi! I had to join this website after stumbling upon this thread. Honestly, we moved to Hudson from Michigan on a job transfer, and I couldn't have really asked for a better place to live! Although you do need to drive at least 5 miles, it seems, in any direction to hit major retail shopping centers and 20 miles for a big mall, I have to say, that is my only complaint. But I am truly shocked at everyone saying Hudson is "expensive"- don't get me wrong, there are a lot of wealthy subs tossed into the mix, but there are just as many middle-of-the-road subs, too. Maybe the people who keep pointing out how "wealthy" Hudson is, just happen to ignore the modest homes and focus on the mega-houses. But truly, we have a house in the historic district and it's just average in price (200,000). It makes for a nice evening walk to see $150,000 houses sitting next to $600,000 houses in one trip around the block :-) And the schools are phenomenal, despite the whole levy dillema right now. But there really is a great community feel, with a farmer's market on Saturdays, concerts downtown on Friday and Saturday nights, (Sunday evening, as well, but that tends to be the grandma crowd). The local library has a lot of events for kids, too. As far as it being yuppie, I think when you take a smaller town with a main central location, the wealth disparity is just more apparent because everyone is co-mingling together. It sort of makes the people with money stand out more. But unless you are the "envious" type- who cares? If you have a family, it is a great experience for your children to have all kinds of friends from different wealth stratifications anyways. Finally, Hudson is nice because you are still pretty centrally located to visit bigger cities, like Akron and Cleveland. Finally, to address the "Stepfordish" type ladies in the area- yup, there are some of those-lol! But there are also the hippy-type ladies milling around, the frazzled mom running after her kids, and the fancy young lady out on a date. (Side note-I think a single person would be bored here). This is totally a family town. I think you'll be happy here.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:42 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,410,158 times
Hey, I learned something new today.

Apparently, pretentious, lily-white suburbs in Northeast Ohio are different than pretentious lily-white suburbs in New England.

Interesting.

Thanks, Byronist. You learn something new everyday, I guess. By the way, Byronist, check out what some C-D posters have to say about New England. There's tons of negative people who clamor about leaving New England for precisely the same reasons that you want to leave Ohio.

The phrase, "grass is greener" comes to mind...

Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM

157 posts, read 283,498 times
I think everyone missed the fact that the OP is moving from California. I highly doubt they are going to consider Hudson to be "expensive". Everywhere in Ohio is cheap when you're coming from bigger cities/nicer states.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,196,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeeez View Post
Hudson, like Chagrin Falls has many fantastic features with the top one being you don't have to worry about hoodlums or illegals moving in and property values dropping down.
Illegals move into areas that have jobs. That pretty much leaves NE OH safe from any illegals invasion.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,225 times
My family recently moved to Hudson. I am not crazy about this area but we need great school for our kids. Yeah, property taxes are little high but it is cheaper than paying for 2 kids private school.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 PM

367 posts, read 620,848 times
When Hudson played Massillon Jackson in football last season it was dubbed "The Square Footage Bowl" Hudson is a nice place...

Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,150 times
I live in Hudson and it's a great community; Home prices range from 150K - 700's. Schools are rated excellent, safety is high and charming shopping. It's also clost to the National park for recreation and has easy access to the freeways. You get much more for your money in a home than in Solon, Chagrin Falls because it's out of Cuyahoga County. Yes prices have declined here too - I know, I'm a realtor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton