Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,726 times

Advertisements

For starters, new to the site. Thanks to anyone who helps steer me towards some good places.

So yeah, moving down to Akron from Cleveland. Been hanging out at places like W. 6th, Treemont and Ohio City. The Lakewood thing is cool too. Is there anything comparable to these areas of Cleveland to Akron. Something like Treemont is my hopes. Its late 20's early 30's business people going out for drinks. Would love someone to help on this one.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM

436 posts, read 1,647,824 times
Hi there!
I fit that category, so hopefully I can help you (Im 28 and work in Marketing).
Typically, downtown Akron is your best bet.
For more of an upscale/martini bar feel, try:
-Fuel Lounge MySpace.com - Fuel Lounge, Akron - 100 - Female - AKRON, Ohio - www.myspace.com/fuelmartini
-Lux (which used to be called Posh - and was so-so) Lux Nightclub & Ultra Lounge

For a more laid-back, bar with food & billiards feel, try:
-69 Taps
-The Barley House The Barley House: Sit Long ~ Talk Much ~ Laugh Often
-The Whiskey Ranch http://www.thewhiskeyranch.com/Pages/AkronHP.htm (broken link)

Other places (mainly nice, relatively trendy) restaurants include:
-Crave EAT. DRINK. C R A V E
-Vegiterranean (Chrissy Hyndes vegitarian restaurant in Northside) The Vegiterranean | Chrissie Hynde's New Vegan Restaurant | Vegetarian Restaurant Akron Ohio
-Bricco Bricco Restaurant in Akron and Cleveland, Ohio - Phunky Pizza and Pasta
-Big City Chophouse Big City Chophouse Restaurant - Locations Akron, Canton, Warren Ohio.

There are other places further from downtown, mainly in the Merriman Valley area but it doesnt strike me as being a 'destination' area.
You would have to just experience the area to see what you would like. Hopefully what I listed above can give you an idea. Akron isnt all that well known for a huge night-life scene but they are working on it.
Maybe this site can answer a lot of your questions as well:
Downtown Akron Partnership | Home

If not, and you need pics or anything like that, just let me know - I only live 5 minutes from downtown in the Highland Square area.
Good luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:16 AM

826 posts, read 1,625,360 times
Akron is boring..nothing much to do there. The only thing good to do is drive an hour north for fun.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
Akron is boring..nothing much to do there. The only thing good to do is drive an hour north for fun.
Whatev.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:37 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,360 times
It's true..they are two totally different cities..though they are both in northeast ohio..they are sort of like cincinnati/dayton...cleveland would be cincinnati while akron would be dayton.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
It's true..they are two totally different cities..though they are both in northeast ohio..they are sort of like cincinnati/dayton...cleveland would be cincinnati while akron would be dayton.
I give you that Cleveland and Akron are two different cities. But as of the last atleast 5 years, there isnt much to say about Cleveland. It's been extremely disappointing to see that city basically go down the toilet.
I do, however, enjoy East 4th where HOB, etc is. But there is no sense in driving all the way from Akron, if I can just go downtown in my own city. I only live 5 minutes from the bars/restaurants I mentioned..so, I have no reason to waste the gas or the time going up north. But, thats just me being practical.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 12,945 times
I say Cleveland is now on an upswing. Have you gone dntwn and seen the development and surge of new residents?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 AM

60 posts, read 152,884 times
Cleveland is definitely on an upswing, but people need to keep moving back downtown for the trend to continue. Key to this will be if they can keep construction going of new condos etc that will attract new residents.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 AM

217 posts, read 692,883 times
yeah tremont is nice....let me know if you find something comparable in akron...

Old 10-10-2008, 02:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,695 times
the city of akron is being revitilized begining with the university area.

new UA stadium: Welcome to the New University of Akron Stadium
new spicer village: Spicer Village - Contemporary Townhome Condominiums Located in Akron, Ohio (http://www.spicervillage.com/ - broken link)
and TONS of renovations and additions on campus.

its exciting being in the city right now.

btw, the entertainment is going to take off soon arond canal park once the university area keeps renovating and attracting young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton