U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,933,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
northeastern ohio is all one state of mind. if you are happy in any place in it, you will likely be happy in any other place in it. the cities are all steadily slipping toward death, but have some good suburbs.
I don't agree with that. The different cities all have a different feel to them. Of course they all have lousy winters, with Cleveland's being the worst.

Akron has made some efforts to come back from the decline of the 70's, far more than, say, Barberton or Youngstown. It does have a nice art museum, the minor league ballpark is great, the Akron Civic Theater, some good restaurants, and, amazingly for a town its size, two decent health food markets (west of town in Montrose). That said, it has a ways to go to say that it has made a complete recovery. The most active parts of downtown are owned by the University of Akron, and other parts really need some work.

Depending on your employment situation, you might also consider Canton (with several great museums, a minor league basketball team, and the Palace Theater), or one of several suburbs to Akron and Canton. If you're looking for a town with easy access to both Akron and to Cleveland, you might look into Medina (again, depending on where you're working).

You definitely want to avoid Norton (I speak with experience) and Barberton.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,620,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam164 View Post
Is the 1000 block of Collinwood Ave a decent place to live? I am a single 20 year old looking to move, one of my co-workers has a rental toward the end of the street.
North Hill is a pretty interesting neighborhood for both good and bad reasons. The area you're talking about could be better and could be worse, but in the end I guess it would be what you define as decent. For a 20 year old guy it's probably ok, though, and it's far enough North and East that you're somewhat "away" from the BS that takes place deeper into the neighborhood. You would also be close to Chapel Hill and the Gorge, you like outdoor sorts of things.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 AM

70 posts, read 146,802 times
I've lived in Uniontown which is basically Green for the past 18 months and it is a really nice area with easy access to Akron and Canton.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:50 AM

3 posts, read 34,339 times
I've lived in the Goodyear Heights neighborhood now for the past 2 months and I really enjoy this city and neighborhood for the most part!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,247,178 times
I grew up in Akron - elementary, middle school, high school, and college (University of Akron) before moving to the Bay Area 5 years ago. It isn't until you leave Akron that you really appreciate what it was and why some of those times were so special. It has its rough patches (and what good city doesn't?), but there are some really neat things happening there, and some benefits to living there.

What I like about Akron:

- Relative affordability (North Akron, where I grew up, has an average cost per home of around roughly $30,000 right now - some of them have some really nice craftsmanship that you just don't see anymore)
- Historic homes (West Akron and North Akron, for a pittance, have some really gorgeous homes)
- Influx of restaurants downtown
- Proximity to state/national parks, nature, etc.
- University of Akron expansion that is having a positive effect on all-things-downtown
- More hip areas than two decades before. i.e. downtown Akron and Highland Square both growing
- Random, but Akron Zips basketball (Nation-leading 16 straight wins as of this post!)
- Suitable suburbs nearby
- Luigis bleeping pizza!

I always toy with the idea of moving back one day, but if I did, it'd probably be for the stately homes in West Akron. I really think to enjoy Akron, it's best to live a bit closer. In keeping with decent public schools, living close to Akron, being in a nice community, and not overpaying for homes like you will in Hudson, Cuyahoga Falls would be my vote (and something that I too, would consider).

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam164 View Post
Is the 1000 block of Collinwood Ave a decent place to live? I am a single 20 year old looking to move, one of my co-workers has a rental toward the end of the street.
I grew up just two streets over from Collinwood and left about 5 years ago. North Hill isn't bad at all, though I'll grant you it isn't Akron's most exciting neighborhood. It's a neighborhood in flux, but it's generally quiet in those side streets. I grew up on Pitkin, where we had a bit more foot traffic because of Harris Elementary, but our biggest nuisance was probably just the annoying parents picking up their parents and clogging up the entire street around 3:00pm.

You'd be in the right part of North Hill. My general (and obvious) rule is to stay east of Main Street unless you're north of Lowell.

You'll have a little bit of riff raff on E. Cuyahoga Falls and North Main Street, but everyone pretty much just keeps to themselves. There's really no violent crime over there and you'll enjoy your close proximity to downtown and Route-8. Chapel Hill traffic is a nuisance at times, but it's nice to be so close to so many stores.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 02-15-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 PM

13 posts, read 36,339 times
Default re: Is Akron a good place to live....

All of these areas mentioned have some BIG differences.

I live in the city of Akron, almost on the border with Tallmadge. There are extremely affordable, well-taken-care-of areas EVERYWHERE in Akron. Whether it's Ellet, Goodyear Heights, or Firestone Park. In fact, Ellet has some tremendous deals on homes, in multiple neighborhoods.

I can't speak about Norton or Barberton (the city of Barberton, while having some leftover 'character', is pretty down-trodden, in my opinion) but there are also some very affordable areas in Cuyahoga Falls. As there is in Springfield Township. However, when you start talking about Green and Uniontown, you're moving up in price. It's much more affordable to live in Ellet or Springfield Township, than in many areas of Green, and certainly Uniontown. With the latter two, the schools are excellent. The Lake schools are some of the best-ranked in the state. (but, higher property taxes)

I think when you mention's 'Hudson', you're talking about a different level altogether. It's quaint...charming...great to stroll downtown on a weekend. But you have to have much higher earnings to actually live in most areas of Hudson.

I would say that Stow is a nice area, although higher-priced. Same with Wadsworth. But, really, if you wanted an affordable sub-$120,000 home, I'd consider Ellet.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 16,494 times
I grew up in Bath, moved to Portage Lakes after getting married and now reside in Medina. I'm a real estate agent and elected official. I currently own 14 rental properties all over the City of Akron. Akron is an interesting town, absolutely cold, snowy and gray weather during the Winter months. The recent recession was tough on the housing market, yet I'm surprised to see how quickly the market is improving. The City is doing a nice job razing the abandoned homes. Downtown has a lot of culture, neat entertainment and a cool place to spend time. A lot of history here. Can't beat the location, mid way between Cleveland and Canton. Neighborhoods all have a lot of character, well built older homes. Each neighborhood certainly has its own flavor. A few tough neighborhoods like any decently large City, but makes the area diverse and interesting.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:54 AM

12 posts, read 40,644 times
Akron is great, there's quite a bit to do an explore, but it's small enough where you can really become involved with the community.

West Akron, Highland Square/Merriman Hills, is probably the best area.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,933,923 times
Akron has its positive points, but it also is still having a hard time recovering from the loss of the rubber industry and of the downtown department stores (both going back a few decades).

There are some great restaurants in Akron, they have a nice art museum, a minor league baseball team, and they really try to get programs going in the "Lock" complex downtown during the summer. There are also some nice suburbs. In the Fairlawn area, you can find just about anything you want. (More good restaurants, TWO health food groceries......Mustard Seed and Earth Fare, and just about every retail establishment that exists in the northeast). However, there are many, MANY empty buildings downtown, and the city has a long way to go.

While there are some nice suburbs, there are also a lot of REALLY rough ones for a town Akron's size.....Kenmore, Barberton, and Norton are real pits.

The other thing that is a huge negative is the winter weather, and the resulting deterioration of streets and highways. I realize that this is a northeast thing, but it seems as though not much money is put into keeping roads up here.

All said, if you can stand the weather, and downtown life isn't a HUGE issue for you, you'll enjoy Akron. You can certainly attain real estate here cheaper than the majority of the rest of the United States. And you have the convenience of being close to other major cities (Cleveland, Youngstown, Canton, Columbus)....something that a lot of other cities Akron's size can't claim.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,151,337 times
If you look at Akron from the right perspective it's not a bad town at all. What I mean is, you can only appreciate Akron if you focus more on what Akron is and not what Akron was. For a recovering mid sized rust belt city Akron is doing pretty good. Yeah, the department stores aren't there anymore but how many cities still have local department stores downtown? Any?

Akron's most impressive feat was that its neighborhoods managed to stay mostly stable compared to many other rust belt cities. The city of Akron still has a number of solidly middle class neighborhoods (as well as some nice suburbs). Sure, there's some urban blight here and there but nothing on par with what you see in places like Cleveland or Detroit.

The general consensus is that Akron's hardest times are in the past. The rubber industry has been replaced by polymer research and the University has helped spur a lot of white collar job growth. Overall, I think Akron's future is bright given the circumstances. That is, as long as we're willing to accept that local department stores and rubber companies will be replaced by night life and polymer engineering start ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton