Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 03:00 AM

2 posts, read 10,155 times

Advertisements

dawnie417, as a lifelong resident (almost 30 years) of Northeastern Ohio, I would very highly recommend Akron or one of the immediately surrounding communities/suburbs, but I guess it ultimately depends upon the things that you and your husband value most. What are you looking for in a home? In a neighborhood? In schools, if you have children? Do you like to socialize with your neighbors? It sounds like you are looking for a relatively quiet, calm area. I tend to think of communities like Tallmadge, Copley, Norton or Ellet under that description. But maybe you could also take a look at the western area of Portage County to the east of Akron?

One of the key advantages of living in or right around Akron is that you would be relatively close to everything in the area, from the major airports, to the parks, Cleveland's sports arenas and other major events and destinations. Akron, Canton and Cleveland have all been experiencing the early stages of revival as of late, which bodes well for the region's future.

Ultimately, however, you will most want to consider where you will be living in relation to your husband's place of employment. How far would a commute be from Warren, versus the Akron or Canton areas? I am assuming that Warren may be a little closer to the location of your husband's company? If not, I would seriously suggest taking another look at the Akron area, or even at Portage County in between.

In all honesty, the Warren-Youngstown/Mahoning Valley area has struggled severely both economically and socially for decades for lack of the capable leadership with fresh ideas and vision to carry them forward. Warren generally takes its' economic cues from Youngstown, which may be the most politically corrupt major city in Ohio. Seriously. The Mob has dominated the political scene in that section of NE Ohio for years. I could not in good faith honestly recommend the Warren area at this time to a newcomer. There are plenty of other quiet communities in better parts of the region.

Last edited by NEOBuckeye; 07-09-2006 at 03:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2006, 03:29 AM

2 posts, read 10,155 times
Between Youngstown-Warren and Canton, I would hands-down pick Canton. The Canton/Stark County area has a good mix of urban/rural/suburban living arrangements and is very tranquil... except of course during High School Football season! If you live around Canton, you have got to love Football. Football in Canton/Stark County is culturally equal to the Mob and corruption in and around Youngstown/Warren/Mahoning Valley, and far more benign.

If you're looking for deeper thinking and multiple depths of culture, however, you'd be much better off moving to Downtown Cleveland, Lakewood or Akron's Highland Square community.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:06 AM

89 posts, read 371,309 times
We looked at a house in Canton-downtown area. Was seriously thinking of putting an offer on it. But I was reading their newspaper, and everyday there was a list of over 10 crimes that happened. From rape to burglary. So I checked into it a little more, and I was warned not to move to Canton. They said the crime is out of control.
Was disappointed. I really liked the house, thought the downtown area was really nice. I really loved the Water Works park.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 10,950 times
So the crime is bad in Canton. That is disappointing as that is where I will be working. Are there any safer suburbs maybe?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:14 AM

976 posts, read 3,852,216 times
The crime in Canton is not as bad as you may think it is. The city overall is safe and it is changing in more ways than one. Like you said the downtown is nice and it has gotten a huge facelift. The population of the city is growing. The suburbs are awesome and very safe. Like Massilon, Alliance, Louisville, Reedurban, and North Canton. Overall Canton is a safe city and its an excellent metropolitan area.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:14 PM

714 posts, read 2,925,031 times
I grew up in Canton from 1963 to 1978, I moved when I was 23. It was a wonderful town then, I felt relatively safe there, there were good places to go to and it is close to everything Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus has to offer in special events and sports. Plus there are the high-school football games that I miss.

I have not been back for a visit since 1987, but I try to keep up with things via the internet newspaper, Canton Repositiry. What I read doesn't sound good, major employers (Timken, etc) have left, there are gang-related crimes, and the downtown area looks worse than when I lived there with many of the old buildings torn down. The first mall that was opened (Mellatt Mall) has closed (I think). Heck, my old high school is now a senior citizen home.

I hope things are better, and will get better. It was a wonderful place.

The main reason I left in 1978 was for employment, and weather. I survived the blizzard of 1978, then I said never again. Several times I have thought about going back, but most of my family that lived around there are deceased or moved, so there really is no reason.

They say you spend half your life trying to get away from home, and the next half trying to get back.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:01 PM

976 posts, read 3,852,216 times
^ I go through Canton at least once a week down I-77. Canton's downtown has a great mixture of older and modern buildings. The cities population is growing. But, the city does have a crime problem is one certain part of the city just like every other city in this nation has. We wont turn our heads to that problem. But i look at Phoenix, AZ where people are flocking to, but that is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. Every city with over 50,000 people is destined to have some types of problems. But Canton has come along way from the 70s and 80s and the suburbs are doing really great. I think alot of people get overshadowed by the fact of a cities crime problem and forget about living in the suburbs. Canton is a great city and a great metro area to live in.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 31,032 times
mr paintballer hold it buddy, ive lived in massillon from the time i was 1 1/2, and i left when i was 20.and i for one dont understand why you say mass is one of canton s sub s,i know you truely get on here to help folks, and you shurly do,and for that im ONLY saying this WITH respect.you cant see to much from driveing to a town and staying on the high way.or dealing with folks that only know what they are told.they dont know the folks that live there, and what really gose on b/c chances are they dont live around there. not that a urban planner is any better than a welder (me) but i deal with comen folks hell im as comen as they get lol but what im trying to say is canton is ok as long as you dont mess around in down town (bad crime) and a house for good folks well u mite need to head out of town for at lest 3 or 4 miles befor it gets safe, north canton, perry,massillon,jackson green the list go s on and on. work in these places are hard to come by worst now than ever

Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 AM

15 posts, read 36,185 times
Seriously, you people are smoking crack.

Canton is the very buckle of the rust belt. Forbes magazine has dubbed Canton as one of the fastest dying cities in the US, and one of the country's "most miserable" places to live.

People are leaving Ohio in droves and the population of Canton, and Ohio have both steadily declined for the last two decades. No jobs. No industry. No political leadership.

Driving through Canton, or reading the Suppository online, doesn't qualify anyone to make an informed judgment on the merits of Canton.

Canton is a sinking ship, yet the City Data band plays on.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 AM

100 posts, read 244,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchopper View Post
Seriously, you people are smoking crack.

Canton is the very buckle of the rust belt. Forbes magazine has dubbed Canton as one of the fastest dying cities in the US, and one of the country's "most miserable" places to live.

People are leaving Ohio in droves and the population of Canton, and Ohio have both steadily declined for the last two decades. No jobs. No industry. No political leadership.

Driving through Canton, or reading the Suppository online, doesn't qualify anyone to make an informed judgment on the merits of Canton.

Canton is a sinking ship, yet the City Data band plays on.
Apparently you search for any post that has Akron/Canton in the title since this is from 2006 so you can once again say.."Canton is the very buckle of the rust belt. Forbes magazine has dubbed Canton as one of the fastest dying cities in the US, and one of the country's "most miserable" places to live." That's all anyone has to do is look at your past posts to see this.

Seriously, do you need attention that bad? I thought you were happy to be gone, it seems like your obsessed with Akron/Canton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton