U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2007, 11:56 AM

673 posts, read 2,946,383 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what Canton, Ohio is like?

Is the cost of housing lower then Akron?
What neighborhoods arent safe?
Any city buses to Akron?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,804,869 times
here is where you need paint baller he could give you all the stats.
but from what i remember canton wasn't to nice a place but the outskirts are great, lots of shopping centers/malls line I-77,little towns like n.canton,Louisville alliance ,Jackson township. and if you go west you have massillion which is home of th famous(Washington high school) aka massillion tigers,which has a football program for boys starting in the maternity ward through high school, thy used to win the state championship every year....but it was mostly politics , i don't think they have won since the the voting for state champs stopped and the playoff s started.....just had to get a dig in on the tigers!!!!!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:03 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,804,869 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton%2C_Ohio

Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM

97 posts, read 374,348 times
I lived in North Canton when I was younger, and it seemed like a nice place at the time. It was safe and the schools reasonably good.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:59 PM

5 posts, read 21,813 times
It's like Akron, only worse...

Old 08-08-2007, 05:14 PM

7 posts, read 60,230 times
I don't like Canton one bit.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:08 AM

286 posts, read 1,159,364 times
Who better to talk to than the cable install guys... right? They see ALL walks of life throughout the region on their daily travels.

From what I have been told... Canton is a little stagnant and run down. The burbs are ok, but nothing is going on in the area or going for the area right now. Great place for a cheap house. I have only been to a store on the very north end of Canton, and it was a quick trip. The area I was in seemed pretty run down and had a neglected look about it. I have no idea about the bus system to Akron.

I personally would not move there or invest into property in the area. I would stay closer to Akron and surrounding areas.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM

68 posts, read 241,903 times
[quote=MattDen;401831]I was wondering what Canton, Ohio is like?

QUOTE]

The original poster didn't ask if folks liked Canton, s/he asked what Canton was like.

I am a native Clevelander, but have never been to Canton. What I know about it is that houses are very cheap and the teenage pregnancy rate is high enough to have made the wire services.

I am interested in moving back to the Northeast or Midwest, and be a part of bringing a city back to life. That is why I am interested in reading about cities on these forums.

So, anyone with Canton experience care to tell us about the city?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM

74 posts, read 279,321 times
Well I was born and raised in Canton and unfortunely still there and the whole eastside is bad. The SW has some nice areas but its on the Perry/Canton boarderline. The NW is pretty nice for the most part. The SE and NE though are areas where you're asking for trouble if you move in and you don't know many people. I currently live in the SE but was born in the SW and althought the SW isn't a good neighborhood it's pretty well mixed with blacks and whites. Downtown only has a few things going for it like the Civic Centre and The Palace Theatre but besides that the city is pointless. Just a few weeks ago the nicest mail lady I've met was shot delivering mail in the NE section. All the big job corporations are closing down if not already closed down. The mall in Canton City is Canton Centre which has about an average of 30 people per day who actually shop there. Anything else you want to know just ask me.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 PM

74 posts, read 279,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
I lived in North Canton when I was younger, and it seemed like a nice place at the time. It was safe and the schools reasonably good.
That's North Canton which isn't even that close to Canton City. North Canton is a much much higher class than anything in Canton. Don't judge Canton one bit by North Canton. It's two completely different cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton