Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 06:03 PM

13 posts, read 161,886 times

Advertisements

Well I am considering going to Kent State University, but I don't want to live in Kent. I was thinking living somewhere in Akron. What is Akron like? Is Cleveland nicer or worse? If Akron is not a nice place to live I was thinking about Maple Heights, is that nice?

Sincerly,
Troubled With So Many Decisions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,220 times
why not try cuyahoga falls or stow?

Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM

13 posts, read 161,886 times
Are those areas quite nice? I'm looking for an area that has a lot to do. Preferably Nightclubs and Bars as well as Diners and Movie Theaters.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:32 PM

cuyahoga falls has rockin on the river every friday outside beer and bands fromspring to fall, the falls would be more suited for you than stow, lots of bars but lots of cops so take a cab, they will ticket you for a wwi (walking while intoxicated)

Last edited by Yac; 03-03-2007 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: if you want to talk to me, use a pm.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:49 PM

34 posts, read 189,922 times
I go to Kent State University and live in Akron. I really love it. I live in "the valley" area of Akron and it's just full of restaurants, bars, etc. I live right next to the Towpath so I go running, bicycling, and walk my dog on it constantly. There are a lot of young nice people around. It's also very beautiful and I haven't heard of any crime in the area in my year here. It wasn't hard finding an apartment, and they even gave me a deal where I lived here for the first 3 months free!

Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 PM

the valley is great,and you could shoot up portage trail to graham rd
although i dont know how bad the traffic is out there anymore?

Old 03-18-2007, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,031 times
Post Re: Simfan453

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sarad View Post
I go to Kent State University and live in Akron. I really love it. I live in "the valley" area of Akron and it's just full of restaurants, bars, etc. I live right next to the Towpath so I go running, bicycling, and walk my dog on it constantly. There are a lot of young nice people around. It's also very beautiful and I haven't heard of any crime in the area in my year here. It wasn't hard finding an apartment, and they even gave me a deal where I lived here for the first 3 months free!
Good post describing the Merriman Valley.

I moved to Akron six months ago, and like you, I will be attending Kent State. The valley is a beautiful setting located on the NW side of Akron, bordering the suburb of Cuyahoga Falls. The area seems brimming with young adults who commute to U of Akron and Kent State. The housing (apartments) in the valley are affordable and I think a 20-25 minute drive to Kent's campus. Though because of the high college-age population there are a lot of parties, trash on the roadsides, and petty crimes such as vandalism (mainly when people are drunk, I suppose). There seem to be many bars in the valley and you also wouldn't be more than 10-15 minutes from the shopping and restaurants in Fairlawn. The Cuyahoga Valley National Park is also about 15 minutes away if you really enjoy nature.
A certain stench from a composting facility pervades the valley, though, so BEWARE!

Overall it's not too bad of an area I guess considering affordability and commute time to school. At least there is more scenery than where I came from!

Plenty of cheap housing is in Cuyahoga Falls as well, and is just as close to Kent as the Valley. Living in the suburbs would be nice, and the Falls has a little of everything to do, but the police are everywhere and the whole city seems to be one giant speed trap. For that reason I enjoy living within the Akron city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton