Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM

58 posts, read 223,491 times

Advertisements

I moved here from the Bronx, New York in August 2006. Whenever I hear people tell me of how much crime there is in Akron I have to pinch myself and ask if they're for real! I live on a major road, not far from the highway; it's much quieter than anything back east, much, much cleaner and the people and children are well-behaved, at least from New York standards. My only con: I find the people here in Northeast Ohio quite unfriendly. I was expecting a welcome to the neighborhood when all I was left with was stares! Now they're warmed up to me, but after almost 3 years, I can quote my grandmother: "you can kiss my Irish arse in Macy's window."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 PM

436 posts, read 1,642,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlalonde View Post
I moved here from the Bronx, New York in August 2006. Whenever I hear people tell me of how much crime there is in Akron I have to pinch myself and ask if they're for real! I live on a major road, not far from the highway; it's much quieter than anything back east, much, much cleaner and the people and children are well-behaved, at least from New York standards. My only con: I find the people here in Northeast Ohio quite unfriendly. I was expecting a welcome to the neighborhood when all I was left with was stares! Now they're warmed up to me, but after almost 3 years, I can quote my grandmother: "you can kiss my Irish arse in Macy's window."
lolol! that quote is awesome!
I've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and have experienced the unfriendliness as well so I understand. Sorry about the rude people but I promise we arent all like that.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:04 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,762,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrrl77 View Post
lolol! that quote is awesome!
I've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and have experienced the unfriendliness as well so I understand. Sorry about the rude people but I promise we aren't all like that.
The petulance is probably due to the regional lousy weather that is hard to shake off, the lo$$ of indu$try here because the union mentality conceit passed on through generations that everyone is worth $25+ an hour, even if you're pushing a broom at an auto factory.

Not to mention that pride and boosterism shot down by losing sports teams, though we do have LeBron.

There are nice people here..as always, pick your friends carefully.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 PM

11 posts, read 38,907 times
Akron is the "Little Cleveland" of NEO....just as dirty & crime ridden anymore. When we moved into our Apt in the Chapel Hill Mall area 10 years ago, it was safe to walk & push my better half in her wheel chair up to the mall & surrounding area just to get out & about. 3 1/2 - 4 years ago that all changed, and I would not recommend this are to anyone unless you want to get accosted by drunks & punks asking for money, cigs, food, etc.

And before the race card is played, it is all types black, white, asian, hispanic, you name it they have their pushy hand out on the corners, bus stops, outside stores in the parking lots, most everywhere you turn.

This is why we are out of here, we don't want to spend the rest of our lives locked in a cage because of the people that are moving into the area. I am a life long resident of Akron and have lived in EVERY part of the city over the last 50 years, but I would not recommend Akron to anyone anymore...

Old 08-27-2009, 04:49 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,357,429 times
smurf I agree chapel hill is getting rough it has picked up the rolling acres crowd I think. but all in all there are lots of nice places.....check out the burbs

Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 PM

157 posts, read 283,262 times
I lived in Akron for 5 years, went to college there etc. If there's anyway you can get to Columbus, it's a THOUSAND times better than Akron. I would not live in Akron rent and grocery free. Then again, I'm single and probably looking for different things than you and your husband.

If you like to do things, good luck, there's absolutely nothing to do. Not that Columbus is the most fabulous place, but it's infinitely better than NE Ohio, including Cleveland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrrl77 View Post
Oh and in response to the college degree discussion that was mentioned before.....college degrees arent everything.

I have a Bachelor's in Mass Communication (specialty in Radio) from the UofA and am considered a young, urban professional. I currently work at the HQs of a highly recognized and successful retail establishment (in Marketing/Advertising). ....My brother, on the other hand, is 2 years younger than I am and had dropped out of OSU. He has no college degree of any kind and is currently making $20K more than I am (roughly $65K). He is a hard worker, of course, however, it just goes to show you that you do not need a college degree to get a good job making pretty decent money by the time you are 26 years old. Oh and I'm still paying off one of my college loans, while he has none.

My paper degree may help me in the long run at some point but I have yet to see the complete benefits of having achieved a 4 year degree and spending tons of money. I will admit, though, that the college-life 'experience' is valuable however I don't think that it completely prepares you for the real world. But, thats just me....
@KSU - you are doing the college thing now - what do you think?
Not to sound harsh, but Communications is the wrong thing to major in if you want to make money.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 AM

58 posts, read 223,491 times
Again, I must say that before anyone thinks the grass is greener anywhere else; let me warn you; there are many, many, many parts of this country that are so horrible compared to Akron you'd be surprised! I'd venture once again, to say that anyone who thinks Chappel Hill or Akron or any other city in Ohio is so crime-ridden, etc. has probably never set foot outside it.

Even in Arizona, where my son is completing Intelligence training for the Army, it's dirty, very, very expensive and hard to get used to.

My only lament is that at least for me, is to keep to myself, because of the unfriendly atmosphere here (Akron), but compared to New Jersey, and New York, it's so much cleaner and nicer, I'd never dream of going back. I dare anyone who feels what a dirty, crime-ridden environment they're experiencing in Akron to take a trip to Jersey, New York, Chicago or California, then I'll almost guarantee they'll run back to Akron with open arms, Macy's window notwithstanding.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:31 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,195,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlalonde View Post
Again, I must say that before anyone thinks the grass is greener anywhere else; let me warn you; there are many, many, many parts of this country that are so horrible compared to Akron you'd be surprised! I'd venture once again, to say that anyone who thinks Chappel Hill or Akron or any other city in Ohio is so crime-ridden, etc. has probably never set foot outside it.

Even in Arizona, where my son is completing Intelligence training for the Army, it's dirty, very, very expensive and hard to get used to.

My only lament is that at least for me, is to keep to myself, because of the unfriendly atmosphere here (Akron), but compared to New Jersey, and New York, it's so much cleaner and nicer, I'd never dream of going back. I dare anyone who feels what a dirty, crime-ridden environment they're experiencing in Akron to take a trip to Jersey, New York, Chicago or California, then I'll almost guarantee they'll run back to Akron with open arms, Macy's window notwithstanding.
I will agree that there are a lot worse places than Akron in this country, but I will say that Jersey, New York, Chicago, and California all have areas that leave Akron in the dust. Although, you have to be willing to pay the price to live in those areas. In most big metro areas you will find areas that are very nice as well as some that are very ghetto. Akron is more middle of the road; nothing all that bad there, but nothing all that great either. Akron is certainly cheap though, so an average middle class area is much cheaper than a similar neighborhood in a big metro area. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,195,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
I lived in Akron for 5 years, went to college there etc. If there's anyway you can get to Columbus, it's a THOUSAND times better than Akron. I would not live in Akron rent and grocery free. Then again, I'm single and probably looking for different things than you and your husband.
Cleveland > Columbus. Much more things to do in Cleveland. Both are better than Akron if you are single, although Akron is more than a fine place to raise a family.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:58 PM

157 posts, read 283,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Cleveland > Columbus. Much more things to do in Cleveland. Both are better than Akron if you are single, although Akron is more than a fine place to raise a family.
Cleveland is not even comparable to Columbus unless you want to go to an Indians or Cavs game.

You practically have to step over the homeless in downtown Cleveland. Columbus is exceptionally clean in comparison. The "nightlife" in Cleveland is a joke. West 6th is horrible and arguably no better than Akron nightlife. There are some good restaurants in Cleveland, but just as many in Columbus. If you're young and single, there's just no comparison, sorry. You might as well be comparing Akron to Columbus.

This video about sums it up.

YouTube - HASTILY MADE CLEVELAND TOURISM VIDEO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton