Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,987,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
chinmom,
the hillwood homes were so nasty AMHA tore them down and replaced them with hillwood II homes,

today the old projects have been replaced with new condo type housing If you lived in one of these growing up you would more than likely still live there why work and own a 100 year old home and have to pay for upkeep when you can have a lovely new home for free?
but how long will it be before they are trashed?
Isn't that Rosemary/King James Court/whatever they call it now?

That's where that little girl got hit by a stray bullet - on the second floor - over the summer and died. That stretch of Arlington by Arlington Plaza is flanked with subsidized housing on both sides. It's not going to be on any tourists' lists of attractions but you're not going to die if you want to go drive around and see what a craphole it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,350,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Isn't that Rosemary/King James Court/whatever they call it now?

That's where that little girl got hit by a stray bullet - on the second floor - over the summer and died. That stretch of Arlington by Arlington Plaza is flanked with subsidized housing on both sides. It's not going to be on any tourists' lists of attractions but you're not going to die if you want to go drive around and see what a craphole it is.
hillwoodII was replaced years ago,but the new condo/projects are near the zoo and Joy park

Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
hillwoodII was replaced years ago,but the new condo/projects are near the zoo and Joy park
That's 2 different places. The one over by the zoo was Edgewood before they demolished it and built that new development (which is really nice - the inside of some of those have what look like 12 ft ceilings). Joy Park is... still Joy Park to my knowledge. That's off of Kelly south of Goodyear.

You sure Rosemary/whatever wasn't Hillwood? Hillwood Park is right there.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,514 times
My name is Reese and I live in the United Kingdom. I grew up on the West Side of Akron in the area that was called the hill. If you use Copley Road or Euclid as your guide, anything below Edgewood was considered the Valley.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese Cannon View Post
My name is Reese and I live in the United Kingdom. I grew up on the West Side of Akron in the area that was called the hill. If you use Copley Road or Euclid as your guide, anything below Edgewood was considered the Valley.
Hmmm, you say take me to "the Valley" now and you'll be in Merriman Valley. You say take me to "the Hill" and you'll be in North Hill. The rest of that you would be borderlining between West Hill and the catchall West Akron. Or in casual conversation you would say the Zoo or Edgewood, because the Zoo is there (obvious) or the projects (that aren't there anymore).

Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,350,279 times
arent those zoo condo's gov't sec.8?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,429 times
Does anyone remmber Mr. S fastfood in front of Hillwood homes across the street from a bar called Monties and vaccaros pizza

Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,495 times
I so totally understand what you're saying, but it was a very nice thing having your own house and yard, and not being able to hear what was going on in the neighbor's "house". Plus, the neighborhood was A LOT nicer! I just looked up the Hillwood II Homes, and they do look nicer than the old ones. They look to be in the same place, but it appears that they've renamed all of the streets as well. I kind of agree with you on one thing, I don't think I'd take any bets on how long it'll take to completely trash the place. Thanks for the info, that solves one mystery!

Old 06-15-2015, 02:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmom View Post
It sounds to me like like you might be talking about a place I remember called Hillwood Homes. I lived there (many) years ago when I was a small child. I lived on Bertley Dr., and they were one story apartment type buildings, if I remember correctly, they may have been cinderblock. I believe there were three or four units in each building. It wasn't "uptown, but it wasn't too bat at that time, either. It was a lower cost housing, for lack of a better word, complex though. We didn't live there very long before we moved to Firestone Park and I do remember it getting pretty seedy at that time. I visited Akron a few years back and wanted to go by there, just to see what had happened to the place, but my sister wouldn't take me because she said that it was definitely not a place you would want to go. I'm still wondering what ever happened to that place, because I've done a little research and can't even find Bertley Drive.
I also lived on Bertley Drive ( 1945 - 1966 ) The Hayes'. Quick history on Hillwood Homes from my memory. Built originally 1945 for GI families to be allowed to come to Akron, Ohio to work in the rubber shops. ( Akron was known as the "Rubber City " due to all the rubber tire companies were here.) My parents came there around 1945 and was one of the early families to move in... the apartment building was not completed, nor final grade for yards were in place. Rent was about $45/month @ maybe 225 square ft. 3 bedroom; one 3/4" gas line for a 3 burner gas stove w/oven and a single coal fired pot bellied heater in living room for entire apartment.

After war was over more families moved in from all parts of the country. Low income but very clean and very fun place to grow up. Door locks were not even used until sometime in the early sixties. This was the true family place to grow up and learn street smarts and meet lots of people. Everyone watched out for each other and helped each other.

Hillwood was cinder block foundation ( craw spaces below ) with wood frame above and asbestos shingles outside. Across Arlington Street was what we called Wilbeth Arlington Homes; ( we called them the rich "white Homes" because they were all cinder block construction and all painted white. No other differences, same interiors, etc..

Closet grocery store was north on Arlington Street near Wilbeth St. called the Co-OP; good 1 to 2 mile walk. There were three corner open store type stores on the corner of Arlington & rt 224. They sold limited groceries and fresh produce stands during the summers. These were small stores with again the coal/wood fired pot bellied fire places for heat. Later in the early 60s Reds Bar opened a grocery store on the NE corner.... but a fire later burned it to the ground...that is another story for another for another loooong thread.. The Reds Bar Fires!

Akron airport was busy back then' lots of Goodyear & Navy blimps. Occasional Hillwood apartment building would loose a chimney due to low flying aircrafts... You could wave to blimp pilots and they would wave back. Later a street long apartments were torn down to allow for the aircrafts flying.

Lots of stories and books could be written on the "Times & Glory @ Hillwood Homes". The original homes were torn down around 1968-69 for newer and better (???) Hillwood II Homes.

Every year there is a picnic held for Hillwood Homes dwellers to meet and exchange stories/pictures/etc from one of the projects families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
View detailed profiles of: