Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM

58 posts, read 282,049 times

Advertisements

Typo on title- should be Akron, OH

Got potential employment opportunities with major companies in both places. Which would be a better place to be considering safety, diversity, climate, living expenses, things to go and music scene? I am looking to be settled down for at least 2 years.

I am a 24/5-year-old male professional looking to relocate. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond5 View Post

Got potential employment opportunities with major companies in both places. Which would be a better place to be considering safety, diversity, climate, living expenses, things to go and music scene? I am looking to be settled down for at least 2 years.

I think on most counts they are similar.

Things Hartford may have on Akron is most likely being slightly more diverse (well, having a larger hispanic pop), being a state capital, and its proximity to NYC (2-3hrs).

Things Akron has on Hartford is cheaper cost of living, larger population (Akron city is about 2x the population of Hartford city), larger metro (northeast Ohio has about a third of the state's population, or around 4 million people - Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown are all in about a 60 mile radius; Hartford is a little over a million).

Crime, climate, etc. are probably negligible as far as difference.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
larger metro (northeast Ohio has about a third of the state's population, or around 4 million people - Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown are all in about a 60 mile radius; Hartford is a little over a million).
I would have to disagree with a "larger metro" especially when comparing cities within a 60 mile radius. About 20 miles south of Hartford proper begins the NYC Metro and 50 miles northeast of the city begins the Boston metro. Most of the metros in CT overlap with the existence of satellite cities.

That said, the OP would get much more for their money in Akron and crime stats show that Akron proper is safer than Hartford proper.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:11 AM

269 posts, read 778,947 times
Hartford hands down!

I say if you can afford to live in CT, go for it. Being from CT, I may be a little biased, but I truly do feel CT is one of the best states to live in. I'm the same age as you and live down in Cincinnati (employment reasons).

I want to leave but I'm not really in a position to move right now due to student loans. The low cost of living is really the only thing keeping me in Ohio.

The diversity in Hartford blows Akron away and northeast Ohio for that matter....And diversity doesn't even exist in Cinicinnati. I'm Panamanian and black and I've had a couple of people ask me if I'm an Arab. I'm going to leave that alone because I could go on forever about the diversity or lack of that exists in Ohio.

Akron is larger than Hartford, but IMO, the latter "feels" larger. I think the density of Hartford makes it feel larger than what it is compared to Akron being a lot more spread out.

I don't know if it's important to you, but Hartford is a lot more progressive
and liberal than Akron.

Akron wins in the safety department. I don't know if it is still a problem but I remember car theft and break-ins being a widespread problem in Harftord in the 90's. The VERY high number of minorites in the city also elevates the level of discomfort some people have with living there.

With that being said, for me, the proximity to NYC and Boston alone is enough to choose Hartford over Akron.

Best of luck to you on your choice.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I would have to disagree with a "larger metro" especially when comparing cities within a 60 mile radius. About 20 miles south of Hartford proper begins the NYC Metro and 50 miles northeast of the city begins the Boston metro. Most of the metros in CT overlap with the existence of satellite cities.
That's a stretch. It's over 100 miles from Hartford to Boston and over 120 miles to NYC. While I give you the inbetween to NYC may be more dense, one could easily say the metros of Cleveland and Columbus fall within 60 miles of each other - and I guarantee you the ride up I-84 to Boston is as spotty as the ride here down I-71 to Columbus. And even if you included the entire Connecticut stretch south to NY and north to MA, and then throw in the rest of the state with it, you're only at 3.5 million people.

But I will say if I had to choose between 2 hours to Columbus or Pittsburgh or 2 hours to Boston or NYC, I'd take the latter. And the train system there is certainly a nice perk.......... until they get the Cleveland to Cinci route rolling here!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
The diversity in Hartford blows Akron away and northeast Ohio for that matter....And diversity doesn't even exist in Cinicinnati. I'm Panamanian and black and I've had a couple of people ask me if I'm an Arab. I'm going to leave that alone because I could go on forever about the diversity or lack of that exists in Ohio.
Depends on the view - black and Asian pops are similar, but Akron (and Ohio) has very few hispanics.

Quote:
Akron is larger than Hartford, but IMO, the latter "feels" larger. I think the density of Hartford makes it feel larger than what it is compared to Akron being a lot more spread out.
As I'm sure you know, Hartford is the primary city in the region and state capital. Akron is secondary, so some of the "regional" things you would find in Hartford are in Cleveland here (sans state capital, of course). But other things typical of mid-sized cities (i.e. minor league sports teams) are represented in Akron as well.

Quote:
I don't know if it's important to you, but Hartford is a lot more progressive and liberal than Akron.
Ha, that I wouldn't doubt. Akron is typical middle-of-the-road Midwest city when it comes to "progressive" ideology. Whatever the current opinion on TV is probably going to be current opinion here, but Akron/Cleveland is not setting any trends.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
I like Akron better. Its cheaper to live, offers a great quality of life, and you are not far from major cities. Hartford has run down areas too.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 113,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond5 View Post

What sort of "diversity" are you referring to? You don't specify.

Also, you don't specify if you are looking for less or more "diversity".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton