U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,179,973 times

Advertisements

Homes: Most affordable in 2 decades - Yahoo! Real Estate

IMO, Youngstown shouldn't even be on that list. Of course home prices are low, but it lacks the the one thing all the other cities on the list have: jobs.

When people from other areas ask if Ohio is really bad as people make it out to be, I always answer no. But Youngstown is. Unless you're in the mafia, Youngstown probably isn't for you.

p.s. Before anyone gets too angry about my Youngstown comments...I'm referring to the CITY of Youngstown, not the suburbs. Yes, I realize Y-town has great suburbs, so does every other Ohio city. Also, that last part about the mafia was a joke. Lighten up!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 06:10 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,864,069 times
even the mafia has left ytown!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 AM

5,054 posts, read 8,253,095 times
You might be interested to know that I moved to Youngstown from the Massillon/Canton area because I found a job here first. (back in 2000) I also live and work happily within the city.

As far as finding jobs, Youngstown doesn't seem much different from many other parts of Ohio right now.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
You might be interested to know that I moved to Youngstown from the Massillon/Canton area because I found a job here first. (back in 2000) I also live and work happily within the city.
I'm sure Youngstown has plenty to offer if you're in the right field. But generally speaking it will always be worst off of the major American cities.

Quote:
Youngstown doesn't seem much different from many other parts of Ohio right now.
You mean the country?
America's Pink-Slip Capitals - Yahoo! Real Estate

Ohio isn't even close to the worst hit right now.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
even the mafia has left ytown!
Not completely. Trust me.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:32 PM

5,054 posts, read 8,253,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
You mean the country?
America's Pink-Slip Capitals - Yahoo! Real Estate

Ohio isn't even close to the worst hit right now.
No, I meant Ohio.

Here is an interesting map based on stats from March:
Associated Press Interactive: AP Economic Stress Index

According to that map, Mahoning county's unemployment rate in March was 12.7%. That's not great, but there are other counties in Ohio that are worse.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
No, I meant Ohio.

Here is an interesting map based on stats from March:
Associated Press Interactive: AP Economic Stress Index

According to that map, Mahoning county's unemployment rate in March was 12.7%. That's not great, but there are other counties in Ohio that are worse.
I understand your point. Ohio is hurting right now. I'm not naive enough to deny that.

Quote:
Youngstown doesn't seem much different from many other parts of Ohio right now.
It may not seem like it, but it is. That's all that I'm saying.
Your chart only proves my point.

Unemployment rates
Mahoning County-12.7
Cuyahoga County-8.6
Franklin County-7.8
Hamilton County-8.2

4 percent worse than the three other big counties in Ohio.

Oh, and take a quick look at Cali. Highest rates in the country are on the west coast.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:43 PM

2,664 posts, read 3,769,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Homes: Most affordable in 2 decades - Yahoo! Real Estate

IMO, Youngstown shouldn't even be on that list. Of course home prices are low, but it lacks the the one thing all the other cities on the list have: jobs.

When people from other areas ask if Ohio is really bad as people make it out to be, I always answer no. But Youngstown is. Unless you're in the mafia, Youngstown probably isn't for you.

p.s. Before anyone gets too angry about my Youngstown comments...I'm referring to the CITY of Youngstown, not the suburbs. Yes, I realize Y-town has great suburbs, so does every other Ohio city. Also, that last part about the mafia was a joke. Lighten up!
Well, the article was about metro areas, dumbass.

If you have to write "lighten up" before anyone even responds to your "joke," then your "joke" probably sucks. Tell me I'm not just sensitive because my family's from Warren -- doesn't anyone else find the millionth rehashing of "Youngstown's a crime-ridden, corrupt ****hole" comments a little tired and dull?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,706,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

If you have to write "lighten up" before anyone even responds to your "joke," then your "joke" probably sucks. Tell me I'm not just sensitive because my family's from Warren -- doesn't anyone else find the millionth rehashing of "Youngstown's a crime-ridden, corrupt ****hole" comments a little tired and dull?
I'm very optimistic for the future of the Mahoning Valley. I think the Mayor of Youngstown is on the right track with his growth strategy. At least a number of leaders in that part of the state understand what's happening and are being proactive about the situation. I still don't see that from Cleveland's leadership.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
You're right.
Quote:
If you have to write "lighten up" before anyone even responds to your "joke," then your "joke" probably sucks.
No, it means I know people with opposing beliefs or no sense of humor will react irrationally.
Quote:
Tell me I'm not just sensitive because my family's from Warren -- doesn't anyone else find the millionth rehashing of "Youngstown's a crime-ridden, corrupt ****hole" comments a little tired and dull?
You don't sound sensitive. You sound bitter.

Don't let the words of a dumbass bother you. As Clevelander17 pointed out, your city has a lot going for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton