Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I don't know the exact amount of taxes, but I'd guess that they are pretty steep. You can go to Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information and put in the exact address of a property and get the selling price as well as the yearly taxes. To give you a ball-park estimate; our house in Wayne County, Ohio is zestimated at $248,000. Our taxes are almost $4,000 per year. If the house is $800,000, you can probably triple that. Ohio property tax is not cheap (as you probably know). Good points. People have to really watch generalizations that are made on these forums and convert things to dollars and cents. Take care.
Thanks for the website link. Very useful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM

35 posts, read 195,542 times
Default Orrville Ohio, Home of Smuckers jelly

Greetings everyone!

I know you're out there. Former Orrvillians who have left and now you want out the rat race. You think back to the good, simpler times you experienced here in Amish country. You miss the small hometown feel, the fall leaves, the farms, the countryside and the clip clop of Amish buggies. Well, come on back home to Orrville.

We are in the midst of a revitalization. Orrville is one of a handful of towns across Ohio that are part of the Ohio Main Street program. We have received grants to revitalize our downtown and improvements are evident everywhere. Our downtown is becoming quite quaint these days. If you are looking to open up a little store, come on back and open one downtown. We have plenty of industry and our own electric company too!

Contrary to some statistics you might come across, Orrville is virtually crime free. It is a very safe town. I am prone to take walks in the middle of the night and have never been accosted in any way. I don't know where they got their statistics from because I'm sure if any serious crime happened it would be the talk of the town. There are no such thing as home invasions here, no carjackings and no murder. I feel completely safe here in Orrville.

We have a beautiful park with a creek running through it that holds concerts in the summer and abound with ballfields. We have great schools, in fact they just built a new school. There is a boys and girls club that caters the youth. Your kids can even go there while they wait for you to get off work. This is a wonderful place to raise children.

You are just 20 minutes away from all the shopping in Wooster and close to Canton, Cleveland and Akron. Orrville is not a mecca for shopping but they like to keep it that way. I can sit on my front porch and watch Amish buggies clipclopping down the street. They come in to go to our grocery stores. A very short drive takes you right into the heart of Amish country and its breathtakingly beautiful.

Nearby Kidron is a mecca for the Amish and there you have Lehmans, the largest old fashioned hardware store in the world. They have been selling hard to get non electric items since the 50s. They started out catering to the Amish's needs. Refer to Lehmans.com to see what I'm talking about.

Kidron also has weekly livestock auctions and an outdoor flea market where Amish and "Englishers" mingle. All around the area you can get locally made Swiss cheese and bulk food stores abound. One of the simplest pleasures around here is to take a country drive and get lost in Amish country. Marvel at the beauty of the well kept farms, see beautiful draft horses and dairy cows in the pasture. You'll see the Amish working teams of horses in the field. Okay now your turn fellow Orrville residents, help me explain why living in here is so great!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,204 times
Being 68 now and having been born and raised (until 19) in Andover, Ohio I can attest to it being a great place to raise kids. My Grandkids (2 boys & 2 girls) live in Indianapolis (city kids) and my Great neices & nephews (3 boys & 4 girls) live in Andover. I'm naturally partial to my Grandkids, but, I can see a world of difference between the two groups. The Andover kids are more rounded and down to earth. All the parents are college graduates and the kids appear to me to be educated equally. I believe that it's the country that breeds the finer work ethic and realistic expectations. Don't look for work in Andover, it's nonexistant. And the lake effect snow does reach Andover.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 PM

28 posts, read 82,505 times
To the person who posted pics of dwntown canton... those are really pretty!! Although just to prepare them we really should post some pictures from like february and march when the snow has turned to grey slush and the sun hasn't been seen in 2 months! : )
That being said, don't be too scared off! My husband saw Ohio for the first time in the middle of March and fell in love. He said the people make up for what lacks in the sky (i think he was refering to the sunny nature, but he can be a bit esoteric)
Good Luck!!! And when you do decide, give us all an update and let us know what you decided!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM

9 posts, read 19,169 times
I just "scanned" through this thread but I had to post. My husband and I and our 3 kids just moved from Phx to Kinsman 7 weeks ago. I've been in AZ over 30 years. We absolutely LOVE IT here. We keep scratching our heads about why we stayed in the heat so long. We talked about it for years.

This is what I say.....GO FOR IT!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
So glad you were happy with your move. I just drove up to Kinsman yesterday! lol If you need any help or have questions just let me know. My boyfriend's dad is from Kinsman and obviously i'm not too far away in Cortland.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 12,340 times
I TOTALLY recommend Wooster, and actually just wrote a blog post about why - low crime, rural community, great college and schools system, etc. Check it out on my blog - http://forrentwooster.com/for-rent-w...unty-community

Old 02-02-2021, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 10,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovymommy View Post
I understand, I just really respect them for their values, morals, hard work etc and I know I ( and the kids) could learn alot about being better people and man is it gorgeous through Holmes County

There's another side to these communities that you may not have experienced in tourist mode. Those of us who have spent many years living near the Amish communities know the communities for the rape, incest and animal abuse that is so prevalent there and the unflinching practice of exiling those who dare to seek justice for such crimes. Bringing matters to the English police is considered worse than rape, incest and animal abuse combined. Seriously.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:53 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have not read all the posts, but we lived in Seville/Westfield Center area, in Medina County, for 20 years..Cloverleaf school district, and it was a great place to raise children.

The next counties to the south are Wayne and Holmes, which are heavily Amish. Does your local Walmart or bank have hitching posts for buggies? It’s a nice mix of country and city.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:56 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetness View Post
I TOTALLY recommend Wooster, and actually just wrote a blog post about why - low crime, rural community, great college and schools system, etc. Check it out on my blog - http://forrentwooster.com/for-rent-w...unty-community
Yes, and The College of Wooster is very highly regarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton