U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 15,992 times

Advertisements

Hi all

i want to thank u all for the wonderful info on massillon
i am buing an existing convenience store in perry township
on lincoln way east
my qyestion is how safe is this area
i have visited the area twice and spent some time
there

the store closes at 9 pm
thanks for any info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 PM

1,860 posts, read 4,575,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emk459 View Post
Hi all

i want to thank u all for the wonderful info on massillon
i am buing an existing convenience store in perry township
on lincoln way east
my qyestion is how safe is this area
i have visited the area twice and spent some time
there

the store closes at 9 pm
thanks for any info
I hope that you are either A) getting a steal on this property/business or B) have so much money you don't know what to do with and this purchase is just a drop in the bucket if you have only visited the area twice and are looking to an internet forum for answers on safety/crime in the area - just doesn't seem like a very wise business move to me given your lack of research.

That said, most of Lincoln Way East in Perry Twp. I would say is fairly safe, it's not the best, but by no means is it the worst either in the Canton-Massillon area.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Default Perry

Thanks Buckeye.

I live in downtown cleveland and there is a certainty here that in the cle area the store will be robbed.

Unfortunately, there is no crime watch web site for the massillon area. Called perry police and they did not have anything out of the ordinary to tell me.

A lot of jobs have been lost there but that is probaly true for any area in NE Ohio. I noticed that in Massillon has some companies that have military contracts to service machine parts etc.

In any case, thanks for your response

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM

5,017 posts, read 8,097,254 times
I haven't lived in Perry for many years. But I grew up in that general area. Most of my immediate family lived between 27th St./Jackson Ave. and Perry Drive until I was about 18. I think it was safe then, but don't know if it changed in the last 10-15 years.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks JR.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 PM

64 posts, read 11,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
I lived in Canton in the mid-1960s to 1980. It was a great town to grow up in. Sometimes I think about the stores and places in Canton that are gone, or going away. I thought I'd start a new thread about those places, and maybe long-time Canton citizens could add to it.

Clarkin’s on Rt 62 and Harmont. That place had everything, groceries, clothes, sporting goods, furniture, dry cleaning, pharmacy, and hardware at reasonable prices. It was a Walmart type store before Walmart went in business. They even had a snack shop that my dad and I used to have soft drinks at while mom did the grocery shopping.

The News Depot downtown on Market. They had just about every comic book and magazine that a young kid would want.

The Mellet Mall. I remembered when they opened in the mid-1960s, they had a great Orange Julius there.

There also was a used book store, I believe on McKinley and 6th. Great place to buy used books. I remember they had a closed off area for adult magazines. They were raided several times in the 1960s.

Anyone else have older memories of Canton, please chime in. It could be fun.

I remember great things about Canton. I grew up there 1947-1960...... then we moved out to Canton Township.

I actually helped to open the Clarkins store you are speaking about.......great fun- worked in Housewares and then in Sporting Goods.

I loved Mellet Mall at Christmas also, it was always so festive!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 AM

714 posts, read 2,652,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrainroosty View Post
I remember great things about Canton. I grew up there 1947-1960...... then we moved out to Canton Township.

I actually helped to open the Clarkins store you are speaking about.......great fun- worked in Housewares and then in Sporting Goods.

I loved Mellet Mall at Christmas also, it was always so festive!
I can't remember the year Clarkins opened. I think we started shopping there in 1963 or 1964, when I was about 8. My dad and I would go to the snack bar, drink a Coke and eat french fries while my mom would buy groceries. It was a great store, there was a furniture department, dry-cleaners, pets, etc. I remember that they had a conveyor belt at the check out line for the grocery department. They would place your grocery sacks in a numbered plastic bin, then you would go to your car, drive it to where the conveyour belt went outside, and pick up your groceries. I think they got rid of that system around 1970.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,605 times
Default old canton

Hey there I used to work in canton at a place called Circle C drive Inn for a Victor orashan. I am looking for pictures of the Circle C in 1968 t0 1970 Do you have any or know how I might get some. I am a writer and publishing my memiors. I would like to include pictures in book. Any help would be so much appeciated. You can contact me via this posting service or at my email [EMAIL="home4many@yahoo.com"]home4many@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Thank you
Gloria

Old 12-29-2009, 06:38 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,621,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria Hallatt View Post
Hey there I used to work in canton at a place called Circle C drive Inn for a Victor orashan. I am looking for pictures of the Circle C in 1968 t0 1970 Do you have any or know how I might get some. I am a writer and publishing my memiors. I would like to include pictures in book. Any help would be so much appeciated. You can contact me via this posting service or at my email home4many@yahoo.com

Thank you
Gloria
Canton Repository photo morgue would be my first and best guess.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 14,570 times
Default I remember them all

I was born in Canton and was a teenager in the fifties. Canton was a great place to grow up in then. There was plenty to do downtown. There were 6 movie theaters down town. " The Palace"," The Lowes", and" The Ohio" all on North Market and played the First Run "A" movies plus" The Mosart" on E. Tuesc and "the Strand" and" the Valintine" these played the "B" movies
of that period and a lot of Cowboy Movies.
Remember "the Manhattan Diner" on Market and 4th South? Or howabout "The Hambuger Inn" Off of Market accross from the Train Station? There you got 15 cent hamburgers served on a sheet of wax paper
at the counter. They also had a great Butterscotch Pie. There was so many nice but cheap places for teens could go to eat.
I grew up on Young and 2d st SE in a low middleclass area. But it was clean and nice then. Anyone remember the Tall Silver Smoke Stack that was on 2d st SE were it dead ended with the railroad tracks? You could see it from all over the South side. I saw it every day on the school yard of Martin School. It's gone now but I would love to have a picture of that old stack.
I left for the army in 1960 because even back then jobs were gettin hard to get but we go back about twic a year as my sister still lives in the area.
My wife thinks i'm crazy because I'll always take a ride down to the old
area which I grew up in hoping that it had improved but it never will and that's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton