U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 PM

65 posts, read 144,340 times

Advertisements

Just read thru all these pages. Didn't notice anyone mention Stark's Dept Store, or Fisher's across the street on E. Tusc. Also the Dime Savings Bank - that was my parents bank.
I remember Stark's had a hobby dept. Don't remember any other dept stores having one. Spent a lot of time up there looking at stamps. They had nicely decorated windows too at Christmas.

I bought my mother a Stern & Mann hankie they had made for the sesquicentennial in 1955. Pictures of different Canton buildings. They put it all fluffed up in a S&M box with S&M tissue paper all around. Everything in their signature white & purple. Found it still in the box when she died. Somewhere I think I still have some wooden nickles made for the sesquicentennial.

Also on E. Tusc just off the square on the south side was a store that sold pottery from some of the pottery mfg in Ohio. Used to love to poke around in there.

Last edited by Kentstate57; 04-16-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,225 times
T

Old 12-28-2013, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,870 times
Default Mellett Mall and Don Mellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan7 View Post
i don't believe mellett mall was named after don mellett. i believe it is a different family entirely?
I would like to correct this thread even though it is a little old.

Former Mellett Mall was in fact named after legendary Canton Daily News editor Don Mellett, who dared to confront organized crime through investigative reporting that specifically named various figures in the local crime families. (Canton, Ohio was refereed to as little Chicago in the 1920's)

Long story short, Mr. Mellett was assassinated in his home in the middle of the night on July 16, 1926 just blocks from what would decades later become the mall. A few years later an outside criminal investigation determined the Canton Police chief along with 3 others were involved and charged each of them with murder and were sentenced to a life in prison.

Most people do not know the back story as to how the mall ended up with the name "Mellett Mall". The name was adopted from the "Mellett Housing Project", which was directly named in honor of Don Mellett.

The project consisted of a series of temporary quonset hut styled barracks, built to house employees of the Westinghouse Naval Ordnance factory located several blocks to the south during WWII. The housing project was located on the same property that the mall was later built on.

Years after the war the residents of these houses (everyday people) pooled their resources and collectively purchased the properties with the intention of building a 300,000 sq ft mall on the former location of the housing project.

They decided to name it "Mellett Mall" also in honor of Don, as well as a reminder of the gamble that these everyday people, brought together by the Mellett Housing Project, took. They risked everything they had on a dream. And they won.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,708 times
Default Canton

I lived in Canton till I was 61 and reading all this brought back a lot of memories. I did not see a mention of Moonlight Ballroom or the amusement park where I know we all spent our time. Myers Lake Park which had the big rocket ride that went out over the water. I was lucky to see Guy Lombardo on News Years Eve in the Ballroom. We had our prom their as well. A lot of entertainers came to Canton. I remember Friscat's store on Market across from St Mary's where I went to school. We moved to the Canton Sputh area and had fun at the Rocket Club. We would jump on the bus and go uptown where the McKinley guys,would wait for the bus to stop in front of the five and ten cent stores,just to flirt with the "country" girls. Lot of dances in town on Friday night. The first Hall Of Fame parade and it still goes on. My mother told me stories of how one year she was in town watching a movie and when she came out a tornado had went through town. Memories are all we have of those sweet days and they will forever be in our hearts as we pass them on to our kids and their kids. I still go back to Mckinley's monument and climb to the top and when I do I see a young girl sitting in the grass below with her friends saying goodbye to her elementary class,all saying we will meet back here when we are eighteen...but we never did

Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
I wonder too and found this........

[URL="http://www.cantonmercy.com/mercyweb.php?pg=history.htm"]:::::: Mercy Medical Center ::::::[/URL]

It is because The Sister's of Charity own it . It is no longer a public interest being held by The Timken brothers.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,667 times
Hi, I live in Tennessee now, but I love going back to Canton. Does anybody remember Meyers Lake Amusement park? Remember that big laughing lady?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 13,153 times
Check out Google, Mother Goose Land is being rebuilt and will open soon....

Old 12-28-2014, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,382 times
Default meyers lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevlu View Post
Hi, I live in Tennessee now, but I love going back to Canton. Does anybody remember Meyers Lake Amusement park? Remember that big laughing lady?
I remember the "fat lady" laughing and rocking back and forth. she always freaked me out. I, also, remember kissing a boy when riding through the "laugh in the dark".

Old 04-25-2015, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,951 times
Where was the Windsor Theater ? I can't remember.... Runs in my mind --- Chrystal Park Area.....

Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 PM

13 posts, read 23,846 times
since we're back up in Ohio after getting "baked" in Texas,

these posts actually bring a happy tear to my eye.

what great places Canton has had!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton