Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM

23 posts, read 74,371 times

Advertisements

Hello cool Cats and Kittens. Hip 'Hoods in Canton/Massillon area populated by twenty and thirty somethings? Please advise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:52 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modman View Post
Hello cool Cats and Kittens. Hip 'Hoods in Canton/Massillon area populated by twenty and thirty somethings? Please advise...
Don't know that such a thing exists in either area! If it does, I never knew about it while I lived there!

Maybe, and this is a stretch, but Market Heights area of Canton could be considered somewhat of a 20/30-something neighborhood as a lot of young couples seemed to live in this area. North Canton seems to also be a popular choice of younger people. But at the same time, there are going to be older people intermixed in those areas.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
I don't know if such a neighborhood exists, either. But, contact the creator of this website: Artist Bili Kribbs . I went to high school with this guy, and he is much more in touch with the artsy scene in Massillon and Canton than I am. (even though he currently lives in Akron, he has a studio/storefront in downtown Massillon) If he can't help you, I'm sure he could put you in touch with someone who can.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:29 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
This is a joke, right?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is a joke, right?
What are you talking about?

If I move back to the Canton/Massillon area, I'd like to live in such a neighborhood.

I just went to the Canton First Friday web page: First Friday Home (http://cantonfirstfriday.com/default.aspx - broken link)
and found a couple other links the OP might be interested in:
Canton Arts District and More (http://www.artsinstark.com/WhosWhoinLocalArt.aspx - broken link)
Galleries & Art (http://cantonfirstfriday.com/galleries.aspx - broken link)

Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
What are you talking about?

If I move back to the Canton/Massillon area, I'd like to live in such a neighborhood.

I just went to the Canton First Friday web page: First Friday Home (http://cantonfirstfriday.com/default.aspx - broken link)
and found a couple other links the OP might be interested in:
Canton Arts District and More (http://www.artsinstark.com/WhosWhoinLocalArt.aspx - broken link)
Galleries & Art (http://cantonfirstfriday.com/galleries.aspx - broken link)
I'll interpret his sarcastic response... there isn't a hip, artsy neighborhood in Stark County - and I say that with a heavy heart.

Usually the impetus for those sorts of neighborhoods, particularly in smaller cities, is a large university that attracts young adults. Stark County doesn't have one - there are a couple suburban 2 year schools and a handful of small private schools, with no particular concentration of students in any one place - at least not to the magnitude to kick start a neighborhood like that.

Of course you also have other people who play a role in those types of neighborhoods, not just university students.

Highland Square in Akron or perhaps Kent (by nature of it being a college town) would be the closest "artsy, hip" neighborhoods to Canton.

But as was posted above there are art events, artists, etc. in Canton and Massillon. There just isn't a concentration in a particular neighborhood.

A quick bit of history: Canton actually had the opportunity back in the 50s to get its own municipal University off the ground (like U of A used to be) and was voted down by the voters b/c they didn't want to pay taxes on it.

2: Stark State originated downtown before packing up and moving to Belden Village.

A Double-retrospective-D'Oh! for the city of Canton.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 AM

72 posts, read 287,449 times
I have to agree a bit on all points previously made, and don't get me wrong I love Canton. It is true, we do not have a concentrated area of artsy youth... we do have some pockets though each with their ups and downs.

As mentioned, Market Heights is very nice. I would not call it hip or artsy, but nice... almost Suburban but with some great old homes.

There is the area around Historic Ridgewood that I call Fringewood. Located between Market Ave and Cleveland Ave just south of 19th street. I think that particular are feels young but decent at the same time. The further south you go the rougher it gets.

The West Park neighborhood is a possible option, it's closer to downtown located along the large stadium park. It has some really nice old homes and abundant large trees cover the streets. It does get rough around the edges as a negative.

The Summit Neighborhood is a tad artsier as well as a bit rougher. It's located along Fulton Rd in NW Canton and runs downtown. The downtown area is very very rough, above 12th street starts to get better. Some perks of the area are, Taggarts and Plant Et Art. It's also close to downtown Canton and has a lot of nice older homes.

This is not a neighborhood, but I think it's a great option. Greentree apartments on Market Ave N and 19th street. It's an early 19th century Tutor building with a moslty youthfull tenant population. The apartments are spacious and the rent is reasonable, the landlord is a good guy and keeps the property up. I lived there for 3 years and really enjoyed it. They have a good website with pictures as too Moderator cut: No advertising/ no commercial links .
Downtown has a few options, Studio 6 on 4th street has live/work artist apartments owned by King properties. Joe's bar on 6th street has apartments above, the bar usually attracts 20-30 year old hipsters. It's a nice bar.... but the area is well... rough. Cleveland Ave S. downtown has some neat old victorian homes and a great apartment building called the Frances. The Onesto High rise is being converted to condos but will not be completed for a few years.

Massillon has the Historic 4th street area with some great old homes near downtown.

Perry township has Harter Heights, not hip really but still a great place to live.

Last edited by vec101; 09-21-2009 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: No advertising or commercial links

Old 09-14-2009, 02:53 PM

23 posts, read 74,371 times
Hello all. Belated greetings and thanks! Great responses-love the specific, neighborhood references-a big help.
Keep your thoughts flowing so the hipster community will keep growing...(watch out "Cleveburg")!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,043 times
I realize this message is coming much later than the original post but in case anyone is still looking-- I myself have done some tremendous apartment research since I moved to Canton from out of state. I also enjoy a more "artsy" or "vintage" living style myself.

As previously noted-- The Greentree Apartments on Market Ave in Canton are fantastic! I as well have had the pleasure of being a tenant. They are huge, beautiful apartments--and they are each unique from eachother. Google Greentree Apartments and you will find the website. The landlord is fantastic!

Also, next door for a more economically friendly option are the Bayldon Manor apartments--also very
old (roaring 20's) and very cool-- I also had the pleasure of living there!

A place I have been trying to go check out which was previously mentioned--is the old Frances Apartment building on Cleveland Ave S downtown. If anyone knows who I could contact to see the apartments please let me know! That would be great, thanks!

Also, I am in anxious anticipation to see if anything actually comes of the Onesto Building downtown--it seems like a fantastic project and would really be amazing for downtown. That is definetly on my list as well!

Another fun apartment area is Vicary Hill on Market Ave. Its a beautiful area with tons of land and is also on a golf course.

Hope this helps! Ciao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton