Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 PM

23 posts, read 74,381 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Seeking night life-(dance clubs, bars/taverns)-recommendations within the Canton/Masillon/North Canton area for a straight, professional male, age 30.
People describe me as as hip, artsy and fun seeking like-minded crowd. Any recommendations? (Please do not include Akron or Cleveland places).
Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 01:28 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modman View Post
Hello all. Seeking night life-(dance clubs, bars/taverns)-recommendations within the Canton/Masillon/North Canton area for a straight, professional male, age 30.
People describe me as as hip, artsy and fun seeking like-minded crowd. Any recommendations? (Please do not include Akron or Cleveland places).
Thanks for your opinions!
"Hip" and "artsy" is about the last thing that comes to mind when I think of Canton. I have a feeling that you will be making trips north on I-77 for your nightlife needs.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:21 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
You were the same guy who asked about an artsy neighborhood. Did you find an interesting place?

I was going to link to that thread because I thought the links might work for this too, when I saw that you started that thread.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:33 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think the bar at Carabba's on 77 is pretty cozy, and when my DH travels alone he likes to sit at the pasta bar at Carabbas and schmooze with the chefs, so you also might find other singles doing that.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Thanks for your opinions. Agreed. I may have to venture north to Cleveburg. Also, I have found a place and appreciate everyone's help and information. Stay tuned...

Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 13,948 times
to find anything interesting to do---you have to LEAVE OHIO... it sucks here--it is an uneducated pool of morons with nothing but dramaqueens and kings...they do not care about the quality of your work just the kiss butt factor. Dumb ppl doing jobs they are totally unqualified for which will continue to ruin the economy here. I asked a college graduate who was looking for work to write me a letter of intent and describe their qualifiactions. and she asked -what is an intent letter? then I got the letter. and it looked like it was written by a 4th grader. plus, it had misspeeled words AND did not even have the form of a letter.
the only cool ppl I met are not from here.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:08 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracuseorange View Post
to find anything interesting to do---you have to LEAVE OHIO... it sucks here--it is an uneducated pool of morons with nothing but dramaqueens and kings...they do not care about the quality of your work just the kiss butt factor. Dumb ppl doing jobs they are totally unqualified for which will continue to ruin the economy here. I asked a college graduate who was looking for work to write me a letter of intent and describe their qualifiactions. and she asked -what is an intent letter? then I got the letter. and it looked like it was written by a 4th grader. plus, it had misspeeled words AND did not even have the form of a letter.
the only cool ppl I met are not from here.
It's like this forum attracts bitter people like a magnet.

That is such a huge generalization I'm not even going into it.

And as your name is syracuseorange, I feel the need to point out how amazingly similar upstate NY and the Midwest are.

As far as Canton nightlife goes, yeah, there's not much. Canton lacks a major University and is relatively small so that puts a dent in the action.

If I recall correctly there's a club or two in Belden Village; then of course you've got a half decent strip club or two (cough Diamond Royale), and there are some good restaurants/bars that have cropped up amongst the downtown Canton mini-renaissance. It really depends on what kind of "night life" you're looking for, but as was mentioned before the farther up I-77 you go the more options you have.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,220 times
Munson's Home Plate is a good time on the weekends. It gets a little packed around 10 or so, so get there a bit early and find a seat at the bar. Plenty of good looking women around your age.

If that's not your cup of tea, go early or on any other night. It's a great place to watch a game and has a nice pub feeling to it. Food there is excellent. And your not supporting large corporations by going to chains. It's locally owned by Thurman Munson's son, Mike.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the information everyone. I also heard about a place called 7 Martini Lounge-is that also a dance club? My musical tastes are A to Z. Such as swing dancing to Progressive-Glen Miller to Front 242/Headhunter.

Does anyone have an opinion on what 20/30 somethings favor music-wise who are natives of the Canton area? I like techno/trance/general elektronica but I realize the old-school implications. Please advise...

Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
I doubt that many people you come across in Canton will have progressive taste in music, at least with those you will find out at the bars. Most bars will play top 40/hip-hop or Classic rock, with a few playing country.

You will probably have a hard time finding a place that plays pure electronica in the area unless you go to a gay bar or head to Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

I know you are strictly asking about Canton, but you should check out Thursday's Lounge in Akron. It is actually one of my favorite bars anywhere and they play a mix of progressive/new wave/alternative rock/80s/indie/electronic. It is next to the university, but it is not strictly a college bar and will have an eclectic crowd. It is more of a dive than a dance club, but it does have a dance floor area and it gets a busy crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton