Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 11,346 times

Advertisements

I need some advice, my family (husband and soon to be 3 kids) are considering moving to the AKron/Canton area. We are living in FL now, but are far from family and friends and want better schools for the kids. Please give and advice or opinions on moving to this area. We are also considering No. VA since we have previously lived there. Any areas or neighborhoods, school districts to look at or stay away from would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:57 AM

436 posts, read 1,647,153 times
Since you have kids and require a decent school district, I would say don't actually stay in the cities of Akron or Canton - try the outlying/neighboring cities such as Fairlawn, Cuyahoga Falls or Green. Mind you, homes will cost more in these areas, however.
I don't have any children but I do know that those are safe areas and the school districts are pretty good. Maybe one of the other posters can elaborate....

Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 PM

88 posts, read 371,878 times
CityGrrl77 got it mostly right...I'd avoid a 2-3mi radius inside each Akron or Canton. In my mind, smaller is better when it comes to schools...At the furthest reaches of your search to the West look at Medina area. Also, the perimeter around North Canton.
Good Luck...hope you have work lined up!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 AM

13 posts, read 70,898 times
We just moved to Ohio about 18 months ago from South Florida and chose Hudson. Great schools, nice people, can easily commute to Akron and Cleveland. It is upscale (for Ohio), a great historic area, and a lot of executives who move to the area have chosen it.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM

6 posts, read 11,346 times
Thanks everyone.
Toddfla, just curious what made you leave S. FL to go to Ohio? Just wondering cause we are having a hard time deciding what to do and where to go. Third baby arriving any day now, so really need a bigger house. I work in a hospital so Im hoping I will be able to find a job Just need to make the decision. Want to make the best choice for the kids. Thanks for the suggestion I will look at Hudson.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,987 times
My husband has just applied for a job with a corp that is headquartered in Akron. We have elementary school children, so we need a good school district. We also love horses, so we want to live in a rural/semi-rural area. Any suggestions?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM

436 posts, read 1,647,153 times
Mmmm....try Tallmadge - if you want to be within a 15 minute drive of downtown Akron.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:35 PM

7 posts, read 24,287 times
lived in NE Ohio. Miserable area, miserable weather, miserable people. Your walking down the street in downtown passing people and you make eye contact and nod your head and they just look at you with a stupid look on their face like - what the f are you looking at. If it's not raining, it's cloudy enough to look like it's going to at any time. Blue sky days are rare. There's nothing left to the economy there. Depressing. Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me. Hudson is full of fake people all trying to one up the other.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanati View Post
lived in NE Ohio. Miserable area, miserable weather, miserable people. Your walking down the street in downtown passing people and you make eye contact and nod your head and they just look at you with a stupid look on their face like - what the f are you looking at. If it's not raining, it's cloudy enough to look like it's going to at any time. Blue sky days are rare. There's nothing left to the economy there. Depressing. Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me. Hudson is full of fake people all trying to one up the other.
Lemons for breakfast anyone?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
Akron does have its downfalls but I have never noticed any rudeness from strangers unless I was directly in the projects where it is dog eat dog. I feel Akron area people are way nicer than other places Ive lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton