U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 PM

10 posts, read 18,063 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, so my wife and I will be moving into the area late spring for a new job I have starting up located in Massillon. Late 20's couple, no kids but trying , both of us are professionals and we'll have a pretty solid income. We're from the MD/VA area originally and much prefer small cites, small towns and spaced out suburbs to the big city, crazy traffic, crowded suburbs and dirty urban life we're both used to and sick of.

We plan to live in the area for at least 5 years so buying our first home is the goal. We plan to keep the house even if we move after 5 years in order to start building our real estate portfolio so allowing for neighborhood development is

The question is simple, what's the best place to buy a single family home (3 BR, 2bath) for around $150,000 that is no more than 30 minutes from Massillon? Going for a 15 year mortgage so thats the reason for the low price limit. Would consider "The Perfect Townhouse" but really prefer to have a SFH. Nothing built before the late 80's, at least 1300-1400 square feet. Either a town, or even better a specific neighborhood or subdivision with reasons why. I'll add that I will have to commute to Cleveland about once a week, but 90% of work will be in Massillon. Or if you prefer to comment on the following areas that I've read about while scouring this forum instead thats cool too. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!!

1) North Canton
2) Massillon - Don't know which areas are most desirable, other than to avoid the SW area.
3) Best Akron suburbs south of the city center
4) Canal Fulton and all other small towns NW of Massillon
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 AM

4,470 posts, read 6,487,182 times
I think North Canton is a nice little town. I travelled there fairly often for a period of time as a kid. I remember it being a somewhat long drive, but I think it was still under 30 minutes.

IMO, the SW side of Massillon is OK. The SE side is the side I always assiciate with typical city problems. (housing projects, for example)

I don't know where the new development is in Massillon, but the far NW and SW sides have historically been the least developed. So, you're more likely to find newer, more suburban style homes in those areas.

Other than that, you could look in Perry Heights (east of Massillon), Jackson (north of Massillon), etc. I'm not sure if you'll find the kind of home you're looking for in your price range, though.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,047,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelPlant View Post
Hi everyone, so my wife and I will be moving into the area late spring for a new job I have starting up located in Massillon. Late 20's couple, no kids but trying , both of us are professionals and we'll have a pretty solid income. We're from the MD/VA area originally and much prefer small cites, small towns and spaced out suburbs to the big city, crazy traffic, crowded suburbs and dirty urban life we're both used to and sick of.

We plan to live in the area for at least 5 years so buying our first home is the goal. We plan to keep the house even if we move after 5 years in order to start building our real estate portfolio so allowing for neighborhood development is

The question is simple, what's the best place to buy a single family home (3 BR, 2bath) for around $150,000 that is no more than 30 minutes from Massillon? Going for a 15 year mortgage so thats the reason for the low price limit. Would consider "The Perfect Townhouse" but really prefer to have a SFH. Nothing built before the late 80's, at least 1300-1400 square feet. Either a town, or even better a specific neighborhood or subdivision with reasons why. I'll add that I will have to commute to Cleveland about once a week, but 90% of work will be in Massillon. Or if you prefer to comment on the following areas that I've read about while scouring this forum instead thats cool too. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!!

1) North Canton
2) Massillon - Don't know which areas are most desirable, other than to avoid the SW area.
3) Best Akron suburbs south of the city center
4) Canal Fulton and all other small towns NW of Massillon
Canal Fulton is a nice little town with a couple of 'newer' neighborhoods that you could probably find either a house or a townhouse in meeting your requirements. Only issue there is the school system (Northwest) is in dire straits. There are also some newer developments southeast of Massillon near US-30 & OH-627 that you might want to look into as well.

North Canton is nice, however, it is going to be 20-30 minutes depending on traffic and where you are in the city to get to your job in Massillon. There are some options there though if you don't mind the commute.

You could consider Wadsworth southwest of Akron, although again you are going to be pushing 1/2 hour for your commute. I know there are some newer developments right off of I-76 @OH-94 (think it's exit 9?), that would make your commute easy as you'd just hop on 76 to 21 south into Massillon (all 4-lane expressway or divided highway).

Jackson Twp. is fine too, however, I don't know a lot of areas that have the type of property you are looking for as most of the home building there the past couple of decades has been 'mcmansions.'

Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,998 times
Default Places to live

Canal Fulton is a great small city. They have many neighborhhods that you will love! The town has a great mixture of the old time charm and modern amenities! They have some great parks and historical sites as well. Plus if you like to eat out, there are some very good restaraunts there, and a bunch of bigger chain restaraunts within 15-20 mins. If you go, be sure to stop at Oser's, one of the coolest "old time" ice cream parlors with some of the best Ice cream you'll ever have!

If you like the ritzy status then try Jackson Twp. it is in betweek Canal Fulton and Massillon/Canton. Just be prepaired to pay a higher property tax, especially from the school levys. Why any high school needs a Starbucks is beyond me!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 18,063 times
Default Details on Massillon?

Thanks for all the advice. Well, it has been finalized that we are moving to the area and are planning to drive out in a couple of weeks to see the different areas before we purchase a home and move in June. Here are some conclusions I've drawn just from internet research, feel free to chime in with any comments or corrections. Still need to find a realtor(any suggestions?) and get the pre-approval though that shouldn't be a big problem.

I'm liking some of the developments around Canal Fulton, small town, newer construction, close to work in downtown Massillon. Only drawback from my perspective is the "remote" location when we decide to sell.

Probably going to avoid Canton. Traffic, older homes, dad's tattooing their babies, you name it.

North Canton seems to be the established, well to do area, now with this shopping center located there. Problem with that is the commute, I HATE traffic, probably one of the top reasons we're moving from D.C. Houses are older as well, not too bad but we want low maintenance without buying a condo so that means 1998 or newer in my book.

Jackson Township, we have no kids, and probably wont be living here for long enough that if we had kids tomorrow that they would ever get out of elementary school. Thus not much reason for paying the high taxes, other than I suppose leverage and marketability when we sell.

Massillon, really hard to judge via the internet. This is one area any of you locals could help as to specific neighborhoods or areas that are newer and desirable in Massillon.

Anyway, thanks again, looking forward to reading any new comments.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 PM

9,208 posts, read 10,912,322 times
Quote:

Problem with that is the commute, I HATE traffic, probably one of the top reasons we're moving from D.C.
Clevelander here just like to check out some of the other Ohio forums once in awhile. Read your post and I just had to comment on this having spent some time in DC.
I hate traffic, too. I have no clue how people justify living in cities like DC, Chicago, LA and other heavily congested cities like that. No amount of amenities is worth dealing with the congestion of those cities.
One thing you must understand is that even the WORST traffic day in Ohio is better then the best traffic day in DC. Compared to the cities I mentioned we don't have traffic.
In Cleveland, which is 3-4 times the size of the area you are looking at, I can get from one side of town, drive through the worst downtown traffic and make it to the east side suburbs in 30 minutes. "Rush hour" in Cleveland, if it is even really worthy of that moniker, lasts from about 7:45AM-8:15AM. At best.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM

15 posts, read 28,573 times
The thing about Massillon is, it's culture. If you drive a jacked-up truck, have a mullet, and your idea of a nice night out with the wife involves places like WalMart and tractor-pulls, Massillon will feel like 7th heaven.

Forget about schools - Massillon's public schools are some of the worst in Ohio, and IIRC, they were taken over by the state due to either bankruptcy, incompetence, or both.

You will probably be MUCH happier living somewhere outside of Massillon proper. I'd suggest Canal Fulton or Jackson Twp. RT-21 is where you want to look. Fast access to both Massillon and Akron/Cleveland. Massillon to Cleveland will take you 45-60min. All the traffic begins in the Akron area and goes north. Still it's NOTHING like what you're used to. Traffic in Stark county is non-existent because there are no jobs. Ohioans are generally slower, better, and more conscientious drivers than Southerners, so you'll like that. Bad thing is, in Ohio, there are only two seasons: Winter, and Construction. Pot holes everywhere, be careful. Most traffic problems are the result of accidents, not congestion. I lived in Ridgewood (Canton, near Malone College) and worked on the SW side of Massillon. My commute time was 10min.

Great time to buy a house there. Property is dirt cheap to begin with, and since the housing bust, you'll get fire-sale prices. Good luck ever having to have to sell though. Nobody wants to live in the US's 5th most miserable place. Forget about townhouses. No need for them in the area you're moving to. You'll have more than enough free standing homes to choose from.

Northeast Ohio is the "buckle" of the rust belt. Don't let yourself get stuck there!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 PM

15 posts, read 28,573 times
Quote:
I'm liking some of the developments around Canal Fulton, small town, newer construction, close to work in downtown Massillon. Only drawback from my perspective is the "remote" location when we decide to sell.

Probably going to avoid Canton. Traffic, older homes, dad's tattooing their babies, you name it.

North Canton seems to be the established, well to do area, now with this shopping center located there. Problem with that is the commute, I HATE traffic, probably one of the top reasons we're moving from D.C.
Canal Fulton is by no means "remote". It's become a very desirable area, and people are moving there in droves. It's the new Jackson Twp.

Canton has zero traffic. Dad's tattooing babies... you just described Massillon. Canton is far less "Appalachian" than Massillon is.

N.Canton is by no means "well-to-do". At least not by DC standards. It's very middle class. Drive time from N.Canton to Massillon will be 20min tops, and traffic will never be anything close to what you would consider heavy. I'm in Atlanta, and our traffic is worse than DC. "Rush Hour" in Canton-Massillon is lighter than traffic is here at 3am on a Sunday morning. Seriously, don't even concern yourself with traffic and commute times. It's a non-issue.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:02 AM

100 posts, read 187,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchopper View Post
The thing about Massillon is, it's culture. If you drive a jacked-up truck, have a mullet, and your idea of a nice night out with the wife involves places like WalMart and tractor-pulls, Massillon will feel like 7th heaven.

Great time to buy a house there. Property is dirt cheap to begin with, and since the housing bust, you'll get fire-sale prices. Good luck ever having to have to sell though. Nobody wants to live in the US's 5th most miserable place. Forget about townhouses. No need for them in the area you're moving to. You'll have more than enough free standing homes to choose from.

Northeast Ohio is the "buckle" of the rust belt. Don't let yourself get stuck there!
Why are you so mean spirited in every post? It doesn't seem like leaving Ohio made you less miserable.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,414 times
Canal Fulton is certainly not remote. However, beware - Canal Fulton (Northwest School District) has failed a school levy numerous times to the point that they had to cut extra-curricular activities and busing. One recently passed, but it seems to be a consistent problem. Something to consider since you are planning on having children. Primarily, it seems to be related to the older demographics in Canal Fulton. It is a wonderful area, however. That being said, for new developments you would best be served in Jackson, Green or North Canton. None are a heavy or long drive to Massillon at all. This will really not be any concern in this region unless you are driving to Cleveland. As to Porkchopper's point, I am a college Professor who lives in Massillon. However, I do not have children. It is certainly not the best district in Ohio but they have plenty of programs to provide children with a good education (my wife is an eighth grade teacher - not in Massillon however). There are some really great, newer neighborhoods in NE Massillon that eventually blend into Jackson. Best of luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton