Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have recently "retired", which sounds better than "unemployed" (we were in the construction business, and there is no work anymore) and we are looking into scaling down and moving to either Alabama or So. Carolina. He is originally from NC, I am originally from NY, and we have both been in the Atlanta area for almost 20 years. We are looking for a nice place to retire to, and a low cost of living is very important.

Here are some of my priorities...
I like a place that has a fair number of transplants so that we aren't the only "outsiders". Someplace that welcomes strangers and has activities or ways to meet new people. Hubby grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business, and he definitely doesn't want that again, but we don't want too big either.
I don't care about proximity to a large city (I never even go into Atlanta anymore) but I like a good size town with a nice "downtown" area (maybe 20,000 - 50,000 people)
Someplace pretty. I love the charming old New England towns that looked like something from a Norman Rockwell painting. I couldn't live in a run-down area.
Decent shopping. By that I mean good supermarkets, Lowes & Home Depot, Target, the type of shopping centers that would have a Barnes and Noble in them, etc.
A good rental market. I like to buy fixer-uppers and renovate them. If I can't sell them then I will have to rent them and I need a positive cash flow.

Some place where we could find a nice ranch, about 2,500 sf on 1/2 acre or more for less that $200,000. Condition isn't important as we both know how to fix just about anything. I wouldn't mind buying the worst house in the nicest neighborhood, but if the rest of the neighborhood was a mess I wouldn't want it.
Some of the areas on our list to research are Florence, Gunthersville, and Dothan. We would love to hear from anyone familiar with these areas, as well as anyone who has other suggestions.
The reason I asked for feedback from people from other states is because it is easy to love your hometown where all of your childhood memories are. It is a completely different perspective moving there as a stranger in a strange land from someplace else and having to adjust to your new surroundings.
We are going to start making some trips soon and I want to use our time and gas wisely.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:46 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Florence,Guntersville,and Dothan are all nice but I strongly recommend Fairhope( this city has a very vibrant downtown) ! Fairhope is worth checking out and visiting.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 PM

168 posts, read 518,371 times
Look into these communities:

Wetumpka
Albertville, Boaz, Guntersville
Sylacauga
Alexander City (Lake Martin area)
Mentone
Fort Payne

Old 06-28-2010, 05:23 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I recommend Guntersville or Fairhope. Guntersville is a great and you can get a older nice house on a large lot for less than $150. Gunatersville, Albertville and Boaz are kind of together. No Target but there is a Lowe's, Kmart and other stores. You are only 30 minutes from H'ville for a Target and B&N. Traffic is nothing like where I moved from in FL even at rush hour. Property taxes are very low as is HOI.

I love Fairhope but homes are more expensive especially in town. There is a lot of shopping available. It is a very quaint little town. HOI is more costly there if you live close to the bay.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times
Thanks for the responses so far. Actually, we visited Fairhope a few months ago and liked it very much but the houses we saw in the price range we wanted to stay in were not that appealing. We figured we should broaden our search and look at some other areas as well.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Check out valleymls for homes in the Guntersville area. There is a large retirement community in RSVP.. they have a lot of things going on.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
None of the towns you mentioned will have a Barnes & Noble, nor have large numbers of transplants, nor have burgeoning housing markets (especially Florence). Honestly, I think you'd be happier in South Carolina. More transplants (in certain areas), especially more from the North, closer to North Carolina, more retired people.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
We are native Georgians and have moved to the Huntsville area in the last 2 years. We intend to stay here when my husband retires in a few. We lived in metro ATL for 30 years and would not want to live there anymore. We like Huntsville. I personally think it meets all your requirements. And no traffic compared to what you have in Atlanta. We do pay taxes on food over here but otherwise utilities seem to be cheaper. I hated having to choose a gas provider. People seem to be friendly and it is small enough to get involved and do things. Yet large enough to have some decent shopping. It is very close to Chattanooga, and centrally located between Birmingham and Nashville. Good luck on your hunting!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,477 times
As one who has lived in a number of places including Dothan, Huntsville and Atlanta area, I would pick Huntsville over the others.

Fairhope? Not on a seacoast ever! I can visit the sea whenever I want, without having to pay for the extra 'cane insurance.

South Carolina has a fair number of retirees esp in Aiken, just across the river from Augusta.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 PM

31 posts, read 91,056 times
Meridianville, AL, it is just north of Huntsville. You can find a lot of land for cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama