U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:06 PM

3,226 posts, read 5,101,721 times

Advertisements

ttownfeen = "I didn't see anything incorrect in what she said".

Of course you didn't. Birds of a feather and such...

Catherine = "...I went into shock. You probably will too. But it's still the US..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM

288 posts, read 351,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
ttownfeen = "I didn't see anything incorrect in what she said".

Of course you didn't. Birds of a feather and such...

Catherine = "...I went into shock. You probably will too. But it's still the US..."
LOL...you all of people should value a little leeway when it comes to hyperbole.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:06 PM

753 posts, read 842,753 times
Quote:
Catherine - "so just be their catalyst, help them" condescension followed by "Alabamians see Californians as self absorbed" . Typical from a liberal who can't seem to understand that we don't necessarily want the type of "help" you're going to offer...
Some do.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:54 AM

1,652 posts, read 4,905,851 times
I go into shock and I'm from Alabama.

But, Tuscaloosa . . . I think most people either really like it, or really hate it. I tried to like it, but it just wasn't for me, so I transferred to another school out-of-state and I haven't looked back.

As far as the education you'll receive, it's great, depending on the major, for the money. Some of the colleges are great and some are not.

Socially, I think your success rides on how outgoing you are. The fraternities and sororities run the social life aspects (and the political) of the university. I think Greek life can be a great thing at the right school. There are some that won't just take anybody. Being well off kind of helps. Which, in your case, would be advisable because you're not from Alabama. If you decide to be independent, then having a good time is going to require more effort. More than anything, Alabama is a party school. Not necessarily a bad thing, however.

Football is king. Get yourself a houndstooth hat immediately! On my list of positive things about Alabama, which is quite small, houndstooth is probably number 1 or 2. The obsession with football is rather . . . sad.

For the most part everyone is rather conservative, but if you're coming from Orange County, that probably won't matter. Some are conservative and don't actually have a reason why they are except that their parents were and they're too stupid to think for themselves. You'll notice that type immediately rather quickly.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 AM

3,226 posts, read 5,101,721 times
More love from a leftie:

pennquaker09 = "too stupid"

Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
More love from a leftie:

pennquaker09 = "too stupid"

I'm undeniably liberal, but I prefaced what I said with, "some," because there are also some that are conservative for their own reasons.

I qualify a person that doesn't try to think for himself, whether Democrat or Republican or whatever, as stupid. However, more than likely, it's the nut-job right wingers sprouting off Fox News talking points. Perfect example, Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Replace her with Megan McCain already!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,055,296 times
Ok, we get it. The bottom line when it comes to the area's political ideology environment:
Tuscaloosa and much of Alabama=more conservative than most of coastal Cali.
However, Orange County can be quite conservative so maybe its not as big of a change as where you from elsewhere on the Cali coast.
In addition, people who don't critically think about their fundamental beliefs, no matter what those may be, aren't the brightest people in the world. Since Alabama is more conservative, those people (like most people in general here) tend to be conservative. In other places, blind followers may hold different beliefs.

On to other aspects.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,055,296 times
Oh, and people in Alabama love college football. This is undeniably and excessively true in Tuscaloosa. Your opinion on this differs with your opinion on college football and your idea regarding social gatherings and conversations often being centered around it.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,541,184 times
EXcuse me but I think you can make a case for JOY BEHAR spouting the Democratic talking points on the VIEW. Easier to point fingers than to be critical of your own kind. There really is no difference between Elizabeth Hasselbeck and Joy Behar in their extremes. Let us be fair.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM

You're comparing two people with vast differences in intellect. It's not even a Democrat versus Republican thing. It's more about how they talk about their views. Elizabeth doesn't realized that she's being used. She's the perfect spokesperson because she's: blond, attractive, and Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama