Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:31 PM

125 posts, read 426,863 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I am new at this posting thing but i would like to say i would love to live in Alabama. But some of the other threads have kinda scared me. But I will be there in 3weeks for Nascar...but if i would want to live there and the city i am talking about would poss. be long island or somewhere small, would be the best to check it out while i am there or can someone give me a honest answer??
PLEASE HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 AM

49 posts, read 193,409 times
I am not really sure what you are asking, but AL is a beautiful state and a great place to live. When you are in Talladega, drive towards Birmingham on I 20 and check out the small outlying areas along the way if that's what you want or keep coming in to the city and the suburbs etc. and check it out.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times
Talladega is a small town of about 15,000 people that is also home to the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind - Home, an outstanding school and training facility for deaf and blind adults and children in all 67 Alabama counties. It is also the location for Talladega College, formed in 1865, Alabama's oldest private, historically black, liberal arts college.
The town began as an early important American Indian settlement.
City of Talladega: The City of Talladega, Alabama Official Website
The local newspaper, the Daily Home: www.dailyhome.com
Talladega Chamber of Commerce: Talladega, Alabama Chamber of Commerce -- Official Web Site

Old 04-07-2008, 06:35 PM

Post Thanks y'all!!!

Thanks y'all! I am just nervous to move there, I will be all by myself, and i dont know no one there and i am just a little nervous, I dont want to run into the wrong people, like ones that would call me a yankee and poss. mean something hurtful by it. I am a nice girl, my mamaw and papaw are from TN so i kinda understand the slang y'all use. I use it too! haha but some of these forums scared me outta my whitts.I dont want no trouble while i am there. thats all!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM

I wouldn't move without having a job lined up, and without a serious visit. You don't want to move and have no income and find out you hate it! Moving anywhere costs money...think and plan first!
Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I wouldn't move without having a job lined up, and without a serious visit. You don't want to move and have no income and find out you hate it! Moving anywhere costs money...think and plan first!
Good luck!
Are there good jobs there? I dont know if Talladega would be the place for me. Maybe i was thinking addison? I was just reading about it and it seems very nice. But I dont know how the jobs are in AL or even in Addison. Are there good one?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
That is a big step to move to a place where you don't know anyone and have no job. Working at a fast food place isn't going to pay min wage. Getting a job in a small town is hard as there are that many jobs. Even being a vet tech, won't pay much to start.
Moving to a new place is scary when you move with a spouse or SO.

You need to have enough money to make deposits on electric and buy a tag for a car. There are a lot of things to consider.. Not that you can't do it, but you need a job.. unless you have enough money to live for at least 3 mos. without a job.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:38 PM

Well i would like to move to Addison, are there good jobs there? Or even a big city by there that has good jobs? I know i need a job. I have been looking but my main concern is just being by myself, and the people. I dont want to be beat down because i am from the north. I am open to anything

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 PM

Addison is a very, VERY small town (about 800 population), very rural. The nearest "big towns" are Cullman (15,000 population), Decatur (54,000 population), Huntsville (about 270,000 with suburbs), and Birmingham (about 400,000 or more with suburbs).
Addisonians mostly farm (LOTS of chicken farming). There used to be a big mobile home plant there...I think it's still there, but employment dropped a good bit after the post-Katrina housing was produced.
Addison might be a great place to live, but there is very little employment, and not many young people.
Sweetie, 19 is still quite young! My advice: get yourself a buddy or two and take a two- or three-week trip to Alabama and visit and see for yourself. Do some studying up. Visit this site: Alabama Bureau of Tourism & Travel Get some information from the particular places you want to visit (but remember, the pretty pictures in brochures only show part of the story!).
19 is young, but it's a great time to think and plan and explore where to go with your life.
Best wishes to you!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 AM

Cool Y'all are the best....

Thanks all of you!!! Y'all have helped a lot! You'll see me around in the threads, just pokin around! Y'all are the best! Thank you so so much Maybe i will see some of you at Talladega?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama