U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2010, 04:01 AM

7 posts, read 45,404 times

Advertisements

I recently received a job offer in Birmingham, AL, Shelby County area. I'm a young, professional, Asian female from the Northeast. I have read through some of the racism threads and have found that racism does not seem to be a huge problem in AL as most Northerners may fear, however, all of those threads discuss interactions between white, black and Hispanic people. Early in my career, I lived in Charlotte, NC for a year and 97% of the time I felt very comfortable with only the occasion glare or ignorant remark.

I grew up in a town where race was not really an issue. I don't really care what color the people are around me, but I'd like to know that they won't care either. It's not that fun being ostracized, whether it be for the color of your skin, your socio-economical background, or whatever. I know that there is not a very big Asian population in Birmingham. I am not looking for an Asian community in which to live, or Asian friends with whom to mingle. I am much more concerned with whether or not I can live safely (by myself) and work comfortably as an active part of the community.

I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 AM

844 posts, read 839,153 times
There is another thread elsewhere on here where someone asked how someone from China would be received in Alabama.
I have never known of a problem (doesn't mean one never happened, but not to my knowledge) and my daughter had a few roommates from China while in college. Some stayed with us here at home for the holidays, etc. There was a fairly large Asian population while my daughter was in school and I had never heard of a problem with one of them.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 AM

907 posts, read 1,194,698 times
Some folks might find this too blunt, but I'll go ahead and say it. Those in Alabama who may still have issues with race primarily have issues with African-Americans. Over the last 5-10 years the Hispanic population has soared, and some might take issue with them, as well. But I haven't noticed anyone with issues particularly with Asians. The difference could be if you happen to be Muslim and wear traditional dress. But I don't know that people would be rude -- more likely they would just be slightly suspicious and not be as welcoming (old habits die hard).

I think that in Alabama (as I'm sure is the case in many places) the key is trying to fit in -- being open to all that we have to offer. And that goes for anyone of any color, white included. As for an Asian community, I don't know that there is one, particularly. But the Hoover area is very diverse and has a variety of housing options, from inexpensive rentals to multi-million-dollar homes, depending on your needs.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 AM

9,047 posts, read 16,465,838 times
The OP will be fine. I live in a small town and some of my neighbors up the road are Chinese (they own one of the local restaurants), and they've never had any problems that I know of. I have noticed plenty of Asians in Mobile, and have found that many of the nurses at the hospitals are Asian women.

Alabama isn't as bad as many people make it out to be.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM

684 posts, read 788,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasqi33 View Post
I recently received a job offer in Birmingham, AL, Shelby County area. I'm a young, professional, Asian female from the Northeast. I have read through some of the racism threads and have found that racism does not seem to be a huge problem in AL as most Northerners may fear, however, all of those threads discuss interactions between white, black and Hispanic people. Early in my career, I lived in Charlotte, NC for a year and 97% of the time I felt very comfortable with only the occasion glare or ignorant remark.

I grew up in a town where race was not really an issue. I don't really care what color the people are around me, but I'd like to know that they won't care either. It's not that fun being ostracized, whether it be for the color of your skin, your socio-economical background, or whatever. I know that there is not a very big Asian population in Birmingham. I am not looking for an Asian community in which to live, or Asian friends with whom to mingle. I am much more concerned with whether or not I can live safely (by myself) and work comfortably as an active part of the community.

I appreciate your input.
Asia is a huge continent. Israel, part of russia, japan, China, Saudi Arabia, etc etc are located in Asia.

What type of asian are you? Bruce lee type or adam sandler Jew type?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:38 PM

5,870 posts, read 8,063,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Some folks might find this too blunt, but I'll go ahead and say it. Those in Alabama who may still have issues with race primarily have issues with African-Americans. Over the last 5-10 years the Hispanic population has soared, and some might take issue with them, as well. But I haven't noticed anyone with issues particularly with Asians. The difference could be if you happen to be Muslim and wear traditional dress. But I don't know that people would be rude -- more likely they would just be slightly suspicious and not be as welcoming (old habits die hard).

I think that in Alabama (as I'm sure is the case in many places) the key is trying to fit in -- being open to all that we have to offer. And that goes for anyone of any color, white included. As for an Asian community, I don't know that there is one, particularly. But the Hoover area is very diverse and has a variety of housing options, from inexpensive rentals to multi-million-dollar homes, depending on your needs.
Maybe you do not get to Birmingham much:>) Honda brought management, now the second generation, cultural exchanges and grocery stores:>)

Old 12-04-2010, 07:17 PM

907 posts, read 1,194,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Maybe you do not get to Birmingham much:>) Honda brought management, now the second generation, cultural exchanges and grocery stores:>)
But I do. Where do you believe I'm mistaken? I think it must be in our differing interpretations of "Asian Community." I was thinking purely in the geographical sense -- I think you're looking at it in a larger sense. Geographically, I don't think "Asians" flock to any particular neighborhood or area. Particularly since "Asian" can mean anything from Japanese to Kazakh to Pakistani.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama