U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 AM

528 posts, read 745,439 times

Advertisements

I'm in Tuscaloosa until Sunday afternoon. We're on our way to see family in Atlanta.

I'm from California. My Grandfather moved west early on. I've never been out here, but my Great-Grandfather was brought to Tuscaloosa by an Aunt when he was a young boy, and raised his family here.

The Aunt/family owned a grocery on University Blvd, their name was Forrester. I don't have a first name.

My Great-Grandfather owned a bookstore, Lustig's, that moved a few times. I have one address for a later incarnation, but only rough locations from a 1979 article in the Tuscaloosa news, by a woman who was with the historical society.

My Great-Grandfather was a hemophiliac so none of his daughters had children. Only my Grandfather and one brother had children, so out of the 6 children my Great-Grandparents had, they only had 3 grandchildren, none of whom grew up in Tuscaloosa.

While I'm here I'm hoping to do some digging. My Grandfather was extremely special to me, so I am hoping to figure out where the bookstore used to be, what might be there in it's place, and if any of the buildings might have been preserved.

I'm also looking for burial sites, but so far I can only find my Grandfather's brother, though I suspect the family that died here is buried there as well.

Tuscaloosa was a bit smaller 100+ years ago, so I'm guessing someone somewhere either remembers Lustig's bookstore (or the grocery owned by the Forrester family) or is related to someone who does.

This trip wasn't scheduled. I sure wish had known we'd be coming through, I would have been better prepared.

I would be extremely thankful for anyone who might remember anything about either family.

My Grandfather's brother, Eduard Lustig was an inventor, I know my Mom's cousin donated some of his papers to the university. Unfortunately the men of the family were... rather bookish (except Marcus, he was the social one of the boys) so I'm not sure how well remembered the family might be.

I figured it's worth asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 AM

5,802 posts, read 15,508,673 times
We have very, very few Tuscaloosa people on this board, and I'd be surprised if any of them were natives. Wish we could help more.
Good luck with your search! Do it now...the older folks are slipping away every day.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM

16,896 posts, read 51,472,328 times
Some links that might help you:

Historic Tuscaloosa - Home
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Genealogy, Courthouse Records and Ancestry
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama Cemetery Records

Old 01-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks y'all.

It's the down side of having lost our... reproductive potential. We lost an entire branch of the family line.

My Grandfather was considerably older than my Grandmother, and they divorced before I was born. I was in my early 20s when my Mom died, so effectively, we've lost all the history.

Lustig's was a part of Tuscaloosa's history, and now we're all gone. Kind of sad.

Since we don't have as much time here as we'd like (we're moving from Washington state to Michigan, we hope! Closing is taking forever in the new mortgage climate) we're planning to come back down and spend a couple of weeks downtown, so I can really do some digging.

It's exciting just to be here. Most of who I am is because of my Grandfather, so... well, the whole roots thing.

Thanks again! I'll check out those links especially.....

Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,909 times
I know this thread is several months old, but I read this in the paper today:
Businessman plans apartments for vacant Fredís | TuscaloosaNews.com

Old 10-07-2013, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,251 times
The Lustigs are buried in the Jewish section of Evergreen Cemetery, right in back of the UA stadium. The maiden sisters (Maxine and ?name?) lived in the family home on the corner of Caplewood and Reed Street and we avoided them, because they were rather surly. I would have liked to make friends but... I remember hearing that they had closed the store a few years before we came to Tuscaloosa in 1973.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,162 times
Default Lustig & Forster - I'm the great great grandson of

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
I'm in Tuscaloosa until Sunday afternoon. We're on our way to see family in Atlanta.

I'm from California. My Grandfather moved west early on. I've never been out here, but my Great-Grandfather was brought to Tuscaloosa by an Aunt when he was a young boy, and raised his family here.

The Aunt/family owned a grocery on University Blvd, their name was Forrester. I don't have a first name.

My Great-Grandfather owned a bookstore, Lustig's, that moved a few times. I have one address for a later incarnation, but only rough locations from a 1979 article in the Tuscaloosa news, by a woman who was with the historical society.

My Great-Grandfather was a hemophiliac so none of his daughters had children. Only my Grandfather and one brother had children, so out of the 6 children my Great-Grandparents had, they only had 3 grandchildren, none of whom grew up in Tuscaloosa.

While I'm here I'm hoping to do some digging. My Grandfather was extremely special to me, so I am hoping to figure out where the bookstore used to be, what might be there in it's place, and if any of the buildings might have been preserved.

I'm also looking for burial sites, but so far I can only find my Grandfather's brother, though I suspect the family that died here is buried there as well.

Tuscaloosa was a bit smaller 100+ years ago, so I'm guessing someone somewhere either remembers Lustig's bookstore (or the grocery owned by the Forrester family) or is related to someone who does.

This trip wasn't scheduled. I sure wish had known we'd be coming through, I would have been better prepared.

I would be extremely thankful for anyone who might remember anything about either family.

My Grandfather's brother, Eduard Lustig was an inventor, I know my Mom's cousin donated some of his papers to the university. Unfortunately the men of the family were... rather bookish (except Marcus, he was the social one of the boys) so I'm not sure how well remembered the family might be.

I figured it's worth asking.
Hi please contact me. We are cousins way back. I'm assuming your Great Grandfather is Sigmund Lustig. I did not know or had forgotten that he was a hemophiliac. I've done much research on the Forster family. I had been looking for Sigmund Lustig's parents in America, but now I know why I could never find them. So he came to America with Jake Forster and Grace Roth Forster. The Forster's had two hemophiliac children too. I had heard that Sigmund had a brother that died very young too, that was probably a hemophiliac. Hemophilia killed off the Forster family too, because many of the girls never had children. Jake Forster's home is a historic home on Greensboro Avenue.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,993 times
I recently bought a small cast iron ash tray. On the botton of it has, "Lustig's , Tuscaloosa, Alabama". This could be from your Familys' store. Let me know if your interested in it.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annajsinger View Post
The Lustigs are buried in the Jewish section of Evergreen Cemetery, right in back of the UA stadium. The maiden sisters (Maxine and ?name?) lived in the family home on the corner of Caplewood and Reed Street and we avoided them, because they were rather surly. I would have liked to make friends but... I remember hearing that they had closed the store a few years before we came to Tuscaloosa in 1973.
This is old, somehow I never saw the notification of these responses!

Anna, your description of Maxine and Esther was spot on. My Grandfather loved his sisters, but he dreaded visiting because they bickered about everything. I think there were several aspects of their life that they found hard to bear, and they didn't seem to bear it well. I think it was Maxine that modeled briefly, she was beautiful, but never married due to the hemophilia.

I think they closed the store in the mid-70s actually, I was old enough to remember the discussion. But I think they had moved it to a smaller location before it was closed.

I didn't realize there was a specific Jewish section to the cemetery, although we did see some other Jewish plots.

We haven't made it back down yet, but I'm hopeful we can before too long.

Thanks for the information! It's great to know.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 836 times
Default Lustig's

I have three pictures with a 'Lustig's Tascaloosa, Alabama' tag on the back.

content://media/external/file/12226
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama