U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 23,165 times

Advertisements

I am moving soon to Lookout Mtn. and I am wondreing how far we will have to drive to find something to do for work. Mostly concerned about my son. He currently works for the City here at the water dept. He also has a cdl class b license. He is 22 and a very hard dependable worker that knows all aspects of county and city water management. I am personally a hairdresser of 25 years that would like to do something different. Maybe with animals or secretary work. My other son is going to be a pro bass fisherman. He has his boat and all equiptment is now just waiting for his tournaments to start.
Tell me anything you may know of employment with 45 minutes of N Alabama. Of course the closer the better. Big cities are great for for mall shopping and doctors, but not everyday drivibg. Gadsden, Guntersville, towns like that , that may have work.
Thanks, Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 02:27 PM

37 posts, read 114,954 times
where are you moving from ?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:40 PM

Moving from Brandon Fl outside of Tampa.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM

5,025 posts, read 10,910,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmain View Post
I am moving soon to Lookout Mtn. and I am wondreing how far we will have to drive to find something to do for work. Mostly concerned about my son. He currently works for the City here at the water dept. He also has a cdl class b license. He is 22 and a very hard dependable worker that knows all aspects of county and city water management. I am personally a hairdresser of 25 years that would like to do something different. Maybe with animals or secretary work. My other son is going to be a pro bass fisherman. He has his boat and all equiptment is now just waiting for his tournaments to start.
Tell me anything you may know of employment with 45 minutes of N Alabama. Of course the closer the better. Big cities are great for for mall shopping and doctors, but not everyday driving. Gadsden, Guntersville, towns like that , that may have work.
Thanks, Donna
If your son has a CDL he can have his pick of jobs. It's really hard to find somebody qualified and willing to work. Alabama has really tough CDL standards, so if he can qualify, it's gold. Other work...not so sure about that. A good hairdresser is gold, too, but you'll have to hit the pavement to find something else. Remember, these are small towns and not that many businesses. But...you never know. Polish up your Microsoft Office skills!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:08 PM

My husband is a veteran of the military(army). How far is Huntsville from Ft Payne?

Old 07-16-2007, 03:25 PM

5,025 posts, read 10,910,761 times
I'd give an hour and 15 minutes, hour and a half. You would probably go to Scottsboro and then hit 72 and head west. Or you could go to Guntersville and head west. One way or another, you've got to cross the Tennessee River!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 PM

13,569 posts, read 23,130,984 times
Welcome fellow Tampa Bay resident. You will love it here. You won't believe the property taxes or how cheap homeowner's ins is here.
Southlander is right, it is about an hour 15 to Guntersville area on hwy 75. Now that is with me driving and not knowing my way around that area. The one thing that will drive you crazy is the lack of street signs in the rural areas. I have gotten really good at getting lost at least once every trip to someplace new.
Check out the Alabama State employment site for jobs listed.. joblink.alabama.gov.
Publix has several stores in Huntsville. I do miss shopping there but I go there to buy items I can't get here in Arab. Like Cuban bread, cuban sandwiches and other items only they carry.
I hope you like it up here as much as I do..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama