U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-24-2011, 02:17 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,578,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
I can't believe you liked Riley Portcity!

LOL...Riley`s reign had no neggative effects on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-24-2011, 04:35 PM

23,379 posts, read 22,955,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
LOL...Riley`s reign had no neggative effects on me.
Don't pay any attention to Mimp. He's still mad that Riley actually fulfilled his oath of office by enforcing the gambling laws in this state.

Unread 01-25-2011, 09:34 AM

93 posts, read 112,262 times
Mobile- Alabama new hidden gem, I like the amount of jobs,maybe not high paying but jobs none the less, beautiful natural city
Mongomery-is revitalizing its core which is always a strength to a city, not urban sprawl
Birmingham-people are going to have to accept the fact that maybe bham isn't or will never be what it used to be due to sprawl, city corruption and the emergence of HSV and mobile
Huntsville-City at the governments whim, but except to see a lot of projects to diversify this year. Urban sprawl is becoming rampant, feels like its losing is southerness with influx of transplants

Unread 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM

3,779 posts, read 2,550,346 times
The bottom line I think is Birmingham has more then one horse to ride. If one industry fails, falters or stagnates, the whole area is not dependant on it to keep going - we've got others to pick up the slack. When I think of Huntsville, all I can think of is how much they depend on NASA and defense spending. When I think of Mobile, all I can think of is the seaport and RSA and honestly I didn't have much of anything to think of when Montgomery crossed my mind other then corrupt state government and now, Hyundai.

Birmingham is going to be taking care of the issue of being landlocked (I have no idea how Birmingport affects anything other then the steel industry) by adding the intermodal facility. And being the largest city in the center of all the surrounding auto plants and with the most interstate connections makes us poised to grow in other ways we haven't even discussed here.

Unread 01-26-2011, 02:44 PM

283 posts, read 293,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The bottom line I think is Birmingham has more then one horse to ride. If one industry fails, falters or stagnates, the whole area is not dependant on it to keep going - we've got others to pick up the slack. When I think of Huntsville, all I can think of is how much they depend on NASA and defense spending. When I think of Mobile, all I can think of is the seaport and RSA and honestly I didn't have much of anything to think of when Montgomery crossed my mind other then corrupt state government and now, Hyundai.

Birmingham is going to be taking care of the issue of being landlocked (I have no idea how Birmingport affects anything other then the steel industry) by adding the intermodal facility. And being the largest city in the center of all the surrounding auto plants and with the most interstate connections makes us poised to grow in other ways we haven't even discussed here.
funny bcuz when i think of Birmingham all i can think of is banking.

Unread 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
funny bcuz when i think of Birmingham all i can think of is banking.
Well, no. There's heavy manufacturing, automotive, distribution, publishing, biomedical, computing, engineering, etc. etc. etc. It's a very diverse economy.

Unread 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,578,746 times
Yes B-ham has pretty diverse economy...... Mobile is the only metro in the state that does not have automotive.We have everything else except for banking and automotive.I can definitely see automotive in the future but not banking.

Unread 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM

9,884 posts, read 9,142,737 times
WOW! I didn't know Huntsville's shape was that bad.

Unread 01-27-2011, 08:04 AM

3,779 posts, read 2,550,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
YI can definitely see automotive in the future but not banking.
How can there be a future in anything without banking? Yeah they have had to restructure, yeah they've had to rethink their entire way of doing business, but it was the one industry our government rushed to bailout without question or argument - no matter how badly they behaved.

Bell was on TV talking high speed rail again and I had thought the Republicans were going to have that first on the list of things to cut to show they were serious about cutting spending now that they are in power over Congress again. Still, there he was hyping up a high speed route between the 'Ham and the ATL boasting a 45 min commute for people who live in one city and work in the other. And he was talking about a light rail system from the eastside to the westside.

Unread 01-27-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
WOW! I didn't know Huntsville's shape was that bad.
I don't think it's bad. I just think it's vulnerable. That's the inherent danger of any town that basically has one industry, particularly one that's as fickle as supplying the United States Government. Birmingham learned the problems with this kind of dependency when the steel industry tanked in the 70s. Civic leaders learned and diversified the economy accordingly, leading to the very strong growth of the 80s, 90s, and most of the 00s.

Huntsville has had a great run of it over the past ten years. But given the increasing pressure on government spending that will likely ensue over the next few years, I would be spending every moment possible to bringing in high tech industries that are not dependent on NASA or the DoD for revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama