Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:21 PM
MPC MPC started this thread

703 posts, read 1,267,128 times

Advertisements

I recently read Alabama was almost last in growth from the past 10 years, at something like 7.5%. My question is, how could Alabama improve and why maybe are we not growing as fast and as much as neighboring states. Alabama is the central southern state, plenty of land, okay-good sized cities and metros. I read and look at Florida's, Texas' and Georgia's growth and wonder why Alabama couldn't be like them. What do you see in the future for the State as a whole and the cities in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Alabama doesn't have the same cities as FL, GA, or TX. I believe Alabama will shine soon, as you said, there are many cities that are growing. I can't, for the life of me, believe that Mississippi experienced more growth than even Birmingham metro.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:48 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Growth in what? Employment, new residents, construction? It might help to have a link to what you were reading so it can be discussed. I can't speak for all of AL but Mobile and Huntsville area have seen a lot of growth recent in employment. Some smaller cities have lost jobs due to them being moved out of the country.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Actually Alabama has had some huge growth in areas such as household income and educational achievement. We've climbed out of the statistical bottom in those areas. That's the kind of growth that matters to me.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 AM

138 posts, read 254,409 times
Quote:
Actually Alabama has had some huge growth in areas such as household income and educational achievement.
Wow? Really? That's great!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Alabama's growth rate is just fine, its not like were losing people. The high growth in other Southern states like GA and NC is mostly because of the cities, and then there's the massive suburban sprawl that comes with that. No thanks.

Just go over to the NC forum and see what the NATIVE North Carolinians think of all of that growth, most of them don't like it.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:02 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually Alabama has had some huge growth in areas such as household income and educational achievement. We've climbed out of the statistical bottom in those areas. That's the kind of growth that matters to me.

Yes ! And as long as Alabama continue to grow in those areas other things will folow.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:05 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Sounds pretty bad. I think most people who have never been to Alabama, pretty much just write it off as too close-minded of a place to move to. Even if the cities were big and booming, there are just too many groups of people that would feel uncomfortable in a place with such a reputation for ignorance (People who are not Christian and/or 100% white). I visited Alabama for a few weeks years ago, and it didn't feel very welcoming. I'm also a Jewish Latina, so I don't know if people would be very nice to me.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:09 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Sounds pretty bad. I think most people who have never been to Alabama, pretty much just write it off as too close-minded of a place to move to. Even if the cities were big and booming, there are just too many groups of people that would feel uncomfortable in a place with such a reputation for ignorance (People who are not Christian and/or 100% white). I visited Alabama for a few weeks years ago, and it didn't feel very welcoming. I'm also a Jewish Latina, so I don't know if people would be very nice to me.

And again you are a vicim of stereotypical ignorance.The state of Alabama is growing at a moderate healthy rate.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 PM

99 posts, read 267,909 times
I'm originally from Raleigh, NC. Because of all of the transplants from up north, a lot of natives are no longer able to afford to live in Raleigh anymore. You can't even find a decent 1br apartment for under $550/month. I remember when Raleigh used to be a quaint town. Now it loaded with people from everywhere and it has lost it's personality.

I hope to relocate to another state after I am done with school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama