Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 09:55 AM

207 posts, read 684,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
Yes, acreage may still be available in Madison, but it would be too expensive for individuals to purchase since you would be competing with developers. Larger lots are available north of Madison (in Monrovia), but if you have school age children you should be aware that schools in that part of the county are facing overcrowding issues since so many people have moved into that area in the last 5 years. A lot of people looking for acreage are also looking in Tennessee, just across the state line.
Hi Marysally...thanks for the info...what's Monrovia like? That's a place I haven't heard of...we don't have any school
age children....they're grown and on their own now, so
schools wouldn't be a problem for us. But since you did make that distinction. I'm assuming that the area is crowded...is that true?

Thanks for your time....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Nic

13 posts, read 65,591 times
This is an old thread, but there are many small farms in the northern AL and southern central TN area. You will have many options for fresh produce and eggs besides the grocery stores, if you are so inclined. You can check out some of the listings at www.localharvest.org, but it's not a comprehensive list by any means.

My Mom lives in Athens, and she and her friends all buy their beef and pork (in halfs and wholes, butchered/smoked as desired) from nearby Mennonite farmers for far cheaper than even the cheapest on-sale meat at grocery stores, but it's much better quality and hormone and antibiotic free.

I'm moving to the area after the first of the year, and I am looking at some acreage Killen, too. It seems like a nice area and very affordable. I telecommute, so driving distance isn't a factor for me but I don't want to get TOO far out in the sticks in case I have to change jobs and start showing up at an office!

Old 12-02-2006, 10:05 AM

207 posts, read 684,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
This is an old thread, but there are many small farms in the northern AL and southern central TN area. You will have many options for fresh produce and eggs besides the grocery stores, if you are so inclined. You can check out some of the listings at www.localharvest.org, but it's not a comprehensive list by any means.

My Mom lives in Athens, and she and her friends all buy their beef and pork (in halfs and wholes, butchered/smoked as desired) from nearby Mennonite farmers for far cheaper than even the cheapest on-sale meat at grocery stores, but it's much better quality and hormone and antibiotic free.

I'm moving to the area after the first of the year, and I am looking at some acreage Killen, too. It seems like a nice area and very affordable. I telecommute, so driving distance isn't a factor for me but I don't want to get TOO far out in the sticks in case I have to change jobs and start showing up at an office!
Hi NIC....Thank you so much for the info. Am soooo
happy to learn about the Mennonite farmers in the area!
I was able to buy organic beef in CA from a organic cattle ranch and I really miss that here in FL. That's why I was asking about a Whole Foods Market or something comparable. Also, thanks for the link to farmers markets.

Hubby and I will be leaving FL on Dec 26 for our first trip
to AL.....we're really excited about it! We have a little over a week to look around...Killen does good, as well as Athens. Do you know about any acreage in Athens?

You said you were moving to the area after the holidays..
just wondering where you're moving FROM. Would love to hear form you again...you can always PM me.

Thanks again, for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama