Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:59 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times

Advertisements

Were looking to buy a cottage on the water, which is nicer, Guntersville Lake or Smith Lake, or somewhere else? Looking for a place to go with family for boating, fishing, water skiing, swimming, etc... Looking for a place that is busy with other families. And anyone who can help me with what price i'm looking at for a small house on the lake or a lot at least 1/2 acre or more. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Not sure what you mean by "nicer". Guntersville is more scenic IMO, with wide vistas and places where you can see several miles across the water. Smith Lake is more narrow and twisty. Smith Lake also seems a little more isolated. As far as prices, if you go to realtor.com and look under the town of Guntersville, the waterfront listings start about $425k. If you look under Cullman (Smith Lake), prices start in the mid-$300s.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:01 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "nicer". Guntersville is more scenic IMO, with wide vistas and places where you can see several miles across the water. Smith Lake is more narrow and twisty. Smith Lake also seems a little more isolated. As far as prices, if you go to realtor.com and look under the town of Guntersville, the waterfront listings start about $425k. If you look under Cullman (Smith Lake), prices start in the mid-$300s.
nicer - i mean scenic and which has more to do - such as swimming areas, better fishing etc.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:01 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Can't speak for Smith Lake but Guntersville is on the professional bass circuit. You can find property on Guntersville lake but some are not on the lake itself but have a boathouse on a lot on the water which belongs to the property owner. The lakes while not man made have trees underwater. You can check out property in Marshall and Jackson county for lakefront property on valleymls.com. From what I have seen and I am by no means an expert you will need a boat to get to some of the nicer swimming areas. Lake Guntersville is big and there are a lot of little alcoves where people meet and go swimming. You are surrounded by the mountains . I took these this summer from a friend's boat. He has a houseboat which he lives on near Scottsboro. He lives on it on Goose Pond.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/9d772941.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/050ba3a8.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/4803ce03.jpg

Last edited by Keeper; 07-31-2007 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: added photo link

Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Both lakes are nice man-made lakes. Guntersville has Tennessee River barge traffic, which for me kind of disturbs the serenity of a nice summer afternoon. Smith Lake doesn't really have a main channel that stands out like at Guntersville and there is no barge traffic. I think the water at Smith Lake is cleaner because there is basically no industry or cities upstream. The banks are very steep at Smith Lake. A lot of the houses are perched up on a bluff and have lots of steps leading down to the water. Guntersville is surround by hills, which is nice and has gentler slops leading into the water.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:30 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Disturbed by barge traffic? I'd LOVe to be disturbed by barge traffic! The lake at Guntersville is wide enough that there are plenty of places to boat, swim and ski out of the barge traffic.
The other difference is...while both lakes are manmade, formed behind dams, Guntersville is a part of the BIG Tennessee River, while Smith is on a smaller, non-navigable stream. Good luck...I'd love to have even a dump on the river, but prices are so high now that will remain a dream.
You might also look on Wheeler Lake, which is downstream from Guntersville, between Decatur and Town Creek. The Florence area also has some riverside dwellings.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:37 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
I was just pointing out a significant difference between the two lakes. I realize there are plenty of places out of the main channel. But Guntersville is a major shipping avenue, whereas Smith Lake has no shipping routes, that changes the character of the lake.

I wish I could afford property on any water too, any waterfront property is out of control now.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 41,507 times
You should check out Wheeler Lake/TN River. We just bought a lot out there for future retirement. We also love boating/water skiing and when I looked at Guntersville I didn't like all the vegetation growing in there. Guntersville is a GREAT fishing lake, alright--but I don't think my kids would set foot in that water. Wheeler looked MUCH better. Smith Lake looked nice too--but it was further out from Huntsville and we needed to be closer to that area. Prices out at Wheeler seemed a little more reasonable as well. When searching for houses check out the MLS system around the Athens area. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:23 PM

232 posts, read 994,078 times
The Realtors out at Smith Lake will tell you it's the 3rd cleanest lake in the U.S. or some such. No idea, really, without researching it. Guntersville is pretty scenic with good fishing as you've heard, Lake Weiss gets a lot of the Atlanta folks on weekends but I was really impressed with Tims Ford in Franklin County,TN when it comes to a lot of family activity. At least in the cove where we were visiting friends Memorial Day. Nice lake and only an hour NE of Huntsville. We'll be back.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 25,529 times
We've been on Guntersville Lake now for over a year, and our whole family loves it! There is so much to do, and so little traffic. We're even planning a trip up the lake to Chattanooga. I've heard Smith Lake is great, but some areas get such low water at certain times of the year, my friend has to take his boat out of the water.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 08-09-2007 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama