U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 PM

23 posts, read 54,135 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband is interviewing for positions in Birmingham and Huntsville. I grew up in TN, but currently live in Central NY (Syracuse). We have two boys, 4 and 8, and am a little concerned about moving somewhere where we might lose the diversity that we have here. My children see no color.....any thoughts on comparing the two areas?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM

25,156 posts, read 27,058,349 times
I like both cities. I think my recommendation is really dependent on what is most important to you in terms of priorities.

As far as the diversity issue is concerned, both cities have advanced well beyond the stereotypes. I'm not going to kid you and say that it's Camelot (Just like any city in America), but the stereotypes you see on television and the movies simply do not exist any more.

In terms of diversity, I would argue that Birmingham has a great deal more of it.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 PM

11,699 posts, read 26,972,989 times
Birmingham is cosmopolitan. Huntsville is a small city. Religion is far more important in Huntsville and north Alabama, even though it is a big factor in B'ham.

Huntsville schools are in an uproar now and cutting back due to costs.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 AM

4,925 posts, read 6,232,585 times
...but not all Huntsville area schools are in an uproar. Madison County and Madison City schools are rocking along fine.

Huntsville is a small city compared to Birmingham, but in my experience, I've found it more diverse than Birmingham. I think it's due to the type of industries you find here. As a whole, it seems to have a higher proportion of educated professionals, certainly in the engineering and technical fields.

Again, just what I've seen.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 AM

5,015 posts, read 10,803,839 times
Huntsville schools are still in better shape than Birmingham city schools. Of course, more than likely the OP would be looking at a suburb to live in. So, you have to check the school system, and often the individual school.
And there are private schools, but they're not as prevalent as in some areas of the country.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:08 AM

2,098 posts, read 1,962,506 times
Go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools

Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM

25,156 posts, read 27,058,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
...but not all Huntsville area schools are in an uproar. Madison County and Madison City schools are rocking along fine.

Huntsville is a small city compared to Birmingham, but in my experience, I've found it more diverse than Birmingham. I think it's due to the type of industries you find here. As a whole, it seems to have a higher proportion of educated professionals, certainly in the engineering and technical fields.

Again, just what I've seen.
Well, this is subjective but, having spent a lot of time in both cities, I'd say that Birmingham has more diversity, what with the huge medical center, UAB, and research. Meanwhile, Huntsville seems to be a good deal more whitebread to me. I guess it really depends on what part of town you frequent.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM

5,583 posts, read 3,950,267 times
I went to school in Huntsville and I've lived in Birmingham all my life. I would defintitel say Birmingham has the edge in diversity. The only thing you might say about hville is that it has more of a specific type of engineer particularly aerospace, but there are loads of technical people here in other fields as well as every other background, field or

Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM

5,583 posts, read 3,950,267 times
I went to school in Huntsville and I live in Birmingham. While you might say hville has more
Aerospace engineers and people working in that field, bham has as many and much more of technical people working in other fields. Plus there all kinds of people around doing everything else so the 'Ham has far more diversity.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM

34 posts, read 48,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Birmingham is cosmopolitan. Huntsville is a small city. Religion is far more important in Huntsville and north Alabama, even though it is a big factor in B'ham.

Huntsville schools are in an uproar now and cutting back due to costs.
Yes Birmingham is a large city, but I wouldn't call Huntsville a small city. I would compare the Huntsville-Decatur area to the Raleigh-Durham area which is a relatively largely populated and develped area.
So bottom line, if you want something like Richmond, Virginia forsay, then Birmingham is for you, but If you want something Similar to what you are used to like Syracuse or like Raleigh-Durham or Panama City-Lynn Haven, FL then Huntsville is right for you! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama