Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times

Advertisements

The most racist people I have ever met have been from the North/Midwest including Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. The worst one was from Wisconsin. I heard the "N" word more in two hours out of that guy than I have in my entire life in Alabama.

You can find them everywhere in the U.S. along with Canada. I think a lot of times people bring the negative attention they get on themselves. If you walk around being a pretentious a-hole with an attitude, people are going to give you some attitude back and if you are a mixed couple, racism may be the thing they decide to throw at you. That is all just hypothetical though and to be honest I can't think of one time I have ever seen racism thrown around for no reason. With that said, I have seen it a few times out in public when people of color were acting like fools, being menacing etc. and some people around yelled some racist remarks at them. I certainly was not involved in it and don't condone it but I'm must saying that the only times I have really seen it, it was provoked in some way. Of course, keep in mind that happens everywhere, not just the South.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:59 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
I live on the southside of Birmingham and I can tell you that there are more interracial couples here than I've ever seen anywhere. It's very common in this neighborhood and nobody gives a damn. This is also probably the most diverse neighborhood in Alabama. Much more than just black and white. For the record, even though interracial marriage didn't officially become legal in Alabama until 2000, there were many married interracial couples prior to that. It was an old law on the books that wasn't enforced. My cousin married her African American husband in 1986; in Alabama.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
I live on the southside of Birmingham and I can tell you that there are more interracial couples here than I've ever seen anywhere. It's very common in this neighborhood and nobody gives a damn. This is also probably the most diverse neighborhood in Alabama. Much more than just black and white. For the record, even though interracial marriage didn't officially become legal in Alabama until 2000, there were many married interracial couples prior to that. It was an old law on the books that wasn't enforced. My cousin married her African American husband in 1986; in Alabama.
Maybe there was an old State law but in 1967 it appears that interraccial marriages were made legal by Fedaral Law. A quick Google search turned up this:

The United States Supreme Court held laws against interracial marriage were unconstitutional in the case Loving v. Virginia, (1967). At that time 16 states still had laws prohibiting interracial marriages. That decision ended all race-based legal restrictions on marriage.

Read more: When did interracial marriage become legal in all fifty US states

I have never lived in Alabama, but my Father in Law is from lower Alabama (he is about 70) and is very racist. But he acknowledges the fact and is trying to change. His racism has more to do with being brought up during the Jim Crow era and the way he was raised (poor rural farm upbringing). He will say some things that just make your hair stand on end. we always call him out on it. He doesn't understand how offensive he can be to non racists not to mention the target (blacks)-but like others have said his kind is dying out.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
my Father in Law is from lower Alabama (he is about 70) and is very racist. But he acknowledges the fact and is trying to change.
I actually have a lot of respect for people like this. Fighting against decades of upbringing, but realizing that its not right is something few people can do.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
That's interesting...I know a few Virginians who would be quite surprised at that assessment. Of course, they consider NOVA as practically a different state now.

Honey, you just THINK you have no accent!
Only place in VA that is truly Southern is Southwest and Richmond. Rest of the state is Northern/Mid Atlantic

Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,836 times
Default Virginia is a Southern State

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Only place in VA that is truly Southern is Southwest and Richmond. Rest of the state is Northern/Mid Atlantic
I've met dozens of people (mostly teens and twenty-somethings) from Fredericksburg, and every one of them has a Southern accent. Likewise, people who are actually from Charlottesville and natives of parts of Northern Virginia still have accents. I'm 22 and I went to high school in Fairfax County and not only did a lot of students (and most faculty) have accents, but when I went to college up North, people kept pointing out that people from (Northern) Va have "the ghost of a Southern accent" or "a faint Southern accent", to quote the most common phrases. SW Va is definitely Southern as all get-out, but a lot of folks closer to DC and in Hampton Roads are more Southern than they might realize. Then again, all this talk of "Mid-Atlantic" suggests they at least realize they're not Northern, which is a start.

Also, I live in Prince William County now, and whenever I go to local venues I hear Southern accents everywhere. It seems that part of the problem is that enough people from around here want to imagine they're not Southern, so they don't notice such things that are more or less obvious to truly Northern folks.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
I have never met anyone from Virginia whom did not have a Southern accent. Most had a significant very noticeable accent. Even West Virgina has a very prevalent Southern accent.

The wikipedia page on Southern dialect includes a map that is fairly accurate from my experience: Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many people might find it interesting that the Southern accent is the largest accent group in the United States.

For those of you who move to the South from other regions of the country and do not originally have a Southern accent, be forewarned; you take it back with you if you live here very long. If you stay a year or more and then go back home for a visit you will find yourself begin made fun of for your newly acquired Southern "twang." lol

Old 07-21-2011, 01:03 AM

31 posts, read 83,065 times
I'd rent for 6 months see if you like it, see if his job works out! I've lived up north and down south. As far as interracial couples nobody cares. I had a heck of a problem understanding the southern accent. Alabama is bringing a lot of industry in and developing like crazy. No matter where you live try to live by the golden rule; which, is treat others the way you want to be treated! A lot go to church in Alabama and are quite religious. College football is huge in Alabama. Mudd riding is popular in Alabama and rodeo's. I personally don't care for Alabama. I liked north Atlanta and the suburbs of Atlanta a lot better you get a little of everything living by Atlanta. It's not too southern or northern and for the most part you won't find deep southern accents in a lot of the people that are around the Atlanta area. Alabama a lot of folks have deep southern accents. If you like southern culture and the southern way of life Alabama is right for you. You dislike southern culture or way of life. I would certainly not choose Alabama. I think you'd like Atlanta a lot better. Atlanta is middle ground neutral ground I would say. When I go from Alabama to Atlanta I fell like I go to an entirely different country two hours away. It's UNBELIEVABLE really is. Good luck with the decision and best of luck to you, husband, and child.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
As the product of an interracial marriage (Caucasian dad, AA mom - which you really don't see that often), I can tell you that it's not that bad. Now, that's not to say people don't have their prejudices or whatever. For example, I was visiting and my mom and I went to Whole Foods (in the whitest of suburbs) and my kids were calling her grandma and, I, obviously call her mom. To passersby, it looks like three Caucasian people and an African American woman, so people wonder. The mysteries of genetics.

Anyway, we get stares and hushed whispers, but I grew up with it so it doesn't bother me. I'm proud to be biracial and, you have to have that same mentality about your marriage. Don't be concerned with what other people think.

And, as others have said, you're going to get whatever you put into it, back. If you go there with the preconceived notion that people are against interracial marriage, then you're not going to have the most positive experience.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
While interracial couples are accepted in Alabama by most whites and blacks, given your attitude I suggest you find someplace else to live.
I think it's very normal for OP to feel as she does. She likes where she lives, she knows the history of race problems in the South, and she is concerned about moving. Add to that a pregnancy. Now that some helpful people have told her that race is not such an issue, she can relax a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama