Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

We are fairly young retirees (68 and 54), now living in Phoenix, AZ. Obviously, we are okay with heat, but my husband does not like humidity.
But, after spending 3 months in Cape Coral, Florida earlier this year, I've finally got him addicted to fishing. Which means we are interested in relocating out of Phoenix (great with me - I've missed the water since 1989.) Getting him a boat made the convincing way easier.

We liked Florida, but I'm wondering if we should be looking at AL also - I hear and read great things about the Gulf Coast, and believe that there are also some very good areas for fresh water fishing. We are not into deep water fishing - just inshore, and intercoastal.

It also appears that the cost of housing, and possibly cost of living are lower in AL (though FL has no income tax, which is attractive).

I know we can't escape the humidity, but maybe someone can give me an idea on how long the really humid season lasts? We're very open to tolerating it for 2-3 months, or just getting out of town for 2-3 months. But I'd rather not be a full fledged snowbird, with homes in two places, each empty for half the year.

Thoughts, opinions and advice are most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 03:49 PM

854 posts, read 1,704,145 times
Hello again. I'm interested in Guntersville and Scottsboro for the same reasons. BUT the summers are hot and humid. They're both on the HUGE Guntersville Lake.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Having lived in FL for 30 years in Tampa I don't find the humidity really that bad in NE AL. It is hot though.. Today it is in the high 90s with 36% humidity.

In LA (lower AL) it is more humid like FL. Today the humidity is 70% in Gulf Shores but it is cooler so it may have rained there.

Guntersville is the home to several bass fishing tournaments. It is a huge lake and even during the summer it is not nearly as crowded as I would have thought.

There is no AL state income tax on SS and many pensions are also exempt from State income tax. There are a lot of companies on the list, but all gov't pensions are expempt. Property taxes are much less in AL than in FL.

There is a new car tag tax in FL for new residents. I have read it is $450 avg per car. HOI is also an issue in some areas especially if you live near the gulf.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:44 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times
I would strongly urge you to spend some 'summertime' here in southern AL and see what you think about the humidity. It is pretty bad...I grew up in Mobile and it can be brutal. So why am I back here? Who knows.... LOL

It would be better near the coast.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
Coastal Alabama has a hurricane season beginning in June and lasting till November. If you don't ever have a hurricane, its not a problem, on the other hand you may get one like Katrina.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
Since you like fishing, what about Lake Eufaula area in south Alabama? It is near the Gulf Coast but enough inland that you don't worry about hurricanes. You can boat all the way down to the Gulf and I understand that there is some good fishing there. However, I think humidity is an issue all year round anywhere in the deep South.

We are moving there and it will be an adjustment for sure. Much smaller town than we have ever lived in but everyone seems to love it. Guess we will have to drive to Atlanta or Tallahasee for big city lights!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
I would strongly urge you to spend some 'summertime' here in southern AL and see what you think about the humidity. It is pretty bad...I grew up in Mobile and it can be brutal. So why am I back here? Who knows.... LOL

It would be better near the coast.
Good advice - I say the same to the newbies on the AZ forum all the time. No matter where we go, renting for 6-24 months is part of the plan.

But Why is it better near the coast? Is it the ocean breeze? How close to the coast is close enough? And aren't the home owners insurance costs WAY higher on the coast than inland?

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-02-2011 at 10:12 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 05:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
HOI is much more near the coast. The gov't is trying to find more insurers which might help lower the cost of living there. The downside to that is like in FL most of them are smaller insurers and there is worry that they might not be able to pay if the big one ever hit.

Mobile is a beautiful city and I almost moved back there too. I always go there when I come down just to see the beautiful old houses.

No matter where you live there is good and bad.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 PM

358 posts, read 710,938 times
Yes, the cost of living is low in AL. And if you lump all the different kinds of taxes together it rates in the top 4 states I think. If you want to stay away from humidity and high HOI then definitely consider central to northern AL. There are beautiful places to live. And you are just 2 to 4 hours from all the best gulf coast beaches when you're ready to enjoy it in the cooler months.

We lived in Montgomery for 4 years and my feeling on the heat is this: once you get to late May you are going to be noticing the humidity but only in the warmest hours of the day...~noon to 4pm. The first week of July you're getting into a really toasty season with plenty of humidity (although not quite as bad as coastal areas to the south). Central and north AL will still give you a fairly livable evening after about 7pm though.

By the second or third week of September you will start noticing the heat and dampness lifting.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 PM

231 posts, read 595,549 times
Default retirement in alabama

Not trying to knock Alabama as I like the State, lived there most of my life, plan on moving back and think parts of it are excellent places to retire. Truth is though that the humidity is high throughout the State all year around even in North Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama