Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:10 PM

131 posts, read 648,399 times

Advertisements

Folks, I live in Indianapolis. I moved here nearly 5 years ago from Baltimore and I moved there in Jan of 1990 shortly after I was discharged from the Army. I am giving some serious thought to getting out of here in the fall because my prospects in this town are NIL. Anyway, if I were to move down to Alabama and chose either Montgomery or Birmingham which city would Y'ALL RECOMMEND? Your opinions, suggestions and advice are welcome.

ONE LAST QUESTION, FOLKS. I am a single, quiet, down to earth guy and I have kept my nose clean my entire life. Would I have a good opportunity to meet a nice southern gal in Alabama? Again your comments and recommendations are most welcome from this yankee. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 03:24 PM

55 posts, read 265,121 times
Before EVERYONE screams Birmingham & they will, let me just ask this...you can't seriously be comparing the pit of hell Montgomery with one of Alabama's most lovely cities? IT"S A NO-BRAINER!!!!

By the way, ANY city but Montgomery...even Huntsville will do (Just kidding all you Huntsville lovers)!

Old 08-18-2007, 03:30 PM

131 posts, read 648,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbluefish View Post
Before EVERYONE screams Birmingham & they will, let me just ask this...you can't seriously be comparing the pit of hell Montgomery with one of Alabama's most lovely cities? IT"S A NO-BRAINER!!!!

By the way, ANY city but Montgomery...even Huntsville will do (Just kidding all you Huntsville lovers)!
I was merely asking for an opinion. I myself was not comparing Montgomery with Birmingham. Heck, I have never visited the state of Alabama let alone Birmingham and Montgomery. I'm just a nice, simple, courteous Yankee who is seeking out the opinions of some nice southern folks. I hope I have made myself clear, and apologize for not having done so sooner.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:41 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Birmingham, of course. Will you meet nice Girls Raised In The South? Chances are you will, especially if you attend a few church functions, visit the surrounding towns, stop to say hi, or even breathe the air. Be aware that some of the women can make an art of social climbing, and the unwary male can get ensnared before he knows what happened.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:56 PM

37 posts, read 204,270 times
If the choice *must* be between the two, perhaps because of job offers you've received, I'd say Birmingham for sure. However, do consider other possibilities (including the already mentioned Huntsville.)

As for meeting a "nice southern gal", sure, you have a chance at that. Your best bets would be to ask co-workers for introductions to their cousins/sisters/neighbors/friends and become active in groups where you can meet like-minded people. Folks around here often ask newcomers if they've found a "church home" yet (on the first meeting.) That's one place where you may find someone. But there are also groups that focus on outdoor activities, such as kayaking/canoeing or skeet shooting or model rocket flying (well, the latter may be more popular in Huntsville.) Book clubs seem to be increasing, too. Young men, at least the ones I know, are still brought up to say "Yes, ma'am" and "Yes, sir", to hold doors open, to refrain from cussing around ladies, and generally be considerate and mannerly. I know that good manners are not found solely in the South, but we do tend to set more store by them than most folks. A courteous Yankee such as yourself would be welcomed down here.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Default No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrich View Post

I was merely asking for an opinion. I myself was not comparing Montgomery with Birmingham. Heck, I have never visited the state of Alabama let alone Birmingham and Montgomery. I'm just a nice, simple, courteous Yankee who is seeking out the opinions of some nice southern folks. I hope I have made myself clear, and apologize for not having done so sooner.
No problem, I think the poster was just telling you Montgomery would not be his first choice.

You didn't say anything about jobs so if H'ville is out of the picture, you would want to look at the areas around B'ham and not the city itself, I am sure the good folks here can tell you best places to live.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,116 times
birmingham, no doubt

Old 08-18-2007, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 41,788 times
prattville,which is about 20 miles north of montgomery is an awesome town that is growing like crazy. the new bass pro shops just opened. it is 150,000 square feet of pure enjoyment. montgomery also has several tier one suppliers for hyundai and kia. birmingham is a really slummy town. every thing is built on top of each other. bham is very confusing to get around in. montgomery on the other hand is still a big city with a small town apeal. i have lived here all my life and i hate to go to birmingham because it reminds me so much of atlanta. it is always so crowded anywhere u go. i you like to fish and have a boat u can be in the water at 10 or 15 locations within 30 minutes. the riverfront is also growing. they have been having alot of concerts on the river. any more questions just ask. ps the crime rate in montgomery is alot lower than birmingham.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:16 AM

13 posts, read 69,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpartsman View Post
prattville,which is about 20 miles north of montgomery is an awesome town that is growing like crazy. the new bass pro shops just opened. it is 150,000 square feet of pure enjoyment. montgomery also has several tier one suppliers for hyundai and kia. birmingham is a really slummy town. every thing is built on top of each other. bham is very confusing to get around in. montgomery on the other hand is still a big city with a small town apeal. i have lived here all my life and i hate to go to birmingham because it reminds me so much of atlanta. it is always so crowded anywhere u go. i you like to fish and have a boat u can be in the water at 10 or 15 locations within 30 minutes. the riverfront is also growing. they have been having alot of concerts on the river. any more questions just ask. ps the crime rate in montgomery is alot lower than birmingham.
There is a BPS being built down here in Spanish Fort. There is much anticipation.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
What are you looking for? What are your needs? How will you support yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama