U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:01 AM

39 posts, read 110,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Why not just improve U.S. 43 between Florence and Mobile? Build limited-access bypasses around Florence and Tuscaloosa; multiplex it with I-20 between Tuscaloosa and Eutaw, and widen it to a four-lane arterial highway between Eutaw and Grove Hill. BAM! Problem solved.
A good bit of that is underway if you believe the Alabama DOT. The weekly paper says we can expect a new US 43/AL 5 intersection in Thomasville with 4-lane running north to a bypass around Linden.
Some of you have seen the hay sculptures on the Byrd farm below Eutaw. The Mobile paper reported several years ago the DOT was trying to convince Mr. Byrd to sell the property where he does his artwork. Byrd suggested they bring the new lanes through on the east side of the present roadway. The DOT guy said "Your neighbor may not want to sell either."
Byrd replied "Buddy, I own that side too."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
Any news on the I-10 connector project? Is this projected to connect in Montgomery or Columbus Ga area?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 PM

39 posts, read 110,453 times
The only news of any kind I have seen was the ceremony in September for construction of an interchange on I-85 and the first three miles of the Montgomery Outer Loop down to Vaughn Road. Please hold your applause.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 AM

17,848 posts, read 54,121,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Ameri-Metro's announcement Tuesday, 9/20/11, seems to have caught all city/state officials unaware of proposed tollway. First media report from Ameri-Metro states that the south end of this tollway was to be in Orange Beach... however, this is later corrected by Ameri-Metro spokesman who stated that this is to begin at the Port of Mobile, not Orange Beach... and is to extend somewhere around Hwy 43 all the way across the state to the northern border of Alabama... with a future planned freight/passenger train - along with the largest airport - complex in AL, to be built around Montgomery or Birmingham.

Conflicting reports galore since this announcement hit the news yesterday (see links below 'though there are many more). This is just amazing to me that an outside company can come into a state with such a plan, with supposedly condemnation rights along the route already granted to them by a previous governor (Governor Bob Riley), without contacting any current state/city officials before making their announcement, especially without the current regimes seemingly having no prior knowledge of this proposal.

Personally, while I am all for progress where it serves the best interests of the citizens and communities within the state, I'd like to see this one proposed project squashed asap, as I don't see any benefits to be derived from this for the local economy or citizens long term.

However, I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions, thoughts as well (I can possibly be swayed ), so please do join in with yours! Thanks!

See Links:
300-mile road to start in Orange Beach? Not exactly - Baldwin County NOW - A Gulf Coast Information Source for South Alabama (http://www.baldwincountynow.com/articles/2011/09/21/local_news/doc4e78df36cf582335706377.txt - broken link)

Ameri-Metro: The toll road is real, and happening - CBS 42 Birmingham, AL News Weather Sports

Toll road leader says $7 billion project won't need public money | al.com

Ameri Metro officials move to keep state officials informed on toll road project - TimesDaily.com
Sometimes I'm a little slow...

Southern leg of Keystone pipeline a "priority," Obama says

Southern leg of Keystone pipeline a "priority," Obama says - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Now it begins to make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama