Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times

Advertisements

Land Line Magazine: The Business Magazine for Professional Truckers

What do y'all think of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Hate it. They should do away with speed limits on highways altogether.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:57 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
I hate it as well. All it will do is open the door for all the little podunk towns to set up speed traps all along the interstates. It will be like Henry county Georgia where their county cops hide behind every concrete barrier they can find in hopes of writing speeding tickets and stuffing the city revenues. Because of this habit of theirs, I make it a point to never ever stop at an exit in Henry county GA on my way through as to prevent giving them any tax revenue. If Alabama passes this law and the little towns start their speed traps, I will start adding them to my list of non-stops.

I also think the speed limits on Interstates are too low. The average speed has and always will be around 80-85. Study after study has shown that this is the speed most drivers feel comfortable on interstates and that is why the average speed is in this range. It also happens to be the speed for which interstates are designed. In my opinion, the speed limit should be raised to at least 80 but I would prefer 85 and then pass a nationwide, stay right and pass on left law where drivers are only allowed to pass slower traffic in the left most lane and then must move right. Then enforce the d@mn thing. They have this law in some states now, including Florida but they don't enforce it. Cruising in the left lane, impeding other traffic flow leads to frustration and erratic driving by other drivers who want to move on, which leads to accidents.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I also think the speed limits on Interstates are too low. The average speed has and always will be around 80-85. Study after study has shown that this is the speed most drivers feel comfortable on interstates and that is why the average speed is in this range. It also happens to be the speed for which interstates are designed. In my opinion, the speed limit should be raised to at least 80 but I would prefer 85 and then pass a nationwide, stay right and pass on left law where drivers are only allowed to pass slower traffic in the left most lane and then must move right. Then enforce the d@mn thing. They have this law in some states now, including Florida but they don't enforce it. Cruising in the left lane, impeding other traffic flow leads to frustration and erratic driving by other drivers who want to move on, which leads to accidents.
I couldn't agree more with this. Highways are designed for high speeds. Those that want to cruise around lazily should do so on the right lane and enter the left ONLY to pass. (They should preferably/ideally use back roads if they aren't in a hurry).
As for the OP's article, I strongly disagree with it and I hope the bill does NOT pass. This will be abused by probably all rural small towns that want extra revenue. I-20 between Birmingham and the Alabama State line is bad enough!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
80 mph, ironically, is the same as the 130 km/hr speed limit on the German autobahn. And they have a far smaller highway fatality rate than we do. Coincidence or not?

Just something to think about, I guess.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM

231 posts, read 595,549 times
Default Alabama changing traffic laws

It will be a disaster. This will result in a series of speed traps from one end of the State to the other. Given the economics and spending habits of all Municipalities traffic fines have become their pot of Gold. Tennessee has experienced near fights between State Troopers and locals over who gets to issue tickets.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 AM

561 posts, read 1,512,806 times
Yep, looks like it will be open season for speed traps with the legislature's blessing. I would think local enforcement officers should have enough to do without trolling the interstates for sources of revenue. If they don't, then there's an idea to save money.....cut those jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama