Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:48 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
exactly.. I agree and i live in a town where they were saying a prayer over the loud speaker at every football game until this year. I have friends here who are religious and some who are not. Some are liberals and some are very conserative.

That is just like the movie 'sweet home al' a cute movie but it was not filmed in al either, in ga iirc. I think they shouldn't be allowed to use al unless they are filming here and hiring alabamians..
like! Like! Like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
This show looks stupid. Duh, you are not in NyC anymore! More exaggerated stereotypes. Looks like they ripped off sweet home alabama.
More like they ripped off Doc Hollywood.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
I really don't believe the idea that southerners would disown someone simply because they were nonreligious or liberal. I think this is an inflated, distorted perception that the rest of the country has about the South. I mean, last month I was in Mississippi and interacted with plenty of people. None of them seemed close minded or bigoted, except for maybe one older guy (but who knows). I was like....wow, this place is not like northerners perceive it to be.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 AM

We can always trust that unbiased media to give us the real picture of how people and places are, can't we?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
You do know that there are liberals and non-religious people in Alabama right? Do Northerners really think that every single person down here is a Bible-thumping, gay-bashing, Huckabee voter?
Of course I am aware there is a spectrum of opinions and lifestyles in Alabama. There are diverse views on politics and religion here in Philadelphia as well although it must be noted that in a city of 1.53 million people only 17% are registered as Republican.

An acquaintance of mine is a middle-aged man from Pennsylvania who lived for many years in the suburbs of Atlanta (not exactly out in the boondocks!) who happened to be Jewish. He recently moved back here, taking a huge loss on the sale of his home. He and his wife complained bitterly that whenever it was learned that they were Jewish, they frequently were the targets of polite and well meaning folks who tried to evangelize or convert them. He alleged that many folks do not take "no" for an answer. According to this man, he, his wife and his family were regarded as some kind of "prize" if they were successfully proselytized. This family felt they had no choice but to move back.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Of course I am aware there is a spectrum of opinions and lifestyles in Alabama. There are diverse views on politics and religion here in Philadelphia as well although it must be noted that in a city of 1.53 million people only 17% are registered as Republican.

An acquaintance of mine is a middle-aged man from Pennsylvania who lived for many years in the suburbs of Atlanta (not exactly out in the boondocks!) who happened to be Jewish. He recently moved back here, taking a huge loss on the sale of his home. He and his wife complained bitterly that whenever it was learned that they were Jewish, they frequently were the targets of polite and well meaning folks who tried to evangelize or convert them. He alleged that many folks do not take "no" for an answer. According to this man, he, his wife and his family were regarded as some kind of "prize" if they were successfully proselytized. This family felt they had no choice but to move back.
How is it that my Hindu friends have managed to live in Buckhead for decades without facing the same problems, I wonder?

When we moved here (town in Texas), it held a record for most churches per capita than any place in the country...22 years later, and I have never once been asked to convert.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How is it that my Hindu friends have managed to live in Buckhead for decades without facing the same problems, I wonder?

When we moved here (town in Texas), it held a record for most churches per capita than any place in the country...22 years later, and I have never once been asked to convert.
don't a lot of northern transplants live in Buckhead?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
don't a lot of northern transplants live in Buckhead?
Yeah, but last I checked, they were allowed to roam free throughout the city and surrounding area.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I actually had a conversation about that with my Jewish friend. I explained to him that as a Buddhist I have found that Christians trying to proselytize me usually give up after 30 seconds. You see they cannot quote the Bible or "sell" the idea of Jesus being a Messiah to me because those ideas and concepts are foreign to me and do not make sense. (It would be futile for me to try to discuss Buddhist concepts such as insight, enlightenment, Nirvana, the Four Noble Truths, reincarnation, etc. to them) My friend pointed out that Christianity is an outgrowth of Judaism and these evangelists try to make their case in terms that supposedly should make perfect sense to a Jew. On top of that, some Christians believe it is a special victory or triumph to convert a Jew because that will hasten the second coming of Christ ... we Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, Shintoists, Taoists, are just reprobate paganists to them - and they do not have the same level of motivation to convert us.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I really don't believe the idea that southerners would disown someone simply because they were nonreligious or liberal. I think this is an inflated, distorted perception that the rest of the country has about the South. I mean, last month I was in Mississippi and interacted with plenty of people. None of them seemed close minded or bigoted, except for maybe one older guy (but who knows). I was like....wow, this place is not like northerners perceive it to be.
Hey, we have known that all along. Don't tell any of your Northern pals. Let just keep it our little secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama