U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:04 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,119,247 times

Advertisements

I noticed that tonight a new show is premiering on the CW channel, called Heart of Dixie. It's about a young woman who is forced to relocate from NYC to small town Alabama, for her medical career. When she gets there, she has a hard time adjusting, and she even goes as far to say that she doesn't fit in and everyone hates her.

Is this really how AL people think of yankees/northerners? Or is it just pure baloney and the media falsely portraying southerners' attitudes toward notherners? I actually drove through AL last month and stopped at a rest area in Eutaw, AL and other people who seemed like they were from AL would literally say "hi" to me and smile even though I was a total stranger. Therefore, I think this TV show is complete baloney.

What do you think?

Hart of Dixie (promo 3) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,723,251 times
Southerners are, as a rule, hospitable. What they dislike are Northerners who come down with the attitude that they're just a bunch of toothless, knuckle-dragging halfwits. The worst ones are the ones who start complaining about the place ten minutes after the moving van is unpacked. Those are the ones who are cordially disliked.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,579,067 times
Ever notice how they put NYC against small town southern life, as if to imply that the northeast is all urban big city, while the south is all rural and slow. Insane, I tell you.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,245,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
people who seemed like they were from AL would literally say "hi" to me and smile even though I was a total stranger. Therefore, I think this TV show is complete baloney.
I'm not from Alabama, or NYC! But I am looking forward to watching this show tonight.

As for whether the premise is realistic or not, I would have to say that most places are friendly on the surface, and people definitely smile and say hello to tourists. But it can be a very different thing to actually live in a place. Trying to make real friends? Trying to fit into a community? That can be difficult thing for a recent transplant.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,097,500 times
Was the misspelling of "heart" intentional?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,798,916 times
MonaLisaVito - the title character is "Zoe Hart".

Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,097,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
MonaLisaVito - the title character is "Zoe Hart".
Oh, ok!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Sounds like it's total baloney then. I have thought about moving down south and AL is one of the states I've considered. All I did was drive through it though and I thought it was drop dead gorgeous (the entire length of I-20 W). If I moved there, I wouldn't start complaining and act like things were better back home in CT. Instead, I would seek to appreciate the change and go with the flow. I am a 27 year old male. The only thing that concerns me is that I am homosexual and nonreligous, which apparently is suicide in Alabama. But I'm a reserved, friendly person, and most people wouldn't know I was gay unless they really got to know me. Is AL really that bad with things like that? Or is this yet another element of perception that northerners have of the deep south? That would be a shame, because I'm really considering living there and only want to treat others kindly and respectfully and contribute to society.

I wouldn't be interested in moving to the Birmingham area. I'd rather move to a smaller urban area or semi-rural. Gasden? Tuscaloosa?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,798,916 times
nep321 - being gay and nonreligious isn't "suicide", especially since you're "reserved" and "friendly". Keep in mind that gay marriage isn't likely to be accepted anytime soon (voters approved a state Constitutional Amendment defining marriage with over 80% support).

Check out Huntsville for a gorgeous small urban area.

IMO being liberal in Alabama would be really bad...

Old 09-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
nep321 - being gay and nonreligious isn't "suicide", especially since you're "reserved" and "friendly". Keep in mind that gay marriage isn't likely to be accepted anytime soon (voters approved a state Constitutional Amendment defining marriage with over 80% support).

Check out Huntsville for a small urban area.

IMO being liberal in Alabama would be really bad...
Well, even though I'm gay and nonreligous, I am fiscally conservative and have always voted Republican. But at the same time, I am for marriage equality and am pro-choice. Can't stand Obama, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama