Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,891 times

Advertisements

We're digging this up again out of months past but...

I do not remember where it is stated in the laws, but I believe if your kids are not in school they cannot be left alone during school hours - they must be with some kind of adult instructor (no matter who that is.) Just about any cover school, no matter how laid back, has a parent agreement that states that your children will be with an adult between the hours of 8 am - 2 pm or something like that.

Now, there's something to be said for self-learning, and a diligent learner CAN learn without a teacher present during every moment of the process. I firmly believe that the best teachers are not "teachers" at all, but take on a role as facilitator and guide. I do hope the kids are at least older and the parents are taking a very active role in reviewing progress each and every evening when they are home. Not the way I would choose to educate my children, but personally I would respect the parents' freedom unless I saw firm evidence that the children were being actively deprived of the opportunity to learn. If they are literate and have access to books and resources, they absolutely can learn. Think about it - a good university education is usually comprised mostly of independent learning - a few hours a week of lectures, maybe a lab here and there, but it is up t the student to study and learn. People are capable of this kind of learning far earlier than we think, and it is how people have educated themselves throughout most of history. With the resources we have available now with modern technology and media, it is easier than ever to learn without a traditional classroom or teacher.

Younger children... that is tougher. Very few people can develop basic reading and writing skills without very involved feedback from a teacher, and without reading and writing fluency there is a limit to what can be learned independently. Although, I admit when I am too sick to teach my kids, my "substitute" is a pile of assignments and strict instructions on what I expect to be done by my kids by the end of their school time. I am convinced this "substitute" results in far more learning than than a typical day in with a public substitute teacher!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 8,927 times
I'm relocating to AL from GA and am quite confused about the 'church school' issue. Exactly what paperwork does the church maintain? Here in GA, I mail our monthly attendance report to the county BOE. Other than a yearly letter of intent, that is all the paperwork required.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,891 times
The "church school" maintains an enrollment form and attendance (which is usually requested from the parent once a year). If the parents cease to be enrolled (presumably by failing to turn in attendance sheets), the church school has to notify the district.

The "church school" is in most cases a legal facade and nothing more. The Alabama legal perspective is that a person's right to homeschool is protected under the 1st amendment, and therefore if your child is being educated for some sort of religious/ideological reason, the state will not interfere unless there is evidence of parental negligence.

Many cover schools require more as is their choice. Some require meetings with counselors and advisors and for testing and that grades be submitted. Your cover school can pretty much be as hands-off or as hands-on as you choose.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,367 times
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Report them (anonymously) to the state Department of Human Resources.
It may take more than one call or letter. DHR social workers are overwhelmed in some counties. There should be an office in your county or a neighboring one that serves your county.
How can you give this type of advice without even knowing the kids ages? I home schooled my kids and I had two that were very good at keeping up with their work and was checked by me daily. Maybe you should get the whole story before ruining someones life and remember there is 2 sides to every story.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,018 times
Not sure why you want to report anyone. If the kids are doing their work, their parents are reviewing the work at night, etc. and they are old enough to stay by themselves, I think it is a bit presumptuous to assume that they are automatically being cheated out of an education simply because their parents are not home all day long. There are other options and other ways of educating. You might try asking some questions and approaching the situation with an open mind. Homeschooling can occurr year round, too, so they might only be doing a limited amount of study each day, versus the traditional all day approach.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,944 times
Our Home Church operates a Part time Christian Day school and cover school for homeschoolers. Curriculum is your choice. We do require a small cover fee (once per year) because I have to cover expenses for all paper work, postage, and ink myself.
[url=http://rockchristianacademy.wordpress.com/]The ROCK Christian Academy[/url]

Old 05-09-2014, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,496 times
Smile help

Deltabell1978 what cover school do u use that sounds like a good deal? and how many kids do u have I have 3 2 in the same grade so does the 95 dollars cover books for all kids or for each one?

Do u have to go through a cover school or can I use the name of my home church really did not get what u were saying cn u tell it in lamest terms please!

Thank you!

Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Deltabell's last post was in 2008.
I doubt she'll be back to read your question.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,219 times
I had a friend who passed away last summer. She was home schooling her three children. Of course, the father did not know anything about the curriculum because he was the sole provider for the family and he worked long hours each day. After his wife passed away, their aunt, who is past the age of 75 tried to home school them herself. However, since she did not have a clue as what to do, she hired a licensed teacher who was not working to home school the children for her. This was a great idea, because this teacher found that they were behind in several areas and have worked with them bringing them to their true grade level. Therefore, I would suggest that if possible, try to hire a licensed, certified teacher who maybe unemployed or retired, to home school your child if you are unable to do so. In fact, if anyone is interested in hiring this teacher to home school your child or children, email her at [email]kimij11@yahoo.com[/email]. She is really great!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,622 times
I live in Alabama particularly Madison county and just contacted the county today 5/14/2015, they told me that if I choose to do homeschooling all I need is to fill out a form in the student support services in the local office, from there on I can choose whatever program based on my childs needs and I never have to send in the report card EVER AND AT ANY GRADE K-12 to the state. it is pretty much my responsibility for my child to be up to parr. church school is not mandatory is what they told me.. I think it is the actual homescool academy/curriculum that requires reports.. there are absolutely no requirement to test, it is for your own benefit they told me..

btw.. I am new to this and this info is what the county administrator told me. If anyone knows other let me know. i will go to the county office and see if they can provide written statement for my own records. From there on, i will be doing research for my childs curriculum for the upcoming 2015-16 year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama