Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 14,000 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job offer in Montgomery AL and I will be moving with my wife to the neighborhood. But I am a little confused if I should be living in Montgomery or commute from Auburn. Biggest concern being social life. Auburn being a college town, I figured it might have a much better social life / activities to do / finding job for my wife. Is my view point right? I will be moving from DC metro area. Thanks for your inputs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,338,554 times
For a daily commute, Auburn is a hefty distance.
Does your wife's job entail a university or college? There are a couple of colleges in Montgomery, as well as Tuskegee Institute in between Montgomery and Auburn. Plus a couple or three community colleges, as well.
If you're very young and having 25,000 college kids in a town of around 25,000 or so year-round residents appeals to you, then go for it. For a little more mature lifestyle, look around east Montgomery.
I do hope you're planning an in-person visit.
Good luck to ya!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM

23,968 posts, read 10,313,645 times
That commute will get old and expensive in no time. Your social life will be limited to Saturday/Sunday.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 PM

358 posts, read 707,931 times
I'm curious, why do you think there might be more to do in Auburn than Montgomery? Auburn is nice enough but it's a college town where activities center around student life. Montgomery is a small city and has much more to offer. See my other posts about Montgomery. I firmly believe the city's negative reputation (perhaps fairly deserved 20+ years ago) is way out of date. My wife and I really enjoyed it. It's not Manhattan. It's not San Francisco. But there is plenty to do. Just do some basic research on what the area has to offer. And for goodness sakes don't voluntarily take on a cummute like that. Painful.

Last edited by point80; 01-04-2012 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Since I have not been to the south, I made an assumption that college town would have more things to do than Montgomery. I am not too fond of the commute as well and that was one of the reason why I wanted feedback..

I understand that E Montgomery is developing well (Taylor road / Vaughn Road). How are the hospitals and schooling system around there?

@southlander: my wife is in writing industry and not does not necessarily entail college/univ. I was not sure how the job prospects are for her around there. I will be visiting Montgomery probably in a week or two to look at the neighborhood.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM

358 posts, read 707,931 times
There is a large Baptist hospital right on Taylor road. My first daughter was born there. It's a large, modern complex.

The elementary public school at Halcyon near Eastchase is supposed to be pretty good. And there is a new elementary (Blount) serving the area farther east down Vaughn. Beyond that, private schooling is very popular in that area. Enjoy the visit!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:46 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,061,280 times
Many ppl who work in Montgomery live in Prattville. You might talk to your employer and get suggestions of areas to live.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 PM

234 posts, read 705,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincek923 View Post
I recently got a job offer in Montgomery AL and I will be moving with my wife to the neighborhood. But I am a little confused if I should be living in Montgomery or commute from Auburn. Biggest concern being social life. Auburn being a college town, I figured it might have a much better social life / activities to do / finding job for my wife. Is my view point right? I will be moving from DC metro area. Thanks for your inputs..
If you're looking for better nightlife, Montgomery is the place to look. The city has been investing MILLIONS in its downtown area and it has paid of tremendously. Looking at the quality of nightlife in Alabama, rankings look about like this, IMO:

1) Birmingham
2) Mobile
3) Montgomery
4) Huntsville
5) Tuscaloosa
6) Auburn

Especially considering you're moving from DC, I think Montgomery is a much better fit. The downtown area has been gaining a lot of momentum in the past 5 to 7 years, even during the recession. Auburn's downtown/entertainment district type area is of good quality, but I think the quantity of your options are much lower than larger cities like Montgomery, Birmingham, or even Tuscaloosa.

Taking into account both quality of life and nightlife, I think Montgomery is the best option among the two cities.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 9,906 times
Just do some basic research on what the area has to offer. And for goodness sakes don't voluntarily take on a cummute like that. Painful.http://www.*****.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Hey guys, I really appreciate all of your inputs. My wife and I flew in last weekend and checked out the neighborhood. The East Montgomery did look good / safe. Also we took a quick trip to Auburn and did realize that I will not be able to do that on a long term basis. So Montgomery it is.. We are looking forward to it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama